Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: UK Basketball 2021-2022: Back on Track?

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: UK Basketball 2021-2022: Back on Track?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    None of the above.

Stevens wont happen. If he wouldn’t take Indiana when Archie got canned he definitely wouldn’t come to Lexington.

Mark Few isn’t leaving the west coast. Even then his track record in the tournament is worse than Cals. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Sampson is Tubby with IU baggage. Mark Pope would probably be a popular players pick but he’s also pretty established in Utah with his wife and church.

I’d rather see Cal either hire or have someone already on staff as a “head coach in waiting”. Keep the continuity going to where if Cal does retire the new coach won’t lose half the players to the transfer portal. I thought Chin Coleman would be that coach but he and Cal don’t see eye to eye.
    ?

Tubby never guided two teams to the Final Four - and may well coach a third team to the FF this season - with only one (so far) NBA player on his roster. Sampson had nary a future NBA player on his '02 FF Oklahoma team. Sampson has few, if any, peers as a bench coach. And his 'baggage' from IU is ridiculously overblown, but that's been discussed in other threads. That said, if the reports are true about his son as the coach in waiting, the 66 year old Sampson is going nowhere, so it's a moot point.

Agree on everything else. But I still get the feeling that Frank Vogel is going to factor into the picture as Cal's eventual successor if the Lakers are foolish enough to make him the fall guy for their poorly constructed roster.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    ?

Tubby never guided two teams to the Final Four - and may well coach a third team to the FF this season - with only one (so far) NBA player on his roster. Sampson had nary a future NBA player on his '02 FF Oklahoma team. Sampson has few, if any, peers as a bench coach. And his 'baggage' from IU is ridiculously overblown, but that's been discussed in other threads. That said, if the reports are true about his son as the coach in waiting, the 66 year old Sampson is going nowhere, so it's a moot point.

Agree on everything else. But I still get the feeling that Frank Vogel is going to factor into the picture as Cal's eventual successor if the Lakers are foolish enough to make him the fall guy for their poorly constructed roster.
    Stifling defense, archaic offense, little track record with NBA players and as you said not on the young side.

Vogel is more connected to the NBA than college. Not saying it couldn’t happen (Eric Musselman comes to mind) but I’d say Vogel will end up somewhere in the NBA before trying his hand at college.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

To the surprise of no one, Dontaie Allen has entered the transfer portal.

I hope he stays in state. He could do pretty well at a school like Western, Eastern, Morehead, Murray, Bellarmine, etc.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

To the surprise of no one, Dontaie Allen has entered the transfer portal.

I hope he stays in state. He could do pretty well at a school like Western, Eastern, Morehead, Murray, Bellarmine, etc.
    Yep no surprise. He could do well at any of those schools you mentioned. I'm sure a big segment of Kentucky fans are lamenting this. An in state player always gets extra attention and is a fan favorite. If he had been a better defender he would have got more playing time. Although I would liked to have seen Cal play him on nights Grady, Mintz and Washington were off on their shooting. Sometimes you have to sacrifice some defense for scoring.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Stifling defense, archaic offense, little track record with NBA players and as you said not on the young side.

Vogel is more connected to the NBA than college. Not saying it couldn’t happen (Eric Musselman comes to mind) but I’d say Vogel will end up somewhere in the NBA before trying his hand at college.
    Agree that the Tubby/Sampson comparison is apt from that standpoint. Still wonder why Tubby’s UK teams never resembled his Tulsa teams from the standpoint of up-and-down pace. In the alternate universe where Sampson’s tenure at IU works out, you have to think he would have ultimately loosened the reins offensively, as was occurring with Eric Gordon, given the access to more shooters and with more resources at his disposal.

You may be right about Vogel moving forward. Musselman is a rah-rah, energetic personality. That isn’t Vogel at all.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

So looking at the Final Four:

Duke: Coach K rides off into the sunset and does a better job at one and done than Cal.

UNC (looking that way): If they win they are one championship behind UK for all time.

Kansas: More all time wins than UK distance continues.

Villanova: Will have won three national championships since UK last won theirs in 2012.

All that said I’m pulling for Kansas because the wins will likely be vacated sometime in the future.

So looking at the Final Four:

Duke: Coach K rides off into the sunset and does a better job at one and done than Cal.

UNC (looking that way): If they win they are one championship behind UK for all time.

Kansas: More all time wins than UK distance continues.

Villanova: Will have won three national championships since UK last won theirs in 2012.

All that said I’m pulling for Kansas because the wins will likely be vacated sometime in the future.
    Probably the only worse final four would have been if you substitute Louisville for Villanova. Maybe this will make Cal re-evaluate everything about the program and make some changes. But as you said, I suspect it won't. Ill be rooting for Villanova but in light of their latest injury they don't have a shot this weekend. It will be a Duke/Kansas final with Duke taking it all. No stopping the K machine now. It's in the bank for them.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Probably the only worse final four would have been if you substitute Louisville for Villanova. Maybe this will make Cal re-evaluate everything about the program and make some changes. But as you said, I suspect it won't. Ill be rooting for Villanova but in light of their latest injury they don't have a shot this weekend. It will be a Duke/Kansas final with Duke taking it all. No stopping the K machine now. It's in the bank for them.
    I posted this in the other thread but since Saint Peters became a Cinderella and went as far as they did I think Cal will excuse it away to keep from changing anything in the future.

On a positive note, Oscar Tshiebwe won NABC Player of the Year. Anthony Davis didn’t even win that when he was here.

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-29-2022)

On a positive note, Oscar Tshiebwe won NABC Player of the Year. Anthony Davis didn’t even win that when he was here.
    I just saw that. Just a shame that great season by him was wasted as a team by their flame out in the post season. Even if Oscar comes back next season I wonder if he can put up the same type of numbers?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I just saw that. Just a shame that great season by him was wasted as a team by their flame out in the post season. Even if Oscar comes back next season I wonder if he can put up the same type of numbers?
    I’d say he could but I expect next years team to be weaker unless something major happens (transfer portal or Sharpe stays).

Speaking of the transfer portal, Sean McNeil from WVU is someone I’d consider. Kentucky native and a sharpshooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll close this one since WVRED has started one for next season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

15. Likes:

goreds2 (03-30-2022)

Turn Off Ads?