Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Nick Krall

Re: Nick Krall

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    But most of that lack of speed and defense can be traced back to the signings last year Castellanos has been great, Moose meh, Shogo doesn't hit enough to play. That's a lot of payroll space for those types of player when the team already was locked into Votto, Winker and Suarez. I'm OK with what they did, ny guess is more all around players were too expensive to lure here, so they went for the one dimensional guys because it kept the price down and not a bidding war. The tried to get a lower budget all around guy in Shogo, but everyone seems to forget that Japan is more like AA than the big leagues and just because a guy has stats there, its no guarantee. It was cheapo if his stats translated, but its a lot to pay for a question mark IMO. Add Senzel's issues and the Reds just don't have the type of all around player who can hit, run, field and throw. India is a guy like that. They need another for CF. This time no question marks. Get somebody who has proven it.

The problems you speak of are due to the players they've chosen, not development or coaching and I don't know how much Krall was involvred in choosing this roster make-up. I'm sure he had input, but for all we know, he advised against it.
    There are two main reasons Reds defense/speed has suffered.

1. They haven’t sufficiently valued the key positions of shortstop and CF. Compromises, conversions, lack of depth.

2. Absence of DH this year caused too many weak defenders to play the field.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-11-2021 at 01:22 PM.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (09-12-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Moreta with another scoreless outing last night in AAA to push his streak to 22 straight scoreless outings yet Krall does nothing....useless.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    What are the expectations of the owners and front office for next year and beyond? To get past the pandemic and begin to add top talent to this exciting young team and build a robust contender year in and year out, or continue the austerity measures and hope to develop enough Indias and Stephensons to make it to the playoffs once in awhile?
    IMHO, to build a relatively consistent contender, it's going to require both aforementioned methods: Timely additions of talent from external sources and the practice of austerity, as the two are not mutually exclusive by any means. And I'll argue that developing or acquiring such cost controlled talent as India and Stephenson on a rather consistent basis - which cannot be accomplished exclusively via the draft - is actually the key to qualifying for the playoffs on at least a semi-annual basis, rather than every so often.

As for this particular core, IMO, it's going to require some off-season roster churning of the core into a more complete team - eventual fulltime adoption of the DH or not.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

6. Likes:

HokieRed (09-13-2021)

They should emulate the Giants and Brewers in roster management. Good solid depth all the way through the position player roster and pitching staff. No long term contracts for position player FA's, especially ones over 30. It's going to take absolute discipline and a couple of years to regain significant payroll flexibility. They can be very competitive in the meantime if they continue to pay attention to the rotation--there's been real progress here over the past several years--and use whatever resources they have to deepen the strength in the bullpen. If they need a model of what they must not do, they have it: the Mike Moustakas contract.

8. Likes:

OldFashionedRed (09-15-2021),Revering4Blue (09-13-2021),wally post (09-19-2021)

DeShields and Cabrera are pure dog sheet. Why they are on this club points to the fool Krall. BELL and Krall HAVE TO GO

10. Likes:

DocRed (09-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by zigbeenuthouse View Post
    DeShields and Cabrera are pure dog sheet. Why they are on this club points to the fool Krall. BELL and Krall HAVE TO GO
    Remember when Krall said he looked into getting Kris Bryant, but couldn't make a deal work?
    Bryant is OPSing 811 for the Giants.. Of course, no guarantee he does the same for the Reds, but that would have been a nice bat to add..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

12. Likes:

Redsfan6272 (09-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by zigbeenuthouse View Post
    Jeff Hoffman has more ABs than those two

That’s why he should be fired?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Reds misevaluated India. I mean, surely, if they knew India was this close and this good, why give Moose a 4 year deal?
    The Reds signed moose to try to show the fans they were trying to win. There was no indication when India would be ready in his 1 1/2 years in the minors in which he had an injury which hurt his hitting. No matter India only had 165 minor league games after being drafted in the summer of 2018. His numbers weren’t bad, but they weren’t great either. If fact teams they were trying to trade with wanted Senzel or Greene and the Reds were offering India as a trade chip. Lucky for us the Reds didn’t realize what they had in India until they got to watch him last summer with their Covid-19 reserve team. But since that was closed to the press and public, it was sort of rumors about India impressing everyone with his work ethic and performance. That’s what got him to ML camp this spring.
    But I don’t think it affected the signing of Moustakis in any way.
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (09-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    IMHO, to build a relatively consistent contender, it's going to require both aforementioned methods: Timely additions of talent from external sources and the practice of austerity, as the two are not mutually exclusive by any means. And I'll argue that developing or acquiring such cost controlled talent as India and Stephenson on a rather consistent basis - which cannot be accomplished exclusively via the draft - is actually the key to qualifying for the playoffs on at least a semi-annual basis, rather than every so often.

As for this particular core, IMO, it's going to require some off-season roster churning of the core into a more complete team - eventual fulltime adoption of the DH or not.
    I doubt Reds can successfully transform this roster/core in one off-season. Some tough contracts to move. And if Reds force the issue, they’ll only get worse, bad deals will result.

