Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 2021-2022: Back on Track?

Re: UK Basketball 2021-2022: Back on Track?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    If true, I'll hate that Calipari plays two no-range bigs together.

I much prefer the frenetic, five-out, shoot from everywhere, hard-core man to man, 94 feet of Hell style of play. Give me old school Nolan Richardson, please. Or Dick Motta. Or Cal at Memphis. Or Cal early in his Kentucky tenure.
    That would have been the case if Cockburn came.

Let’s assume UK gets Duren:

Guards: Sahvir Wheeler, TyTy Washington, CJ Fredrick, Davion Mintz, Kellan Grady

Forwards: Jacob Toppin, Dontaie Allen, Bryce Hopkins, Keion Brooks, Daimion Collins

Bigs: Oscar Tshiebwe, Lance Ware, Jalen Duren

The likely starting lineup:
    PG-Wheeler
    SG-Washington
    SF-Grady
    PF-Brooks
    C-Tshiebwe/Duren

Need shooters:
    PG-Washington
    SG-Mintz
    SF-Brady
    PF-Fredrick
    C-Brooks

Need size-
    PG-Washington
    SG-Grady
    SF-Toppin
    PF-Collins
    C-Duren/Tshiebwe

This might be the most interchangeable roster since 2014-2015 and the most experience and depth since 1995-1996.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Duren to Memphis. Going to be fun to watch Memphis if they land Bates too. Penny is likely coaching for his job this year after Wiseman blew up in his face and a lot of players hit the transfer portal.

Kentuckys roster is set. Can’t be worse than last year.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Non conference full schedule to be released later today. Kentucky is playing High Point on December 31st. First game back at Rupp for Tubby Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Non conference full schedule to be released later today. Kentucky is playing High Point on December 31st. First game back at Rupp for Tubby Smith.
    Good to see that. I hope they raise a banner in the rafters for him. I harbor no bad feelings toward Tubby like some UK fans do. Overall he did well at UK. He just stayed a couple of years too long. He probably should have left after the 2005 season. He coached two of my favorite all time teams at UK, the 1998 championship team and the 2003 team that lost to Marquette in the regional finals. That team was really fun to watch. They just caught Dwayne Wade having a career day and Bogans being hurt was the nail in the coffin for that game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Here's the rest of the non-conference schedule.

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-w...ence-schedule/
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Reds Fan Since 1971

Kentucky's recruiting has been ridiculous this season.

Shaedon Sharpe and Skyy Clark are committed. Cason Wallace is seemingly a Kentucky lean as a combo guard too. Derrick Lively is apparently a Kentucky lean as a center, and Chris Livingston is a Kentucky lean as a small forward as well.

That's the number one at C, SG, CG, and SF and the number two at PG. Woof.

I do wonder how that will fit with any who might return after this season.

CJ Fredrick, Jacob Toppin, Sahvir Wheeler, Dontaie Allen, Bryce Hopkins, Lance Ware, maybe Daimion Collins and Keion Brooks too.

Speaking of this season, it'll be fascinating to watch them play, if only to see if Calipari really does open up to modern basketball offensive sets. He's got the players to go with four-out sets (with Tshiebwe in the middle) primarily and a few five-out sets (if Collins is for real on his shot).

Another facet of this team might be how strong it is in the backcourt.

Grady, Wheeler, and Mintz are going to play. A lot. Ty Ty Washington is getting some serious love as well. Fredrick (when healthy-- if healthy) and Allen should, based on their ability to stretch defenses, see a whole bunch of minutes too.

That would seem to be six guys-- and three positions. (Grady and Allen at the SF position, Wheeler and Washington at the PG, Mintz and Frederick at the combo guard spot.)

Tshiebwe and Collins are underneath. Add Ware as a mop-up guy there if you'd like.

That leaves Brooks, Jacob Toppin, and Bryce Hopkins for the PF spot.

That would seem to be at least one too many.

How will that work out, Cat fans?

UK Basketball 2021-2022: Back on Track?

Kentucky's recruiting has been ridiculous this season.

Shaedon Sharpe and Skyy Clark are committed. Cason Wallace is seemingly a Kentucky lean as a combo guard too. Derrick Lively is apparently a Kentucky lean as a center, and Chris Livingston is a Kentucky lean as a small forward as well.

That's the number one at C, SG, CG, and SF and the number two at PG. Woof.

I do wonder how that will fit with any who might return after this season.

CJ Fredrick, Jacob Toppin, Sahvir Wheeler, Dontaie Allen, Bryce Hopkins, Lance Ware, maybe Daimion Collins and Keion Brooks too.

Speaking of this season, it'll be fascinating to watch them play, if only to see if Calipari really does open up to modern basketball offensive sets. He's got the players to go with four-out sets (with Tshiebwe in the middle) primarily and a few five-out sets (if Collins is for real on his shot).

