Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vladimir Gutierrez

Vladimir Gutierrez

From an article in yesterdays Enquirer
    FREE MAN: Vladimir Gutierrez is expected to complete his 80-game suspension Thursday after he tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug, Stanozolol, last spring. He had 18 games remaining on his suspension this year.

Gutierrez, who has been pitching at the alternate site in Louisville, will be added back to the 40-man roster. The Reds opened a space on their 40-man roster when reliever Cam Bedrosian was designated for assignment.

The 25-year-old Gutierrez allowed two hits and zero earned runs across seven innings during spring training, striking out 11 and walking two.
    Bobby Nightengale, Cincinnati Enquirer
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 04-23-2021 at 06:27 PM.

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-23-2021),Kingspoint (04-24-2021),Tony Cloninger (04-23-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Vladimir Gutierrez

Bedrosian's 40 man spot was taken by Hembree today, so they'll still need a spot.

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-23-2021)

my god, his stats were awful when he was juicing. i hope no one is excited about him, especially now that he's off the peds.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Blocked by Heath Hembree Rose Has its Thorn.

He’s not really very good, I fear.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Assuming he has to be added... I personally would DFA Diehl, who serves no purpose that I can tell. But since he is on the taxi squad I assume that isn't going to happen,.

If its a pitcher I assume they could DFA Romano. He actually has one of best ERA's on staff.

I wonder if there's any chance they 60 Day DL Aquino? It might actually be a hitter like Schrock or Payton.

Either way, I'm suspecting a hard choice because they don't take the logical choice in Diehl.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

There is so much filler on the 40 man roster, I don't think it's an issue. Half the bullpen should be in the minors, they have a 31 year old minor league catcher taking up a spot. Romano, Hector Perez, Art Warren, Hembree, Diehl any of those guys could go off the 40 man.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (04-24-2021),Kingspoint (04-24-2021),Revering4Blue (04-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    my god, his stats were awful when he was juicing. i hope no one is excited about him, especially now that he's off the peds.
    We don't know exactly when he was "juicing" as he tested positive during last year's spring training

In 2019, we know for sure the baseball was juiced, which was his age 23 season in his first season at AAA after advancing relatively quickly through the minors

I'm not counting on him to be some sort of savior but he's probably the most MLB ready starter in the system with Lodolo as a close 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    We don't know exactly when he was "juicing" as he tested positive during last year's spring training

In 2019, we know for sure the baseball was juiced, which was his age 23 season in his first season at AAA after advancing relatively quickly through the minors

I'm not counting on him to be some sort of savior but he's probably the most MLB ready starter in the system with Lodolo as a close 2nd
    true, we don't know for sure. but i imagine you would agree the chances that he only used PEDs once and that happened to be the time he got caught are very low. chances are he's been using for a long time, which makes his minor league numbers look even worse.

true, we don't know for sure. but i imagine you would agree the chances that he only used PEDs once and that happened to be the time he got caught are very low. chances are he's been using for a long time, which makes his minor league numbers look even worse.
    Not trying to be stubborn but I would not agree that he's likely been using for a long time. He very well could have been using for a long time, he could have had a dirty protein powder from his home country during the offseason, he could have been looking for a leg up after a rough season at AAA. I just don't want to speculate.

Putting all that aside. What I'm saying is this was a guy who was still developing and he pitched really well this spring in a small sample, mostly out of the 'pen. I don't think it's crazy to think he may be ready to help

14. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (04-24-2021),Ron Madden (04-24-2021)

Isn’t Vlad awful?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Vlad could be useful in the pen if his stuff “plays up” with shorter outings.

He has an idea of the direction in which one might find home plate.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-24-2021 at 01:34 PM.

17. Likes:

Mitri (04-24-2021),ochoa30 (04-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Isn’t Vlad awful?
    Vlad flashed moments of good pitching in the minors. Reports from last year and winter ball were promising, he has a nice spring as well. Has an interesting pitch mix, also all the things Kc said above.

Also he’s not the other guys in the pen

19. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (04-26-2021),Kingspoint (04-24-2021),mth123 (04-24-2021),Revering4Blue (04-25-2021),Wonderful Monds (04-24-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Also he’s not the other guys in the pen

21. Likes:

Mitri (04-24-2021),Tom Servo (04-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Isn’t Vlad awful?
    stats are bad. and we're supposed to ignore that he was putting up those bad stats while he was (very likely IMO) using PEDs.

stats are bad. and we're supposed to ignore that he was putting up those bad stats while he was (very likely IMO) using PEDs.
    Just because people have a difference of opinion doesn't mean you are "supposed to" adopt theirs

As far as his performance. He spent his age 23 season at AAA, which is a perfectly acceptable track for development. If he was "awful" he would have been slower in his development. The stats were bad in AAA but he may just end up being a bullpen piece. Failed starters populate bullpens around the league

24. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-24-2021),Ron Madden (06-15-2021)

Turn Off Ads?