Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 172

Thread: Lorenzen to 60 day IL per Sheldon

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    30,806

    Re: Lorenzen to 60 day IL per Sheldon

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not liking the talk of sending Perez down. I think the easy call is to DFA Romano.
    I don’t get the love for Perez.

    There’s nothing in his history showing that, at this stage, he’s more than an MLB fill in.

    He’s young so more seasoning might help him control his pitches. Has an option so he can get that seasoning at AAA.

    Why DFA Romano who has a rubber arm and can soak up innings?
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-15-2021 at 02:03 PM.


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    27,095

    Re: Lorenzen to 60 day IL per Sheldon

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not liking the talk of sending Perez down. I think the easy call is to DFA Romano.
    Yea, I think there's little chance that Romano would get claimed, and even if he did, there's plenty of guys at AAA of comparable quality. Perez at least is dominating sometimes, and has upside. I'd rather Perez get the MLB coaching. Man, if they could just
    get Perez to throw a version of that breaking pitch for a strike consistently, he'd be a monster.
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  4. Likes:

    Old school 1983 (04-15-2021)

  5. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    30,806

    Re: Lorenzen to 60 day IL per Sheldon

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yea, I think there's little chance that Romano would get claimed, and even if he did, there's plenty of guys at AAA of comparable quality. Perez at least is dominating sometimes, and has upside. I'd rather Perez get the MLB coaching. Man, if they could just
    get Perez to throw a version of that breaking pitch for a strike consistently, he'd be a monster.
    Where is the evidence in Perez’s pitching history that he is such a special prospect? Or big league ready?

    Since AA he hasn’t done anything much statistically. Houston had him on a minor league shuttle before letting him go. He can’t seem to find home plate.

    Seems more hype than anything else, at least so far. I don’t see any equivalence to DeLeon, who has compiled great K rates and was so highly rated.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-15-2021 at 02:28 PM.

  6. #34
    he/him *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,353

    Re: Lorenzen to 60 day IL per Sheldon

    They keep talking about pitchers with options being extra valuable this season for a reason. If the Reds go and DFA their worst pitcher every time they make a roster move they'll be forced to throw Nick Howard by July...
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 04-15-2021 at 02:37 PM.

  7. Likes:

    BillDoran (04-15-2021),Kc61 (04-15-2021),Old school 1983 (04-15-2021)

  8. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    30,806

    Re: Lorenzen to 60 day IL per Sheldon

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    They keep talking about pitchers with options being extra valuable this season for a reason. If the Reds go and DFA their worst pitcher every time they make a roster move they'll be forced to throw Nick Howard by July...
    Also think Romano, while a limited pitcher, has a useful functional role. You can pitch him 2-3 innings and bring him back the next day or the day after.

    Not such a common trait. To date, Sal has fourth most IP and tied for most appearances on the staff.

    It’s functional, not saying he has top stuff or effectiveness, though competent so far. But it saves your better relievers to have a guy like that absorbing innings. Eventually, if he wears down, they DFA him. But don’t see why now.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-15-2021 at 03:10 PM.

  9. Likes:

    Chip R (04-16-2021),Kurt Stillwell (04-15-2021),REDREAD (04-15-2021),Tony Cloninger (04-15-2021),Tuff Nut (04-15-2021)

  10. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,481

    Re: Lorenzen to 60 day IL per Sheldon

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    There is a lack of depth? I’m shocked to hear this. Who could have predicted this?
    It is a wonder.

    Who could have known relying on three injured starters would be a problem? Who could have guessed Hoffman (wait for it) or De Leon would be pumpkins?

  11. Likes:

    REDREAD (04-15-2021)

  12. #37
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    15,605

    Re: Lorenzen to 60 day IL per Sheldon

    People are *****ing about depth are the people that cried when Paxton signed elsewhere. The pitcher that just had season ending surgery.