Another facet of this team might be how strong it is in the backcourt.

Grady, Wheeler, and Mintz are going to play. A lot. Ty Ty Washington is getting some serious love as well. Fredrick (when healthy-- if healthy) and Allen should, based on their ability to stretch defenses, see a whole bunch of minutes too.

That would seem to be six guys-- and three positions. (Grady and Allen at the SF position, Wheeler and Washington at the PG, Mintz and Frederick at the combo guard spot.)

Tshiebwe and Collins are underneath. Add Ware as a mop-up guy there if you'd like.

That leaves Brooks, Jacob Toppin, and Bryce Hopkins for the PF spot.

That would seem to be at least one too many.

How will that work out, Cat fans?
    Livingston committed Wednesday night and Lively is making his decision Monday night. I’m thinking Cal likely told him to make his decision before Adem Bona did. If this is the case it’s a more proactive approach that hasn’t happened lately.

As far as returning players go, I don’t even want to take a stab at it. With NIL, reclassifications, and the transfer portal, it’s entirely possible next seasons roster will look significantly different than the roster we see this season.

Best case scenario I hope for is a final four type of run this season similar to 2014 where the team bands together with every incoming player next season to run it back like the 2015 season.

As for how the roster works out this upcoming season, I touched on that in an earlier post. Take out Duren and it’s still the same. This is the most interchangeable roster that I’ve seen at Kentucky in terms of depth, experience, and matchups.
    Last edited by WVRed; 09-17-2021 at 01:50 PM.

As for how the roster works out this upcoming season, I touched on that in an earlier post. Take out Duren and it’s still the same. This is the most interchangeable roster that I’ve seen at Kentucky in terms of depth, experience, and matchups.
    I like the shooting that's available and hope desperately that Calipari buys into the need for at least two shooters on the floor at the same time. Better to have three. (Modern basketball insists four.) If Sahvir Wheeler's in the game, he needs to be surrounded by shoot-first perimeter guys. Ditto Tshiebwe at center. (Those two shouldn't often see the floor together at any rate.)

I hope I'm wrong, but Cal's history is to eschew the shooter for the defender virtually every time. And guys like Collins, Brooks, and Toppin are capable defenders. Hopkins is a big kid who's shown toughness. That's mother's milk to Cal.

After Grady's minutes, I'm expecting him to shoehorn at least one of those PF into the SF slot for rebounding and defense, similarly to how he's done most of his time at Kentucky. That means Allen and Fredrick get squeezed. Heck, he may just ignore the three guard lineup completely, play Grady at SG instead, give SG minutes to Mintz, and play Wheeler with Washington at the point.

Sigh.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 09-17-2021 at 03:37 PM.

I like the shooting that's available and hope desperately that Calipari buys into the need for at least two shooters on the floor at the same time. Better to have three. (Modern basketball insists four.) If Sahvir Wheeler's in the game, he needs to be surrounded by shoot-first perimeter guys. Ditto Tshiebwe at center. (Those two shouldn't often see the floor together at any rate.)

I hope I'm wrong, but Cal's history is to eschew the shooter for the defender virtually every time. And guys like Collins, Brooks, and Toppin are capable defenders. Hopkins is a big kid who's shown toughness. That's mother's milk to Cal.

After Grady's minutes, I'm expecting him to shoehorn at least one of those PF into the SF slot for rebounding and defense, similarly to how he's done most of his time at Kentucky. That means Allen and Fredrick get squeezed. Heck, he may just ignore the three guard lineup completely, play Grady at SG instead, give SG minutes to Mintz, and play Wheeler with Washington at the point.

Sigh.
    Don’t know if you followed it or not but Cal has alluded to going to a four guard lineup.

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-w...heavy-offense/

Until we see it in action though is a different story.

Scuttle is Lively is going to pick Duke. Could change between now and then but the Crystal Ball is shifting.

Don’t know if you followed it or not but Cal has alluded to going to a four guard lineup.

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-w...heavy-offense/

Until we see it in action though is a different story.
    He's pledged to play faster too. And to shoot more threes. And to use the dribble-drive more often. And to press.

Cal says he's going to do a lot of things. Then he almost always falls back on what he knows.

Lively to Duke. Scheyer is likely to finish with the no 1 recruiting class even if Kentucky finishes with Bona and Wallace.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Lively to Duke. Scheyer is likely to finish with the no 1 recruiting class even if Kentucky finishes with Bona and Wallace.
    Its to the point where I "hate" Duke more than I do you guys!

16. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Its to the point where I "hate" Duke more than I do you guys!
    And that my friends is some extreme hate.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

18. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-21-2021)

Turn Off Ads?