Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Reds for real?

Re: Are the Reds for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Get rid of a pitcher once Shogo gets back for sure. Quit giving Bell bad bullpen options so he can overuse them. Especially if they are not that good. When Lorenzo comes back you have an even stronger pen and even one less bad reliever.
    This is a great idea. With all the double switching and pinch running that Bell does, an extra player is of more value, than DeLeon/Fulmer/Romano -- No need for 3 mop up guys.. I really don't know what the problem with Bedrosian is. I saw him pitch a few times in the AL, he wasn't nearly this bad. IIRC, he had some kind of injury and that's why he was cut loose? The Reds need to evaluate whether he can be fixed or not.. Point is, there's other questionable guys in the pen too beyond DeLeon/Fulmer/Romano, I just chose those 3, as they were the least controversial mop up guys for the example.. Just tell Bell to drop the worst pitcher.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    This is a great idea. With all the double switching and pinch running that Bell does, an extra player is of more value, than DeLeon/Fulmer/Romano -- No need for 3 mop up guys.. I really don't know what the problem with Bedrosian is. I saw him pitch a few times in the AL, he wasn't nearly this bad. IIRC, he had some kind of injury and that's why he was cut loose? The Reds need to evaluate whether he can be fixed or not.. Point is, there's other questionable guys in the pen too beyond DeLeon/Fulmer/Romano, I just chose those 3, as they were the least controversial mop up guys for the example.. Just tell Bell to drop the worst pitcher.
    Bedrosian (and Doolittle) didn’t pitch much last year due to injury. There’s a chance that, as the rust wears off, they may do better. I’d be reluctant to make them among the first to go. At least they’ve shown major league quality in the past.

Reds may think differently, we’ll see who leaves when Gray joins.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-14-2021 at 11:34 AM.

4. Likes:

M2 (04-14-2021),REDREAD (04-14-2021)

Now that I’ve seen the rotation a couple times and the pen, I think the answer to this thread’s question is “Sonny Gray’s health.”

6. Likes:

CySeymour (04-14-2021),HokieRed (04-14-2021),Mitri (04-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post

Remember how when they had a 5-7 run lead Price would bring in the back end of the bullpen and see them implode with people wondering why he didn’t use his best? It was ridiculous how bad some of the pitching was that could not shut down a lead like that. If Romano and Fullmer pitch like they have been to have those guys close out games with 4-5 plus leads or keep games close when down by 3 plus runs. That saves the bigger arms for the other days. I know that’s going back to some set roles. At least when Dusty did that it worked. With arms like Odenkirk and Yosemite Sam. Sometimes roles designed for middle relievers work. The closer on this team should be open though. There’s 3 people who could do that role and Antone could go 2 if he had to.

Hard to trust Bell though. Bringing in Sims when tied was the best move but he brings in someone not near as reliable. In a tie game. Even if down by 1 Sims was the better option to keep it close. Then he uses him for less than 1 inning.

Is he auditioning these 2 guys? Show me what you can do so I don’t get rid of you? I know Dusty did that even if it meant losing a game over it.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (04-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Hitters are slightly more aggressive now. K rate is 21.7%, .
    I didn't keep track the whole game last night, but I do know that the last two outs were strikeouts looking (Aquino & Stephenson). There's rarely a valid case to get caught looking, but to do it in the 9th inning of a close ballgame is unacceptable.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (04-14-2021),wlf WV (04-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I see the pen as a concern. However, I think that works itself out. IMO 2 of the losses this year fall right at the feet of Luis Castillo. I think this is an aberration, but if it continues, is an area of large concern.
    I can't put last night's loss all on Castillo. He gave up no runs after the first, albeit throwing a ton of pitches, and left with the lead. The Giants were the better team from the sixth inning on, both on the mound and at the plate. That's where they won that game.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (04-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 0-2 Count View Post
    I didn't keep track the whole game last night, but I do know that the last two outs were strikeouts looking (Aquino & Stephenson). There's rarely a valid case to get caught looking, but to do it in the 9th inning of a close ballgame is unacceptable.
    McGee was dealing, give credit where credit is due. The Giants BP was lights out in the last two innings, just like Antoine was in hand one

14. Likes:

M2 (04-14-2021),Ron Madden (04-15-2021)

In little league, sure. But this is the big leagues, and sometimes you either get fooled or they make a great pitch that starts out of the zone and comes back in.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

16. Likes:

HokieRed (04-15-2021),Ron Madden (04-15-2021)

For real?? I think they're about an 85-87 win team, if all goes well, with a floor of 75-78 wins.

85-87 might get them in.

Reds once again cannot hit outside of GABP. They are not for real

Are the Reds average at best?

i see an 80-win team at best. hope i'm wrong.

I like the idea of keeping Antone in the pen. He can easily get 100-120 innings if you're willing to let him go twice through the lineup. That doesn't prevent him from eventually being a starter but for this year it's a good fit for his development and locking down a weakness in the pen. That's actually a very nice compliment on his talent and value to the team.

Other options for the 5th starter could include Lodolo if another starter gets hurt. Lorenzen really can't be counted on until he gets back on a recovery path.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (04-14-2021)

On a side note, I think that Johnny Cueto guy might be for real.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

23. Likes:

HokieRed (04-15-2021)

#13. Cincinnati Reds
    Record: 7-5
    Previous ranking: 19

The Reds took their show on the road after a successful homestand to open the season and have maintained their slim lead in the NL Central. The offense came back to earth a little, but they still possess the highest team OPS in baseball. Newcomer Tyler Naquin continues to be the surprise driving force at the plate.
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-move-our-list

25. Likes:

M2 (04-15-2021)

Brain and eyes say no, heart says yes. Just like most years. The hitters' problems haven't been magically cured during the offseason; they swing for the downs all the time and don't make enough hard contact against good pitching. If nearly everything goes right maybe they can make a WC bid, despite the division being down, and then everything's a crapshoot, but my memory of last season's dearth of O against top pitching still makes me doubt. Having said that, I hope I'm wrong and they win 120 games. I'll be watching and rooting like crazy regardless of the outcome, just like the last 46 yrs.

27. Likes:

REDREAD (04-15-2021),Tony Cloninger (04-15-2021)

Turn Off Ads?