The good news is Reds have enough talent to stay relevant as they change. They just have to be smart about it.

Reds have a good farm system that should add a few pieces each year. And if they are patient, injured players like Senzel and Moustakas should improve value. So some patience is in order.

One question is whether Reds’ front office will diagnose the team’s needs and execute the right player moves. Another is whether ownership will force decisions based on considerations other than building a championship.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-15-2021 at 09:34 AM.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (09-15-2021),Revering4Blue (09-16-2021),wlf WV (09-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Jeff Hoffman has more ABs than those two

That’s why he should be fired?
    Yes, but the point, at least for me, is that Krall refused to be proactive and didn’t shore up the offense at the trade deadline. Instead, he reacted well after the trade deadline and as a result we are watching Cabrera go 0 for 17 as a Red in extremely important situations.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

19. Likes:

REDREAD (09-15-2021)

I have zero confidence in Krall or ownership to do things competently.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

21. Likes:

DocRed (09-19-2021),Monster Man (09-19-2021),OldFashionedRed (09-15-2021),REDREAD (09-15-2021),RedTeamGo! (09-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrCody View Post
    The Reds signed moose to try to show the fans they were trying to win. There was no indication when India would be ready in his 1 1/2 years in the minors in which he had an injury which hurt his hitting. No matter India only had 165 minor league games after being drafted in the summer of 2018. His numbers weren’t bad, but they weren’t great either. If fact teams they were trying to trade with wanted Senzel or Greene and the Reds were offering India as a trade chip. Lucky for us the Reds didn’t realize what they had in India until they got to watch him last summer with their Covid-19 reserve team. But since that was closed to the press and public, it was sort of rumors about India impressing everyone with his work ethic and performance. That’s what got him to ML camp this spring.
    But I don’t think it affected the signing of Moustakis in any way.
    I don't completely disagree. But I don't think the Reds were really offering India a lot in trade proposals.
    The only thing I heard that was solid was JT Realmuto rumor.
    Maybe someone else can add more?
    I know India was floated a lot in RZ proposals, but I am not so sure he was in real life.
    In any event, the Reds had Senzel, who they obviously thought could play 2b, as they did it this year.
    They had Suarez wrapped up at 3b
    So at bare minimum, kind of a mistake to assume Moose could play 2b for 4 more years.
    And really, it's no excuse that the "Reds didn't realize what they had" in a former first round draft pick.
    In fact, I disagree with this. The Reds had a decent idea with what they had with him, otherwise, why draft him? They knew more about India than anyone.
    That's like saying the Reds really didn't know what they had with Ty Stephenson. They had a pretty good idea that both those kids could be starters in MLB.

So I will even correct what I said.. The Reds did not misevaluate India.. But they didn't do their long term planning that well, IMO.
    Just think if the Reds took the money they gave to Moose and got a front line CF or SS instead, with the plan of Senzel/India at 2b.
    IF they wanted a contingency plan, usually there's decent low price FA 2b out there like Cesar Hernandez or even Farmer.
    Last edited by REDREAD; 09-15-2021 at 12:05 PM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    There are two main reasons Reds defense/speed has suffered.

1. They haven’t sufficiently valued the key positions of shortstop and CF. Compromises, conversions, lack of depth.

2. Absence of DH this year caused too many weak defenders to play the field.
    Leave the DH out of it. That's never been a factor in the NL. Teams in the NL have always designed their teams with pitcher's hitting. The issue is that the Reds' outfielders just aren't good. There are holes all over the field for the Reds. The only sure thing at this point is India at 2B. And we haven't seen what will the second year will be like for him. The team needs a total rebuild, the starting pitching is in decent shape along with a few good guys in the bullpen. So they should be exempt from trades. Castellanos isn't coming back and next year we'll find out if Winker is a one trick pony (strong RHP hitting). But I have no faith in Krall & Company rebuilding this team into a contender. A team desperately clinging to a hope for a wildcard berth is not a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    Leave the DH out of it. That's never been a factor in the NL. Teams in the NL have always designed their teams with pitcher's hitting. The issue is that the Reds' outfielders just aren't good. There are holes all over the field for the Reds. The only sure thing at this point is India at 2B. And we haven't seen what will the second year will be like for him. The team needs a total rebuild, the starting pitching is in decent shape along with a few good guys in the bullpen. So they should be exempt from trades. Castellanos isn't coming back and next year we'll find out if Winker is a one trick pony (strong RHP hitting). But I have no faith in Krall & Company rebuilding this team into a contender. A team desperately clinging to a hope for a wildcard berth is not a contender.
    The DH was used by NL just last season. I’m sure most expected that to continue. I certainly did.

The elimination of the DH came very late in the 2021 off-season. It’s not an excuse for bad defense, but it made things tougher for teams already committed to DH type players on the roster.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-16-2021 at 10:35 AM.

25. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-16-2021),Ron Madden (09-16-2021)

Krall needs to go, the scout who said give Shogo 21 million needs to go as well.

27. Likes:

DocRed (09-19-2021),Monster Man (09-19-2021),REDREAD (09-19-2021)

Turn Off Ads?