Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 2021-2022: Back on Track?

Re: UK Basketball 2021-2022: Back on Track?

I think Cal has the control over scheduling, but I agree this isn’t a fun one. One more interesting home game to break up the tune up games would be nice, but Csl likes his neutral-site games

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I suspect this grouping of games has been remarkably beneficial for Calipari and the coaching staff. He gets to see how new offensive and defensive sets work and how players play under the lights before throwing them to the conference or Power Five wolves.

That said, this schedule is just boring. That's probably on the AD. They need at least one (and IMO, three) home and homes with other big-time programs. I get why Calipari doesn't do it-- he's absolutely right that home and home games don't prepare his team for the NCAA at all. But that's a huge part of the whole experience.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I can see why Cal has so many "boring" games. When you have the player turnover every year that he does it takes a while to get them on track. If they played a brutal tough schedule they would get killed early on and that has happened some in the past. Still it would be nice to have a couple more interesting games. I always liked it when they went to Maui. But Cal doesn't like that so they don't go there any more.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

4. Likes:

goreds2 (11-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I suspect this grouping of games has been remarkably beneficial for Calipari and the coaching staff. He gets to see how new offensive and defensive sets work and how players play under the lights before throwing them to the conference or Power Five wolves.

That said, this schedule is just boring. That's probably on the AD. They need at least one (and IMO, three) home and homes with other big-time programs. I get why Calipari doesn't do it-- he's absolutely right that home and home games don't prepare his team for the NCAA at all. But that's a huge part of the whole experience.
    They were supposed to go to Ann Arbor this year and Kentucky backed out.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    They were supposed to go to Ann Arbor this year and Kentucky backed out.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Game is on SEC Network. UK up by 14 at the half.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Game is on SEC Network. UK up by 14 at the half.
    Davion Mintz and Keion Brooks out.

Would really like to see this team completely healthy. I don’t remember a Kentucky team with the injury bug as much as this one. They did get Toppin and Ware back.

Oscar with 11 boards so far.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Ugly first half but got better after they woke up snd did chow come good things. It’s about time they face a better opponent though.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Ugly first half but got better after they woke up snd did chow come good things. It’s about time they face a better opponent though.
    Tougher opponent isn't happening tonight. Tony Barbee's band of Chippewa's from Central Michigan are coming to Lexington with a 1-4 record. They lost last week to Bellarmine. They also lost to Gonzaga by over 50 points and DePaul by over 30. Their only win was by one point over Eastern Illinois. So you would think this will be an easy one. Southern is the next game and then better teams show up in ND, Ohio State and Louisville.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

11. Likes:

goreds2 (11-29-2021)

UK rips Central Michigan as expected. They are now off a week until they play Southern on December 7th.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

UK plays Southern tonight. Should be another wipe out. Southern is only 3-5 on the season. hey lost to Louisville by 12 points and to Nebraska by 23. Southern is coached by former UK player Sean Woods.

After tonight the schedule will finally pick up with Notre Dame, Ohio State and Louisville up next over the next three weeks.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Right now this just isn't a very good team. Typical Cal team of the last few years that can't shoot from the outside. Grady is learning that playing at Davidson is far different than at UK. I suspect all of the transfers are to a point. ND just ripped through UK's defense for a ton of easy shots. ND is probably a little better than their record but they aren't that good either. This will be bad loss when or if this team is in the running for an NCAA bid. Ohio State is far better and I expect a wipe out Saturday unless there is dramatic improvement. UL may be a loss too. I think the game is in Lexington so I suppose they have a punchers chance in that one. I'm afraid the really easy schedule after Duke hurt this team. They needed better competition. Cal's teams usually get better as the season goes along. This one had better or it will turn into a lot like last season in a hurry.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

15. Likes:

WVRed (12-13-2021)

UK vs Ohio State will be a fun game to watch in the goreds2 household. Mrs. goreds2’s daughter graduated from UK.

Game is This Saturday at 5:15pm on CBS.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Right now this just isn't a very good team. Typical Cal team of the last few years that can't shoot from the outside. Grady is learning that playing at Davidson is far different than at UK. I suspect all of the transfers are to a point. ND just ripped through UK's defense for a ton of easy shots. ND is probably a little better than their record but they aren't that good either. This will be bad loss when or if this team is in the running for an NCAA bid. Ohio State is far better and I expect a wipe out Saturday unless there is dramatic improvement. UL may be a loss too. I think the game is in Lexington so I suppose they have a punchers chance in that one. I'm afraid the really easy schedule after Duke hurt this team. They needed better competition. Cal's teams usually get better as the season goes along. This one had better or it will turn into a lot like last season in a hurry.
    The college (and NBA) game has changed in the last five years and Cal has failed to adapt. He’s changed his assistants but it’s the same dribble drive motion offense with no new wrinkles and teams have figured out how to stifle his teams.

Adikindo posted something in the other thread that made a lot of sense. In AAU shooters aren’t used to feeding the post which messes up their rhythm. This explains the struggling with three point shooting of Calipari teams.

I think we are toward the end of the Calipari era. Whether it’s this year or after he’s already at 12 years. Joe B made it 13, Tubby 10 and Pitino 8.

UK is hosting a telethon tonight to raise money for the tornado victims.

I’d encourage anyone to listen to the KSR call in show on Saturday night. It was very eye opening with people calling about the devastation. Ryan Lemond ended the show in prayer for the state.

Chris Holtmann (a Nicholasville native) is donating $50,000 and Kirk Ferentz is challenging Iowa’s fans to help donate.

It’s amazing watching the country come together to help Kentucky rebuild.

19. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-15-2021),goreds2 (12-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The college (and NBA) game has changed in the last five years and Cal has failed to adapt. He’s changed his assistants but it’s the same dribble drive motion offense with no new wrinkles and teams have figured out how to stifle his teams.

Adikindo posted something in the other thread that made a lot of sense. In AAU shooters aren’t used to feeding the post which messes up their rhythm. This explains the struggling with three point shooting of Calipari teams.

I think we are toward the end of the Calipari era. Whether it’s this year or after he’s already at 12 years. Joe B made it 13, Tubby 10 and Pitino 8.
    I think there is probably a certain amount of burnout for Cal. This is a tough job being the HC at UK. I have always said ten years is max. As you pointed out with past coaches the limit has probably come for Cal. I think if UK doesn't make the tourney or barely squeaks in Cal will walk away after this season. He may anyway as you said.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?