Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mark Payton called up; Blandino to the IL, Bedrosian DFA

Re: Mark Payton called up; Blandino to the IL, Bedrosian DFA

So with both Aquino and Blandino out, the team has lost its best two RH PH - the power guy and the on base guy. I'd lose Payton, bring up another infielder. save Farmer as emergency catcher and let Stephenson be the RH bat until that changes. Naquin gives them the lefty and Shrock as well. They didn't need another lefty and a 5th OF is less important than any of those other guys. I don't think adding Payton makes any sense.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

3 weeks of spring training convinced them to purchase his 1.5M$ contract, 3 weeks of regular season convinced them to let him go.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-19-2021),KeefeCato (04-19-2021),REDREAD (04-18-2021)

I wonder if Bedrosian would accept a minor league assignment to Louisville?

Not that it matters much either way, just curious if he ends up there.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I wonder if Bedrosian would accept a minor league assignment to Louisville?

Not that it matters much either way, just curious if he ends up there.
    He had to settle for a minor league deal so I definitely don't think it's a slam dunk he lands somewhere else.

I hope they can keep him around. He hasn't had a big red flag like a velocity drop and has never been remotely this bad. I think he can still be an effective reliever

7. Likes:

REDREAD (04-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    You can still get covid if you have the vaccine.
    right, but chances are miniscule. it's like saying you can win powerball. it's technically possible, just highly unlikely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    He had to settle for a minor league deal so I definitely don't think it's a slam dunk he lands somewhere else.

I hope they can keep him around. He hasn't had a big red flag like a velocity drop and has never been remotely this bad. I think he can still be an effective reliever
    i thought they said his velo did drop?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    His FB Velo was between 94 & 96 from 2014-2017 to the tune of 3.99 ERA, 3.33 FIP, 1.42 WHIP

2018-2021 he has been between 92 & 93 to the tune of 3.71 ERA, 4.04 FIP, 1.31 WHIP

So he did have a drop at one point in his career but had a multi-season track record of being a similar pitcher despite the drop

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    RHP Cam Bedrosian cleared waivers and was outrighted to the alternate site at Louisville, so he remains in the #Reds organization.
    4:14 PM · Apr 19, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

11. Likes:

Gallen5862 (04-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    right, but chances are miniscule. it's like saying you can win powerball. it's technically possible, just highly unlikely.

- - - Updated - - -

About like a healthy, young athlete dying from covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    3 weeks of spring training convinced them to purchase his 1.5M$ contract, 3 weeks of regular season convinced them to let him go.
    Why do teams take chances on fringe players who have no options? Wouldn't the easier choice be to keep a similar player on the opening day roster who has options?

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Why do teams take chances on fringe players who have no options? Wouldn't the easier choice be to keep a similar player on the opening day roster who has options?
    Availability. Some players are available - from the waiver wire - because the don’t have minor league options.

If that same player had an option, he wouldn’t be available without a trade. If sent down, he could be optioned directly, no waivers required.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-19-2021 at 07:01 PM.

15. Likes:

Griffey012 (04-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Availability. Some players are available - from the waiver wire - because the don’t have minor league options.

If that same player had an option, he wouldn’t be available without a trade. If sent down, he could be optioned directly, no waivers required.
    Oh I know. I was meaning why keep a Bedrosian type out of spring training vs. a player who is already in the organization who has options. Providing the two are pretty much even talent wise. I guess him being a veteran won out over a young pitcher.
    He just cleared wavers and has agreed to stay with the organization. Maybe whatever caused him to lose some ticks off his fastball can be fixed. He has been a serviceable reliever in the past.

Oh I know. I was meaning why keep a Bedrosian type out of spring training vs. a player who is already in the organization who has options. Providing the two are pretty much even talent wise. I guess him being a veteran won out over a young pitcher.
    He just cleared wavers and has agreed to stay with the organization. Maybe whatever caused him to lose some ticks off his fastball can be fixed. He has been a serviceable reliever in the past.
    Mac Sceroler has a 10+ FIP. They could've kept him.

The reality is, they should've ponied up just a few million more and signed a legitimate bullpen piece instead of wasting $1.5MM on Bedrosian. You win some (Doolittle, hopefully), you lose some (Bedrosian, clearly), but the chances are higher on winning when you spend a little more.

18. Likes:

mth123 (04-20-2021),REDREAD (04-20-2021)

Krall did note this off-season his preference to add relievers with remaining minor league options.

But he wasn’t always able to do that. Fulmer, for example, has no options remaining according to Fangraphs.

I think you answered at least part of it. He has almost always been a serviceable reliever

He looked like a sure thing in a Spring Training bullpen full of wildcards like the Perezes, Hoffman, DeLeon, Fulmer, etc. From 2018-2020 (after he lost his fastball velocity) he had a 3.41 ERA, 3.87 FIP and a 1.25 WHIP.

The big thing with him, IMO, was the low K/9 totals in 2020. He goes out and Ks 16.6 per 9 in Spring Training.

IMO, there were no signs you may have to DFA him after 3 weeks

21. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (04-20-2021)

They don't lose anything by keeping Bedrosian and optioning their other guys in Spring Training. One option is for the entire season, so giving Bedrosian a look didn't cost them anyone else. They can still call up the guys they optioned and send them back down as many times as they want. The real problem is they simply don't have enough major league arms to fill the staff. Sal Romano is a minor leaguer. He has an ERA over 5 and has allowed 4 HR in 12 innings this season and he's still on the team because there just isn't anyone any better on hand to replace him. This team needs to make a deal for a major league reliever.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

23. Likes:

REDREAD (04-21-2021)

Turn Off Ads?