Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lorenzen to 60 day IL per Sheldon

Re: Lorenzen to 60 day IL per Sheldon

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don’t get the love for Perez.

There’s nothing in his history showing that, at this stage, he’s more than an MLB fill in.

He’s young so more seasoning might help him control his pitches. Has an option so he can get that seasoning at AAA.

Why DFA Romano who has a rubber arm and can soak up innings?
    Because. in my opinion, Perez is a better pitcher than Romano at this point. Keep the better pitcher. They can find ineffective innings anywhere. No need to prioritize keeping some one for that.

Nobody is going to claim Romano. He can go to AAA and start and work on his pitches. He'll never be effective until he learns a change up. Not as a starter or reliever. He needs innings to do that. In the bullpen, he never even throws it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I’ve been b*tching about the Reds bullpen since they released Archie Bradley last December (and yes I know he’s out 3-4 weeks). But when your biggest bullpen signing is hoping for a Sean Doolittle comeback and a lot of lottery tickets you hope your staff can coach up, it doesn’t take a genius to foresee bullpen woes.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

4. Likes:

mth123 (04-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Where is the evidence in Perez’s pitching history that he is such a special prospect? Or big league ready?

Since AA he hasn’t done anything much statistically. Houston had him on a minor league shuttle before letting him go. He can’t seem to find home plate.

Seems more hype than anything else, at least so far. I don’t see any equivalence to DeLeon, who has compiled great K rates and was so highly rated.
    I agree he's a long shot. I am not going to complain if he's sent down.. The plus with Perez is that when he has an outing with control, he can be dominant. But you have a good point, if he hasn't figured out control by now, the odds of him doing so aren't that great.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    People are *****ing about depth are the people that cried when Paxton signed elsewhere. The pitcher that just had season ending surgery.

Hi, I’m baseball, have we met?
    You are wrong, few, if any people complained when Paxton signed elsewhere.
    Sure, Paxton was mentioned, along with maybe 20 other guys as a possible budget conscious move.
    No one was saying, "If we only sign Paxton, everything will be alright".
    It was more like a Dolittle/Bedrosian move.. sign a guy off an injury for depth because they are willing to sign at a discount.
    A weak argument by you.
    How about making the argument that the Reds properly planned for this season? Oh, you can't do it, because now all their scrap heap pickups are getting exposed.
    The Reds prioritized minimizing the budget this year over trying to win.. The thin pitching staff is evidence of that. Why not just accept that, instead of getting offended when someone points it out? You are the most manic-depressive poster on this board.. One day you are mad at the Reds for lying, the next day you are defending them because Paxton got hurt (which makes no logical sense).. It's not our job to build the pitching staff.. It's Krall's. We can
    throw out ideas, but he is the one that is actually paid to do it. So we are holding him (and ownership) accountable.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

7. Likes:

JFLegal (04-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Because. in my opinion, Perez is a better pitcher than Romano at this point. Keep the better pitcher. They can find ineffective innings anywhere. No need to prioritize keeping some one for that.

Nobody is going to claim Romano. He can go to AAA and start and work on his pitches. He'll never be effective until he learns a change up. Not as a starter or reliever. He needs innings to do that. In the bullpen, he never even throws it.
    Maybe all true, but Perez has a minor league option and so far can’t throw strikes.

We’ll see what Reds do, need to make a move.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-15-2021 at 09:02 PM.

Just keep both. Romano can elect free agency, he’s been outrighted once before.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Just keep both. Romano can elect free agency, he’s been outrighted once before.
    Why are we afraid to lose him? He's had multiple chances and only gets a spot by default this year. The thing is, I like Romano, but he's not a big league pitcher after all this time. He's 27 now. Perez turns 25 next week. throws harder and he's left handed. .
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

Griffey012 (04-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The guy that has started 30 games every season over the past 10 years except 2018? Wut?
    C'mon, man. He's 34 with 1,400 innings on his arm. His last three seasons have gone: 80.2 IP, 167.1 IP, 14.1 IP. You show me the outlier. You tell me you think he's got 150 IP in him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Major League Baseball as a whole is already having pitching depth problems. The Reds are not unique in having some early injuries. Fortunately, aside from Lorenzen none have been serious. Chill out and enjoy some baseball, sheesh.
    The Reds aren't unique, but when they finish in the bottom quarter of staff ERA, are we then allowed to criticize? Or should we continue to hold off and enjoy the baseball? Give me the signal when it's okay to do a light criticism.

