Turn Off Ads?

Thread: First Place

First Place

I just looked at the standing and even though it is Just mid April, it's nice to see the Reds in first. it made me think of my boyhood when it was expected that the Reds were in first place. it was a time where my only conduit to the BRM was Marty and Joe. I lived on a farm and Summers were always busy. We seemed to be working at something until dark. When it got dark we came in and dad got a watermelon out of the refrigerator and cut it and I took a slice and occupied myself for several minutes picking out the seeds because I feared swallowing a seed would lead to excruciating death. Dad loved watermelon so I left him and mom to fight over the rest of it as I retired to my room. My room was upstairs and we werent high class yet with central air so I turned on the window ac to cool down the inferno that had built up in the room during the 90 degree day. With sweet tea in hand, i laid down on my bed and turned on the radio. There was Marty and Joe. i can still hear like it was yeaterday, "heres Pete". I heard all of the greats, Joe, Johnny, Tony, Pete, come to life over that old radio in spite of that rhythmic static coming from the radio because of a short in the electric fence. I listened, and dreamed at the same time of the day I would take the mound at Riverfront and Marty would call my name. The world was still limitless and my biggest problems were limited to that boring social studies class. I knew all was possible and the world was right each night when I heard "And this one belongs to the Reds".
    The world has gotten alot smaller in the last 45 years. I no longer have a limitless horizon of time and the dreams have been replaced with reality. Marty has fallen silent and Joe is no longer with us. The old radio was trashed decades ago. The cows were sold so no more electric fence. A heat pump replaced the window AC. Dad has been gone for 10 years and I now eat seedless watermelon.
    That magic of youth and the Reds I was blessed with will never return but it sure is nice to see the Reds in first place!

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (04-17-2021),Gallen5862 (04-17-2021),goreds2 (04-17-2021),Hamilton95 (04-17-2021),KeefeCato (04-17-2021),MikeS21 (04-17-2021),Norm Chortleton (04-18-2021),RedlegJake (04-17-2021),RedTeamGo! (04-17-2021),Ron Madden (04-17-2021),Roy Tucker (04-17-2021),UPRedsFan (04-17-2021),zigbeenuthouse (04-17-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: First Place

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    I just looked at the standing and even though it is Just mid April, it's nice to see the Reds in first. it made me think of my boyhood when it was expected that the Reds were in first place. it was a time where my only conduit to the BRM was Marty and Joe. I lived on a farm and Summers were always busy. We seemed to be working at something until dark. When it got dark we came in and dad got a watermelon out of the refrigerator and cut it and I took a slice and occupied myself for several minutes picking out the seeds because I feared swallowing a seed would lead to excruciating death. Dad loved watermelon so I left him and mom to fight over the rest of it as I retired to my room. My room was upstairs and we werent high class yet with central air so I turned on the window ac to cool down the inferno that had built up in the room during the 90 degree day. With sweet tea in hand, i laid down on my bed and turned on the radio. There was Marty and Joe. i can still hear like it was yeaterday, "heres Pete". I heard all of the greats, Joe, Johnny, Tony, Pete, come to life over that old radio in spite of that rhythmic static coming from the radio because of a short in the electric fence. I listened, and dreamed at the same time of the day I would take the mound at Riverfront and Marty would call my name. The world was still limitless and my biggest problems were limited to that boring social studies class. I knew all was possible and the world was right each night when I heard "And this one belongs to the Reds".
    The world has gotten alot smaller in the last 45 years. I no longer have a limitless horizon of time and the dreams have been replaced with reality. Marty has fallen silent and Joe is no longer with us. The old radio was trashed decades ago. The cows were sold so no more electric fence. A heat pump replaced the window AC. Dad has been gone for 10 years and I now eat seedless watermelon.
    That magic of youth and the Reds I was blessed with will never return but it sure is nice to see the Reds in first place!

5. Likes:

texasdave (04-17-2021)

My grandfather passed away in 1973, and the one possession of his that I inherited was an old transistor radio. I discovered WLW and would go to bed at night and turn that radio down as far as the volume would go and pull it up against my ear and listen to many 8th and 9th innings. So many memorable Star of the Game shows with Joe Nuxhall. Great memories!!
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

7. Likes:

Gallen5862 (04-17-2021),goreds2 (04-17-2021),M2 (04-17-2021),RedlegJake (04-17-2021),Ron Madden (04-17-2021),Roy Tucker (04-17-2021),UPRedsFan (04-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    My grandfather passed away in 1973, and the one possession of his that I inherited was an old transistor radio. I discovered WLW and would go to bed at night and turn that radio down as far as the volume would go and pull it up against my ear and listen to many 8th and 9th innings. So many memorable Star of the Game shows with Joe Nuxhall. Great memories!!
    From about 77-85 I was doing the same thing almost every night.

9. Likes:

KeefeCato (04-17-2021)

Turn Off Ads?