    Hi, I’m baseball, have we met?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  13. Likes:

    Chip R (04-16-2021),Griffey012 (04-15-2021)

  14. #38
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    33,556

    Re: Lorenzen to 60 day IL per Sheldon

    Diehl's a soft-tossing lefty who got hammered in Triple A Albuquerque and in Denver for the Rox but was otherwise pretty good throughout the minors. The Enquirer article about his pickup notes he has a strong slider so that fits with the Spincinnati mindset.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

  15. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,481

    Re: Lorenzen to 60 day IL per Sheldon

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    People are *****ing about depth are the people that cried when Paxton signed elsewhere. The pitcher that just had season ending surgery.

    Hi, I’m baseball, have we met?
    Always good to get your knee-jerk reactions.

    I never complained about Paxton, and in fact would have applauded his signing. If he'd got hurt, you chalk it up as a bad break.

    You're conflating poor planning with bad luck. The Reds decided to stretch out a reliever, rely on an injured old guy and hope Gray's back troubles were nothing. They backstopped these risks with a guy with a career 6.40 ERA and another dude whose career highlights took place in the Puerto Rican Winter League.

  16. Likes:

    JFLegal (04-15-2021),REDREAD (04-15-2021)

  17. #40
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    15,605

    Re: Lorenzen to 60 day IL per Sheldon

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Diehl's a soft-tossing lefty who got hammered in Triple A Albuquerque and in Denver for the Rox but was otherwise pretty good throughout the minors. The Enquirer article about his pickup notes he has a strong slider so that fits with the Spincinnati mindset.
    Interesting, I also got hammered in Albuquerque

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Always good to get your knee-jerk reactions.

    I never complained about Paxton, and in fact would have applauded his signing. If he'd got hurt, you chalk it up as a bad break.

    You're conflating poor planning with bad luck. The Reds decided to stretch out a reliever, rely on an injured old guy and hope Gray's back troubles were nothing. They backstopped these risks with a guy with a career 6.40 ERA and another dude whose career highlights took place in the Puerto Rican Winter League.
    Who is the injured old guy in this equation?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  18. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,481

    Re: Lorenzen to 60 day IL per Sheldon

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Interesting, I also got hammered in Albuquerque

    - - - Updated - - -



    Who is the injured old guy in this equation?
    Wade Allen Miley, the 34-year-old who threw 14 innings last year. Of course, he's been anything but a problem thus far.

  19. #42
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    15,605

    Re: Lorenzen to 60 day IL per Sheldon

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Wade Allen Miley, the 34-year-old who threw 14 innings last year. Of course, he's been anything but a problem thus far.
    The guy that has started 30 games every season over the past 10 years except 2018? Wut?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  20. Likes:

    Griffey012 (04-15-2021)

  21. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7,772

    Re: Lorenzen to 60 day IL per Sheldon

    Major League Baseball as a whole is already having pitching depth problems. The Reds are not unique in having some early injuries. Fortunately, aside from Lorenzen none have been serious. Chill out and enjoy some baseball, sheesh.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

  22. Likes:

    757690 (04-15-2021),Kurt Stillwell (04-15-2021),RED VAN HOT (04-15-2021),Ron Madden (04-15-2021),Shoeless Jeff (04-16-2021),Tom Servo (04-15-2021)

  23. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7,772

    Re: Lorenzen to 60 day IL per Sheldon

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Always good to get your knee-jerk reactions.

    I never complained about Paxton, and in fact would have applauded his signing. If he'd got hurt, you chalk it up as a bad break.

    You're conflating poor planning with bad luck. The Reds decided to stretch out a reliever, rely on an injured old guy and hope Gray's back troubles were nothing. They backstopped these risks with a guy with a career 6.40 ERA and another dude whose career highlights took place in the Puerto Rican Winter League.
    How is signing Paxton and him getting hurt a bad break yet Sonny Gray missing 2 starts is poor planning because he had a back injury at the end of last season? Paxton has been a walking injury for years.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

  24. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    279

    Re: Lorenzen to 60 day IL per Sheldon

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Who knows, you could be right. I don't follow him super close, but I have seen him doing flexibility and agility work on his social media stuff as well.
    Yeah, I'm sure his trainers forgot about his tendons and ligaments.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator