Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Suarez and Homerunitis...

Re: Suarez and Homerunitis...

Where are the coaches? Batting coach needs to step up regarding Suarez and have the manager bench him if he is reluctant to adjust his current way of hitting. It's like many folks are saying on other threads, the people in charge value being kind and supportive over winning. I guess the manager sets the tone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Saurez is what he is. He is uppercutting, pulling his head off the ball, and over swinging on every swing. And top that with being a poor defender, (take your pick- Third base or Short), and it is not hard to see he HAS been hurting the Reds chances of winning

Quote Originally Posted by wally post View Post
    Where are the coaches? Batting coach needs to step up regarding Suarez and have the manager bench him if he is reluctant to adjust his current way of hitting. It's like many folks are saying on other threads, the people in charge value being kind and supportive over winning. I guess the manager sets the tone.
    There isn't a manager in baseball that would be benching Suarez after two and a half weeks to start the season. He probably needs a day off, but a "benching"? Nah.

Do you really think they aren’t working on this like crazy in the cages?

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Herd View Post
    There isn't a manager in baseball that would be benching Suarez after two and a half weeks to start the season. He probably needs a day off, but a "benching"? Nah.
    Apologies, to me benching meant a day or two off to work on things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Do you really think they aren’t working on this like crazy in the cages?
    From what I've seen, with only so much time in a day, and with a pitcher's arm only able to throw "so much" each day, the only way a team works on something "crazy in the cages" is when that player is given a day off (tip o' the cap to Moose Herd). So no, I think they are doing nothing but watching and hoping.

From what I've seen, with only so much time in a day, and with a pitcher's arm only able to throw "so much" each day, the only way a team works on something "crazy in the cages" is when that player is given a day off (tip o' the cap to Moose Herd). So no, I think they are doing nothing but watching and hoping.
    Pretty sure most of these guys make it to the facilities 6, even 7 hours before first pitch on night games. That leaves loads of time to get in the cage, day off or not. I could be wrong though.

The hitting coach isn't going to change a big leaguer with a track record like Suarez. He can support, arrange for extra BP and look for things in his swing as compared to when he was successful, but if Suarez decides his approach is to try to hit a HR on every swing, they pretty much are stuck with it. After a season or two of failure, they'll bench him or release him or deal him for a lotto ticket. Otherwise, I don't think there is much that anyone other than Suarez can do about his bat.

I think Suarez will hit better. Most players are streaky.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Since the start of the 2019 season Suarez has a .873 OPS. He had a shoulder injury last year, and still ended up with and ok .781 in a weird season. We should probably give him more than a couple weeks before everyone decides to throw him overboard.

Since the start of the 2019 season Suarez has a .873 OPS. He had a shoulder injury last year, and still ended up with and ok .781 in a weird season. We should probably give him more than a couple weeks before everyone decides to throw him overboard.
    I agree with this. I just think the first time a guy goes into a slump, everybody wants to blame the coach. Coaches can only do supportive activities. They don't dictate how successful big leaguers should play. The idea is always brought up and I always cringe when I hear it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

Moose Herd (04-22-2021)

Bench for good. No. Bench for a few games with heavy instruction that right field isn’t a myth and it’s ok to hit the ball there, don’t step in the bucket, and please stop looking at the fans in the stands behind 3rd base when you swing would be cool.

Suarez had a monster year in 2019, but go check out his numbers in June of that year. He slumps sometimes, but it's going to be ok.

Suarez had a monster year in 2019, but go check out his numbers in June of that year. He slumps sometimes, but it's going to be ok.
    I agree. He has the potential to be a monster. Has been in the past. Looks like he just needs a couple days to clear his head and get his swing back on track. Last year, it was obvious he started the year in pain. His bat speed wasn’t there to start because of the shoulder. This year, his mechanics are off and he’s pressing. He just needs a short breather to get it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I agree. He has the potential to be a monster. Has been in the past. Looks like he just needs a couple days to clear his head and get his swing back on track. Last year, it was obvious he started the year in pain. His bat speed wasn’t there to start because of the shoulder. This year, his mechanics are off and he’s pressing. He just needs a short breather to get it back together.
    Or he needs to play through it.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Or he needs to play through it.
    Sitting him for 2-3 games isn’t gonna kill him

Turn Off Ads?