Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Seriously?

Re: Seriously?

David Bell is going to continue to be David Bell. His MO is to play as many of his guys as possible kind of like a Little League team. He would be best suited on a team with great balanced talent and can mix and match that talent per game situations. I think he would excel with the Dodgers. However, on a small market team with top-level talent and then marginal players to complete the roster (Reds) he is not the man for the job. And he has shown no inclination to change his approach given the circumstances.

2. Turn Off Ads?

it takes talent to lose two games in one day reminds me of darrell osteen or ray washburn

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    David Bell is going to continue to be David Bell. His MO is to play as many of his guys as possible kind of like a Little League team. He would be best suited on a team with great balanced talent and can mix and match that talent per game situations. I think he would excel with the Dodgers. However, on a small market team with top-level talent and then marginal players to complete the roster (Reds) he is not the man for the job. And he has shown no inclination to change his approach given the circumstances.
    He needs to leave his starting position players in the game IMO. He’s too quick to double switch and replace guys for no good reason. It burns him in games that go into extras or get tied late and finish in the 9th. You get lesser quality bats or the pitcher in weird parts of the lineup and a depleted bench.

5. Likes:

Hamilton95 (04-22-2021),Kinsm (04-22-2021),Phoenix2 (04-22-2021),REDREAD (04-22-2021),Revering4Blue (04-22-2021),The Operator (04-22-2021),Wonderful Monds (04-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'd be OK with him or Antone, but its just making a choice to blow the lead in the 6th or 7th instead of the 8th or 9th at this point.

IMO, Garrett was the choice all along. He certainly didn't pitch enough in Spring Training to "win" the job. He was anointed when Iglesias and Bradley were removed from the roster for no return. Blaming Bell is blaming the wrong guy IMO. He's following a flawed plan and its too early to abandon that on his own IMO. Hopefully, whoever needs to agree sees what we see and Garrett is moved back to a role he's more suited for. For now, that isn't pitching in close games, even as a match up lefty.
    Are you sure you don't have Garrett mixed up with someone else? He threw 4 perfect innings striking out 10.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Are you sure you don't have Garrett mixed up with someone else? He threw 4 perfect innings striking out 10.
    Garrett is another example of why we shouldn’t put much value in spring trading stats.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

This is all still an overall organizational problem. For many, many years this team has had flawed components. SP, RP, offense, defense, managing, etc. There are teams (and we know too well who they are) that find ways to be competitive and win because of the overall baseball philosophy of their organization. it seems the Reds are always building a team with bandaids and duct tape hoping to get by or catch the lightning in a bottle. Closer by "committee" was the spring mantra. We are beginning to see that result.

9. Likes:

Kinsm (04-22-2021),mth123 (04-22-2021),REDREAD (04-22-2021),Revering4Blue (04-22-2021),topsyt (04-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Garrett is another example of why we shouldn’t put much value in spring trading stats.
    First of all, that was in response to the assertion that he certainly didn't pitch well enough in spring training to win the job. Should he have struck out all 12 batters he faced?

Second, painting spring training stats with such a broad brush isn't particularly useful either. No, small sample size stats against inferior competition are not predictive but they can provide direction. For example: after having a dip in velocity last year, Doolittle had a dip in K/9. This spring, his velocity was back and he missed more bats so you can draw the conclusion they were related.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    They both are but AG can't help it though if he keeps getting run out there with zero confidence, I can guarantee he is trying his best. This is more on Bell IMO. Same situation with David Hernandez....guy just doesn't learn.
    “These last two games should’ve been ballgames we should have won. By my play on the field, I didn’t allow us to get that. I put them on my shoulders, man,” Garrett said. “These last two games were on me. They were 100 percent on me.”

~ Amir Garrett

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-22-2021),Chip R (04-23-2021),Ron Madden (04-23-2021)

topsyt

Castellini has taken the fun out of baseball. His outcome is simply to be a big league owner and provide employment for his sons. We have no closer due to Castellini budget constraints which also limits the ability of our GM to do his job. Amir is there by default, he didn't earn the spot regardless of Bell's rationalizations. For 8 innings last night we had enjoyable competitive major league baseball. In the ninth, Castellini's decision making came in to play and provided no baseball enjoyment. Folks we have see this re- run before.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (04-22-2021)

Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by topsyt View Post
    Castellini has taken the fun out of baseball. His outcome is simply to be a big league owner and provide employment for his sons. We have no closer due to Castellini budget constraints which also limits the ability of our GM to do his job. Amir is there by default, he didn't earn the spot regardless of Bell's rationalizations. For 8 innings last night we had enjoyable competitive major league baseball. In the ninth, Castellini's decision making came in to play and provided no baseball enjoyment. Folks we have see this re- run before.
    "I miss the Lindner years."

~ Absolutely Nobody
    Last edited by westofyou; 04-22-2021 at 12:57 PM.

16. Likes:

Chip R (04-23-2021),Revering4Blue (04-22-2021),Ron Madden (04-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    “These last two games should’ve been ballgames we should have won. By my play on the field, I didn’t allow us to get that. I put them on my shoulders, man,” Garrett said. “These last two games were on me. They were 100 percent on me.”

~ Amir Garrett
    That is what he should say. The player is responsible for performance but they don’t play themselves. No player is going to say they suck and ask not to play. Players should take responsibility. Managers should make some sort of reasonable decision based on expected outcomes. A guy who hasn’t had one good outing shouldn’t be closing a relatively tight game. They sure shouldn’t double down afterwards and say he will keep doing it. Needs to fix himself first in other spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by coryfly View Post
    That is what he should say. The player is responsible for performance but they don’t play themselves. No player is going to say they suck and ask not to play. Players should take responsibility. Managers should make some sort of reasonable decision based on expected outcomes. A guy who hasn’t had one good outing shouldn’t be closing a relatively tight game. They sure shouldn’t double down afterwards and say he will keep doing it. Needs to fix himself first in other spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Reds were ahead 3-0

That’s not really a tight game. If you don’t trust a guy with the ball with a 3-0 lead then you don’t want him on the team

19. Likes:

Chip R (04-23-2021),Revering4Blue (04-22-2021),Ron Madden (04-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    So he won the job by pitching 4 innings in Spring Training? If that's the case, fire everybody. He had the job before those innings. He didn't pitch enough in Spring for any of it to matter.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-22-2021 at 03:00 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

21. Likes:

REDREAD (04-23-2021),Revering4Blue (04-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Or perhaps that the most important spring training stat for him was innings pitched (or lack thereof)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So he won the job by pitching 4 innings in Spring Training? If that's the case, fire everybody. He had the job before those innings. He didn't pitch enough in Spring for any of it to matter what he did.
    Sims pitched 3 innings, Doolittle 8, Fulmer 3, Antone 7.2 including 2 starts, I guess Cionel Perez pitched 10.2 innings so I guess hand it to him since he pitched the most bullpen innings?

24. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-22-2021)

Turn Off Ads?