Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Hoosier Football-2021

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Hoosier Football-2021

To avoid "cluttering' the general college football board with endless IU football debate, I'll respond to this post here:

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I get the point you are making about why that is the worst loss, however, I think Indiana clearly had the worst loss yesterday. Indiana fans and the program spent the entire offseason beating their chests, saying they were one of the best teams in the country with one of the best head coaches in the country and one of the best QBs in the country. They got complete manhandled by a likely solid Iowa team, but nothing special. Penix had a horrendous game. All of that goodwill from last season is bye-bye.
    First, I wholeheartedly agree with this:

I think Indiana clearly had the worst loss yesterday. They got complete manhandled by a likely solid Iowa team, but nothing special. Penix had a horrendous game. All of that goodwill from last season is bye-bye.
    However, I take exception to the following:

Indiana fans and the program spent the entire offseason beating their chests, saying they were one of the best teams in the country with one of the best head coaches in the country and one of the best QBs in the country.
    I don't recall Redzoners stating anything along those lines - granted, I may have overlooked such comments - so perhaps you are referring to external comments on the matter.

I can tell you that I, for one, never allowed the expectations for this season and the program - perennial divisional challengers to OSU - to reach such an unrealistic level. Take last season, for instance: They likely lose by a greater margin (though I'm suggesting they'd have been blown out) in a 'normal' season in Columbus with a full stadium of fans. And it's highly doubtful that they win at a packed Camp Randall Stadium with Tuttle, a game manager, at QB.

Honestly - and I've mentioned this before - my realistic expectation for this program as a comp: Pat Fitzgerald's Northwestern Wildcats program. You generally go bowling every year, with an occasional shot at a high profile bowl.

And as far as the assumption of Tom Allen as an elite coach - and this is not directed at you and actually supports your point - that's a stretch. Allen's obvious strength is his ability to motivate his players (that's not in question) but IMHO, he needs quality coordinators to assist with the Xs and Os for his program to reach my aforementioned expectations for the program. The departed Kane Wommack (DC) and (OC) Kalen DeBoer, for example. The latter, a bigger loss than most realize.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 09-06-2021 at 02:15 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-06-2021),BillDoran (09-08-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    To avoid "cluttering' the general college football board with endless IU football debate, I'll respond to this post here:

First, I wholeheartedly agree with this:

However, I take exception to the following:

I don't recall Redzoners stating anything along those lines - granted, I may have overlooked such comments - so perhaps you are referring to external comments on the matter.

I can tell you that I, for one, never allowed the expectations for this season and the program - perennial divisional challengers to OSU - to reach such an unrealistic level. Take last season, for instance: They likely lose by a greater margin (though I'm suggesting they'd have been blown out) in a 'normal' season in Columbus with a full stadium of fans. And it's highly doubtful that they win at a packed Camp Randall Stadium with Tuttle, a game manager, at QB.

Honestly - and I've mentioned this before - my realistic expectation for this program as a comp: Pat Fitzgerald's Northwestern Wildcats program. You generally go bowling every year, with an occasional shot at a high profile bowl.

And as far as the assumption of Tom Allen as an elite coach - and this is not directed at you and actually supports your point - that's a stretch. Allen's obvious strength is his ability to motivate his players (that's not in question) but IMHO, he needs quality coordinators to assist with the Xs and Os for his program to reach my aforementioned expectations for the program. The departed Kane Wommack (DC) and (OC) Kalen DeBoer, for example. The latter, a bigger loss than most realize.
    Nice post and thank you.

And I will never, and I repeat never, forget who made that comment you responded to.

Go Hoosiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Nice post and thank you.

And I will never, and I repeat never, forget who made that comment you responded to.

Go Hoosiers.
    You're welcome.

RTG is a good guy, but I just happen to disagree with him here.

We'll see if they bounce back in a big way tonight.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

6. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-11-2021),RedTeamGo! (09-11-2021)

Nice post and thank you.

Go Hoosiers.
    I didn’t mean to offend any Hoosiers fans, and sorry if I did offend you. Just giving my honest take, this isn’t the only place I talk and read college football stuff. That was in the general CFB thread, not Hoosier thread.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

8. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-11-2021),Revering4Blue (09-11-2021)

21-0 Hoosiers late 1st quarter.

Cooper had a good game this week....

https://twitter.com/lnwildcats/statu...42545685417986
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-14-2021)

The Hoosiers will be lucky to go 6-6...

We've all seen this movie - including the unhappy ending - far too many times over the years in 'statement' games/seasons.

And UC has the QB that we all wish Penix Jr. had become. Personally, I'm ready for the Donaven McCulley as QB era to begin.

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-20-2021),Playadlc (09-20-2021)

Close one in Bowling Green.

Damn lucky...

Penix out indefinitely.

Sheridan fired.

Sheridan fired.
    Necessary move. He was truly horrible at his job.

While I prefer some version of the air raid here, I just want someone that has had success with lesser talent.

It’s really all I care about.

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-29-2021)

Looks like Walt Bell in the new OC hire.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Looks like Walt Bell in the new OC hire.
    I'm fine with this hire. Cannot hold his UMass HC tenure against him at all. I'm still surprised the OL coach has been retained. Unless the OL play improves, the offense will fail to improve appreciably IMO.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

23. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-07-2021)

Turn Off Ads?