Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 2021-2022: Back on Track?

Re: UK Basketball 2021-2022: Back on Track?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    So how is it that Kentucky got a 2 seed and Tennessee got a 3? What more does Tennessee have to do to get seeded above UK?
    Kentucky not only got a 2 but the no 1 2 seed. Kinda surprising because Lunardi was speculating they would get the last or even drop to the 3 line.

The NCAA took the NET ranking into consideration. Kentucky was 5, Tennessee was 8.

I’d have a gripe with Villanova getting a 2 seed over Tennessee to be honest. Villanova had a Quad 2 loss to Marquette while Tennessee had none. Of course there’s a head to head matchup with Tennessee where Villanova won convincingly.

I’ve got the Cats and Vols in the Final Four so there’s that.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sucks that Murray State is lined up to play Kentucky in round 2. Seems to happen almost every time with the smaller state programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Sucks that Murray State is lined up to play Kentucky in round 2. Seems to happen almost every time with the smaller state programs.
    Happened a couple years ago when Kentucky played Northern Kentucky in the first round. Have an uncle and cousin who graduated from there so I definitely hated the draw. Kentucky also beat Western Kentucky in 2012 in Louisville.

Morehead drew WVU last year (not really a local matchup but Morehead isn’t too far from Huntington) and have played Louisville twice and won one of those games.

Kentucky is supposedly adding Bellarmine to the schedule next year so they will be playing another team from the state.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Kentucky not only got a 2 but the no 1 2 seed. Kinda surprising because Lunardi was speculating they would get the last or even drop to the 3 line.

The NCAA took the NET ranking into consideration. Kentucky was 5, Tennessee was 8.

I’d have a gripe with Villanova getting a 2 seed over Tennessee to be honest. Villanova had a Quad 2 loss to Marquette while Tennessee had none. Of course there’s a head to head matchup with Tennessee where Villanova won convincingly.

I’ve got the Cats and Vols in the Final Four so there’s that.
    There's a lot of evidence that the committee didn't care about the NET rating. If that were the case Tennessee would have gotten in over Duke. If head to head means something then UT is in over UK. If NET mattered then Rutgers is out. Way out.

I have a bigger gripe with Duke than Villanova 'cause Villanova beat the Vols convincingly on a neutral court

That said I do think UT and UK got a decent draw

UK plays St. Peters at 7:10 Thursday evening on CBS. Ian Eagle and Jim Spanarkel will be doing the game.

https://247sports.com/college/kentuc...ule-184414613/

I think UK got a favorable region. But it is full of land mines. If they should advance to play Murray then that will be a tough one. Past that Purdue looms and they present a bunch of obstacles. The region is very winnable but they have got to be more focused than they were this past weekend or it will be a short trip in the NCAA's.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Happened a couple years ago when Kentucky played Northern Kentucky in the first round. Have an uncle and cousin who graduated from there so I definitely hated the draw. Kentucky also beat Western Kentucky in 2012 in Louisville.

Morehead drew WVU last year (not really a local matchup but Morehead isn’t too far from Huntington) and have played Louisville twice and won one of those games.

Kentucky is supposedly adding Bellarmine to the schedule next year so they will be playing another team from the state.
    UK also played EKU in 2005 in the first round. The NCAA likes to this with in state matchups. UK has never played Murray. UK has approached them for a series but they only want a home and home series and UK will never do that. So I'm sure the NCAA knows that and now you have it set up. I can remember when they would try and matchup UK and UL in the 70's and 80's. It finally worked out in 1983.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

In University Six news, Kenny Payne is the front runner for Louisville according to Pat Forde.

He could be bringing DJ Wagner with him.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    It finally worked out in 1983.
    Boy did it ever!

Well that sucked.

Pitiful effort by UK in this tournament. They just seemed like they had their heads somewhere else. This team just doesn't have the toughness or desire to do the things you have to do to win a championship. I expect a quick trip in the NCAA's. Depending on the matchups and all it will probably end the first weekend. This team has been showing me for a while they cannot win six straight games against quality opponents.
    I hate to say it but you could see this coming. But I really didn't think they would lose to St. Peters. Pitiful,plumb pitiful.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I hate to say it but you could see this coming. But I really didn't think they would lose to St. Peters. Pitiful,plumb pitiful.
    Cal got outcoached and the players got outplayed.

This is one of the problems I see with the transfer portal. Grady and Mintz both are good to decent players but nowhere near ready for the bright lights of Kentucky in the NCAA tournament and it showed. Oscar was the only one who balled out who I feel sorry for tonight.

UK also played EKU in 2005 in the first round. The NCAA likes to this with in state matchups. UK has never played Murray. UK has approached them for a series but they only want a home and home series and UK will never do that. So I'm sure the NCAA knows that and now you have it set up. I can remember when they would try and matchup UK and UL in the 70's and 80's. It finally worked out in 1983.
    And they still won’t face Murray. (Sorry).

I was too young but Western beat UK in 1971. I knew the history, but it wasn’t until 1986 that they met again. It was exciting as I was a sophomore that year. Its not a novelty now as Western has gone to UK on occasion.

I hate it when the NCAA does this now as it assures 1 less KY school will advance to 32 or 16. Why should the small KY school be punished because of UK’s ego to not play other in state schools outside of Rupp?

Do they do this with other states and we just don’t pay that much attention?

Cal got outcoached and the players got outplayed.

This is one of the problems I see with the transfer portal. Grady and Mintz both are good to decent players but nowhere near ready for the bright lights of Kentucky in the NCAA tournament and it showed. Oscar was the only one who balled out who I feel sorry for tonight.
    Yea you could tell they were scared to death at the end. It was almost like playing hot potato with the basketball. No one really wanted it. You really need to grow players in a system to be a constant contender. That's really hard to do now with early entry into the pros and now basically free agency among all the players to transfer at anytime. I really don't like it but nothing I can do about it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post

I was too young but Western beat UK in 1971. I knew the history, but it wasn’t until 1986 that they met again. It was exciting as I was a sophomore that year. Its not a novelty now as Western has gone to UK on occasion.

I hate it when the NCAA does this now as it assures 1 less KY school will advance to 32 or 16. Why should the small KY school be punished because of UK’s ego to not play other in state schools outside of Rupp?

I barely remember that 71 WKU game. WKU just throttled them. That game clearly showed UK had to integrate. UK is never going to play any mid major on their home floor whether they are in or out of state. They have nothing to gain by that. If Murray ever wants to play UK they will have to come to Rupp.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post

I live in West Virginia and it happened between them and Marshall. Joe Manchin got involved when he was governor and orchestrated a series in football called the Friends of Coal Bowl. Once WVU won every game (only one game at Marshall was ever close) and the series expired it was not renewed. Huggins let the basketball series expire in Charleston (Capitol Classic). When Marshall won C-USA a couple years ago they beat Wichita St and lost to WVU in the next round so it isn’t just Kentucky.

I do understand it though. It does nothing for Kentucky to play Western, Murray, Bellarmine, or any other in state school. If Kentucky wins they are expected to win. If they lose then it has implications toward the NCAA tournament.

17. Likes:

SomeCallMeTim (03-18-2022)

Turn Off Ads?