How about y'all chill out? Can some of us hold discussions that go beyond, "Who boy, here we come, World Series!!1!"?

13. Likes:

mth123 (04-16-2021),REDREAD (04-16-2021)

Why are we afraid to lose him? .
    Because Romano is being useful right now. That would be a reason, if Reds agree.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-15-2021 at 10:55 PM.

15. Likes:

Chip R (04-16-2021),Old school 1983 (04-16-2021)

Not liking the talk of sending Perez down. I think the easy call is to DFA Romano.
    Romano had been pitching good and is eating up innings. Not sure why that would be an easy call at all

17. Likes:

Chip R (04-16-2021)

Why are we afraid to lose him? He's had multiple chances and only gets a spot by default this year. The thing is, I like Romano, but he's not a big league pitcher after all this time. He's 27 now. Perez turns 25 next week. throws harder and he's left handed. .
    Because the Reds actually need guys who can throw some innings.

I agree Romano isn't very good, but that speaks of the Reds pen as well.

Optioning Perez just means he'll be back once the next injury happens, probably pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    C'mon, man. He's 34 with 1,400 innings on his arm. His last three seasons have gone: 80.2 IP, 167.1 IP, 14.1 IP. You show me the outlier. You tell me you think he's got 150 IP in him this year.

The Reds aren't unique, but when they finish in the bottom quarter of staff ERA, are we then allowed to criticize? Or should we continue to hold off and enjoy the baseball? Give me the signal when it's okay to do a light criticism.

How about y'all chill out? Can some of us hold discussions that go beyond, "Who boy, here we come, World Series!!1!"?

How about after more than 10 games. Maybe 50.

Complaining about pitching depth then wanting to option a guy who does not implode when trying to close out games with 5 plus run leads. After seeing this team struggle with pitchers who couldn’t do that. But sure. DFA. They can find anyone to give his innings too. Then I guess that means they do that depth after all?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Complaining about pitching depth then wanting to option a guy who does not implode when trying to close out games with 5 plus run leads. After seeing this team struggle with pitchers who couldn’t do that. But sure. DFA. They can find anyone to give his innings too. Then I guess that means they do that depth after all?
    So Romano has pitched 10.2 innings this year. He's given up 3 HR. His last three times out he's allowed runs. Perez had a bad outing in a short stint, but he has better stuff and a better chance to be effective in my opinion. I do agree that Perez could probably do with some time in the minors, but I'd try to hold off sending him down until the games start down there. It's probably not a major disaster if they keep Romano and move Perez down, but Deleon coming to the pen would seem to be ticketed for Romano's long relief job. Perez is a lefty with big stuff and could be used to get a lefty out in a big spot or to turn line-ups around after relieving a RH starter in a game where the opposition stacked the line-up with lefty bats. Romano can't do that. I'd rather have a guy that can help in that scenario and contribute to winning than have two guys (three with Fulmer) whose job is to eat up innings in blowouts. If they don't want to lose Romano, I'd send De Leon down. He has an option, correct? Those two guys are redundant IMO. De Leon has the higher ceiling, so that's who I'd keep, but I can see not wanting to lose Romano I guess, but I don't see losing him as a big deal. I don't see a need for 3 RH long relievers in the bullpen. If they need that many, the season is toast anyway I guess.

The Reds left themselves short in the pen this year. Anyone who wasn't thinking that every pitcher was going to have their best case outcome could see it. Now we're arguing over which minor leaguer they should keep on the staff. I think they can get a lot of guys to come in and throw ineffective garbage innings during games that are out of hand. . I'd keep the high ceiling lefty for now, but they need to be looking for some one from outside the organization. Ideally, the Reds would trade from their OF depth and pick-up a real big league reliever.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-16-2021 at 07:43 AM.

22. Likes:

Mitri (04-16-2021),REDREAD (04-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post

The Reds have got nothing out of their top 2 starters so far and have a mid-pack team ERA. Yet you are acting like this is the 2017 Reds pitching staff and the season is in the trash can. When they finish in the bottom quarter of staff ERA, really?

Like I said, enjoy some baseball.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 04-16-2021 at 10:26 AM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

24. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-16-2021),757690 (04-16-2021),Ron Madden (04-16-2021)

Turn Off Ads?