Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The eternal optimist

Re: The eternal optimist

Quote Originally Posted by NC-Red View Post
    I really hope people on here don’t waste their money going to the games and watching this team play. 30 plus years being awful and yet every single year they sucker people into thinking this year will be the year including myself. After 2012 I accepted the Reds will never win a WS in my lifetime and I was 24 during that season.
    Cool cool cool

2. Turn Off Ads?

I really hope people on here don’t waste their money going to the games and watching this team play. 30 plus years being awful and yet every single year they sucker people into thinking this year will be the year including myself. After 2012 I accepted the Reds will never win a WS in my lifetime and I was 24 during that season.
    Empty words written on a Reds board by a guy who gave up nine years ago

4. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-22-2021)

I, for one, have a long and bright Reds thread woven into the embroidery of my life.

Baseball continually reminds me life isn’t perfect.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-22-2021),Ron Madden (04-22-2021),westofyou (04-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I, for one, have a long and bright Reds thread woven into the embroidery of my life.

Baseball continually reminds me life isn’t perfect.
    Based on your posts over the years Roy, I'd like to preorder a copy of your book that weaves in your different life experiences and Reds stories.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-22-2021),goreds2 (04-22-2021),RedlegJake (04-25-2021),Ron Madden (04-23-2021),Roy Tucker (04-25-2021)

We got the Cardinals this weekend. Maybe that will put a fire in the Reds.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-23-2021),Ron Madden (04-23-2021),wally post (04-22-2021)

Umm, if you were 24 in 2012, the Reds already had won a world series in your lifetime.

12. Likes:

M2 (04-23-2021),Revering4Blue (04-23-2021),Ron Madden (04-23-2021),SomeCallMeTim (04-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Umm, if you were 24 in 2012, the Reds already had won a world series in your lifetime.
    I was 24 in 1990 and I was pleasantly shocked that the Reds made it thru the Pirates and A’s. Never thought I’d see the Reds reach that pinnacle again much less the playoffs after the ‘81 season.

Honestly with the financial disparity between big and small market teams that grew in the 90’s, I never expected any team not in LA, Boston, NY to really win again. Outside if the 2013 Marlins and 2015 Royals I think has actually proven true.

I’m not switching at this late date as the BRM was woven into my DNA in the 70’s. but I share the sentiment that there was something demoralizing about that 2012 season and the failed trades after that peak that contributes to that pessimism.

I know you need the players, but I also think a manager is key, and in my opinion this team hasn’t had a very good one since Davey Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    I was 24 in 1990 and I was pleasantly shocked that the Reds made it thru the Pirates and A’s. Never thought I’d see the Reds reach that pinnacle again much less the playoffs after the ‘81 season.

Honestly with the financial disparity between big and small market teams that grew in the 90’s, I never expected any team not in LA, Boston, NY to really win again. Outside if the 2013 Marlins and 2015 Royals I think has actually proven true.

I’m not switching at this late date as the BRM was woven into my DNA in the 70’s. but I share the sentiment that there was something demoralizing about that 2012 season and the failed trades after that peak that contributes to that pessimism.

I know you need the players, but I also think a manager is key, and in my opinion this team hasn’t had a very good one since Davey Johnson.
    I think McKeon was a good manger. But point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Dusty Baker and his two division title wins say hi
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

16. Likes:

REDREAD (04-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    We got the Cardinals this weekend. Maybe that will put a fire in the Reds.
    Now we have the Dodgers next three games.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    You are correct. I forgot about cap’n Jack.

19. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    "Tyler Naquin. Leads NL in ribeyes, 2nd in dingers."

Has been fading fast lately. Based on his history, I don't expect him to keep it up or be around by year's end.

"Barnhardt and Stephenson, both crushing Johnny Bench's MVP OPS."

Agree that both are doing well so far.

"No Cast or Moose in the lineup. They both came to play this year."

They both started great last year too, especially Cast. I believe in them, but need to see more consistency in a Reds uniform.

"Mahle. Seriously? 6th in the NL in ERA and K's."

He's been the best pitcher on the staff without question.

"Suarez, Castillo and Votto have yet to realize spring training is over. "

I wouldn't put Votto in that group. The way he's been swinging, I think he'll be fine. Luis is a head case who'll hopefully get it turned around. Suarez is looking like toast unfortunately.

"Antone soon to be closer. Lights out."

Would've been already if we had a manager who pays attention rather than trying to get everyone in the game, regardless of talent level.

"Senzel and India, farm guys bringing the energy."

Energy is nice, but production is what counts and I need to see more from both.

"No Shogo sightings yet."

He can't get here soon enough and should be platooned with Senzel when he does. Naquin would make a good bench piece.

"Sonny has pitched one game."

And it wasn't encouraging given how he ended last season. We need him though and I hope he can find his groove again.

"90 wins should be a lock. Let's get it."

With this bullpen??? I gotta get some of what you're smoking over there. I hope that happens, but I can't objectively see it with the team this front office has assembled.
    You must be a Winker hater since you don’t mention him at all and he’s 4th in BA, 5th in slugging, 6th in OPs and 12 in OBP.

The only Reds leading in offensive categories at Castellanos tied for the lead in HRs and Suarez tied for the lead in Wiffs
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

Turn Off Ads?