Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VPN Issue

Re: VPN Issue

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    That's because their logic is that if you live in the continental U.S. you should be able to physically attend the games (lol)
    i mean, just hop on one of the many bullet trains, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    you think that's bad, I live 5 and a half hours from Cincy and 4 and a half hours from Atlanta and they are both considered in market for me.
    even though it does not affect me, it pisses me off to hear this nonsense. MLB could not be any dumber if they tried.

2. Likes:

wlf WV (04-13-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by UKWhoDey View Post
    Yep. Which particularly pisses off fans like me who live an hour and a half away in Lexington. Sorry Commish, I can't seem to find the time to drive to Cincinnati night in and night out to attend in person.

It also makes it even stupider as far as road games go. Half the season their argument for attendance doesn't even hold water.
    In Ohio, the Red's broadcast area, where one is considered "local", is pretty much the entire state stretching north surrounding the outskirts of Cuyahoga Co. (Cleveland) LOL

I'm as central Ohio as one can get - 3 hours from Cleveland, 2 1/2 from Cincy.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

5. Likes:

UKWhoDey (04-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    It is and also Cincinnati and I think Detroit
    IMO, this is another "tricky" way MLB gets over on their fans ... having multiple "local" tags, subject to blackout, placed upon you based on your physical location (proximity) to several major cities (teams). I'm considered local, blacked out, for both Ohio teams. And as mentioned, someone living in northern Indiana gets tagged for the Cubs, Tigers, Reds, and maybe even Indians (lol).

That's why I made the sarcastic remark about living in the continent U.S. makes one subject to MLB's blackout rule (lol).

I've been able to watch the games fine on my computer with NordVPN and a HDMI to the telly. Need to get me a wireless keyboard (lol).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

7. Likes:

wlf WV (04-13-2021)

Pity the poor people who live in Iowa, I believe I read they are blacked out for....

Cubs
    White Sox
    Cardinals
    Twins
    Brewers
    Royals

Ridiculous.

9. Likes:

Chip R (04-12-2021),GAC (04-12-2021),Old school 1983 (04-12-2021),UKWhoDey (04-17-2021)

I feel like Jonah Hill trying to buy some boots.

https://youtu.be/uGxRg5I7r5s?t=46
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

11. Likes:

Chip R (04-12-2021),GAC (04-12-2021),JFLegal (04-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlite Graham View Post
    Pity the poor people who live in Iowa, I believe I read they are blacked out for....

Cubs
    White Sox
    Cardinals
    Twins
    Brewers
    Royals

Ridiculous.
    Yep. they are really getting screwed. But you know who is getting screwed the most? Canadians. Toronto is the only team in the whole country but if you don't have the chanell that carries the Jays, you're blacked out no matter where you live in Canada whether it's British Columbia or Nova Scotia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Parenthetical note... I see the title VPN Issue and I think I’m on a Cisco site or getting an outside email from a work cohort and their VPN failing. I didn’t know being an IT person was a prerequisite for watching Reds game.

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

14. Likes:

GAC (04-12-2021),The Operator (04-12-2021)

And I thought I had it bad. I live in Albuquerque and games in Phoenix and Denver, each about 500 miles away, are blacked out.
    Does any sane person believe that if a game in those cities is blacked out, I will immediately hop on an airplane to see a game in person?

16. Likes:

Chip R (04-13-2021),The Operator (04-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by elrojo View Post
    And I thought I had it bad. I live in Albuquerque and games in Phoenix and Denver, each about 500 miles away, are blacked out.
    Does any sane person believe that if a game in those cities is blacked out, I will immediately hop on an airplane to see a game in person?
    A sane person? No.

MLB Brass? You betcha!
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Parenthetical note... I see the title VPN Issue and I think I’m on a Cisco site or getting an outside email from a work cohort and their VPN failing. I didn’t know being an IT person was a prerequisite for watching Reds game.

Sorry Roy, it does come off a little IT-ish, guess I could've been more colorful or descriptive in my title.....or just used this emoji

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlite Graham View Post
    Sorry Roy, it does come off a little IT-ish, guess I could've been more colorful or descriptive in my title.....or just used this emoji
    Not a problem at all, it’s the real world. It’s pretty interesting.

Probably worthy of its own thread, but the continued fragmentation of the digital Reds media world makes me wonder. For those who want online access, be careful for what you wish for. It’s ends up looking like this.

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

I'm blacked out from Baltimore and Washington, it's 450 miles to Camden Yards and 410 miles to Nationals Park from here. Everyone who lives here is either a Reds or Braves fan, it's 250 miles to Cincinnati and 350 miles to Atlanta. While neither of those are what anyone would define as close, us being blacked out from the O's has always been comical. In fact, a third team, the Pirates are even closer, 380 miles from here.

Add in that Detroit is about 475 miles from here and St. Louis is 500, given traffic, you could potentially be in five other MLB ballparks before you could ever get to Camden Yards, where we are blacked out from.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

I was told that IT was the abbreviation for IDIOT.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I was told that IT was the abbreviation for IDIOT.
    Hey, be nice

My favorite is Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart aka CAPTCHA. I told someone that recently and I couldn’t convince them it was real.

23. Likes:

GAC (04-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    It's not about attending the game so home or away doesn't matter. It's about TV money. The local TV contract is based on an assumption of exclusivity. The Reds big TV contract with Fox Sports Ohio (now Bally's) was for the amount it was based on a public with access through that contract (and only that way), which includes any area that may air the games on affiliated networks such as Fox sports Indiana or Kentucky, etc. If it wasn't exclusive, the money would have been a lot less. So, MLB complies with that contract by blacking out MLBTV in areas where access to that broadcast would violate that exclusivity. If they didn't the local TV revenue would drop like a rock and the price of MLBTV would skyrocket and people wouldn't buy that either.

That blackout isn't going to go away and MLB will do what they can to enforce it. They stand to lose billions if not. MLBTV is specifically priced the way it is based on giving people to access out of market games, not the home town team. That's what people are paying for when they buy MLBTV. I don't like it either, but the business behind it makes sense.
    Exactly, and it’s the main reason why the Dodgers are the best team in baseball.
    May the Lord bless

25. Likes:

mth123 (04-13-2021)

Turn Off Ads?