Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Suarez and Homerunitis...

Re: Suarez and Homerunitis...

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Sitting him for 2-3 games isn’t gonna kill him
    I'd rather see a slumping Suarez get those at bats than a slumping Kyle Farmer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Sitting him for 2-3 games isn’t gonna kill him
    Once Moose comes back I bet Farmer will get a game at SS before an off day

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-22-2021),Roy Tucker (04-23-2021),Wonderful Monds (04-22-2021)

Maybe the Reds asked him to hit more homers.

6. Likes:

Powel Crosley (04-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Herd View Post
    Or he needs to play through it.
    Thing is...he’s not playing through it. When guys are hitting into bad luck and it’s snowballing, play through it. Those will fall. He’s giving the worst non pitcher ABs I’ve ever seen. He’s been given a chance to work through it. Especially with moose out and his backup starting at 3b.

Glad they didn't sit him today.

when he hit those 49 homers.. he was going the opposite field alot and not just pull happy.. when he drives outside pitches the other way he is way better hitter.. Or maybe he just needs to dye his hair again

I remember when I slumped at the plate I could always rely on my fielding to keep me going and know that I was contributing. For Suarez, it has to impact him that he's struggling there too. Despite his "experience" playing SS, he's never been very good at it...at least at the major league level. Kudos to him for his attitude about playing where the team needs him, but I can't help but think it all runs together a bit.

11. Likes:

757690 (04-23-2021),Coopdaddy67 (04-23-2021),Old school 1983 (04-23-2021),REDREAD (04-25-2021),The Operator (04-23-2021),wally post (04-23-2021)

Anyone who "goes" for home runs, might get close but K's so many times he is a detriment to the team, especially with runners on, and now he is also a detriment in the field.

Suarez is at -6 DRS, which would translate to a -60 DRS over a full season. It’s hard to find a starting SS on a competitive team that was at -20 DRS. His poor defense yesterday played a part in the debacle.

He’s not hitting, and neither is India, who was a major reason for the move of Suarez to SS.

Personally, I think the Reds need consider moving Suarez back to 3B, Moose to 2B, call up Garcia and send India back down.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

14. Likes:

REDREAD (04-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Suarez is at -6 DRS, which would translate to a -60 DRS over a full season. It’s hard to find a starting SS on a competitive team that was at -20 DRS. His poor defense yesterday played a part in the debacle.

He’s not hitting, and neither is India, who was a major reason for the move of Suarez to SS.

Personally, I think the Reds need consider moving Suarez back to 3B, Moose to 2B, call up Garcia and send India back down.
    It's 18 games. 18 games isn't enough sample size to tell us anything, especially about defense.

As for his offense, as of 8 games ago Suarez had a .863 OPS for the season. Which means people might want to slow their horses on this huge slump he's supposedly in. We are talking about micro samples.

It's 18 games. 18 games isn't enough sample size to tell us anything, especially about defense.

As for his offense, as of 8 games ago Suarez had a .863 OPS for the season. Which means people might want to slow their horses on this huge slump he's supposedly in. We are talking about micro samples.
    Forget the numbers then. Anyone watching Suarez playing SS can see he’s hurting the team on defense.

I just said they need to consider making the change. Obviously more time is needed, and things could change quickly.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

17. Likes:

REDREAD (04-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Forget the numbers then. Anyone watching Suarez playing SS can see he’s hurting the team on defense.

I just said they need to consider making the change. Obviously more time is needed, and things could change quickly.

I've watched every inning of every game so far, and while he's looked a little clunky sometimes, he's mostly been fine, and has made some fantastic plays also. I don't think upgrading the defense at short with Garcia is going to make a big enough difference when you are downgrading the defense at both second and third while also replacing India in the lineup with Garcia. Especially after less than a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Pretty sure most of these guys make it to the facilities 6, even 7 hours before first pitch on night games. That leaves loads of time to get in the cage, day off or not. I could be wrong though.
    I was at an all day event at that Cincinnati Bell pavillion in center field a couple of years ago (2018 I think) and Joey Votto had three different pitchers through to him for almost 2 1/2 hours before anybody else took the field for regular batting practice. It didn't look like a one time thing either, so they can certainly get swings in. I used to coach a kid in Knothole and his dad was one of a slew of former minor leaguers that was paid by the Reds on a contract basis to come in and pitch extra BP.
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

20. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-23-2021)

That's the thing, it's not just 18 games on defense. He has 200+ games at SS at the ML level between Detroit and Cincinnati. SS is not his wheelhouse.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (04-25-2021)

There’s no supposed to the slump. He’s in a slump. It’s ok to acknowledge. Let’s hope the HR yesterday is the start of him breaking out of it. We all know the team is better when he’s playing to his full ability.

Turn Off Ads?