Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Vladimir Gutierrez

Re: Vladimir Gutierrez

It is difficult to be an effective major league pitcher with a 93 mph fastball that doesn't move a lot and which you can't locate consistently. His change is solid. His breaking stuff is decent. His fastball is hot garbage. That won't work in the long run.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Likes:

NC Reds (09-25-2021),RedTeamGo! (09-16-2021),wolfboy (09-16-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    It is difficult to be an effective major league pitcher with a 93 mph fastball that doesn't move a lot and which you can't locate consistently. His change is solid. His breaking stuff is decent. His fastball is hot garbage. That won't work in the long run.
    That can work over the long haul, but you've really got to hit your locations. I still he's more of a candidate for the bullpen (after this season), where perhaps he can find some extra MPH on his fastball.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (09-16-2021)

Vladimir Gutierrez slots into the rotation as the No. 4 starter. He had a 9-6 record and a 4.74 ERA in 22 starts during his rookie season, striking out 88 and walking 46 across 114 innings.

Gutierrez didn’t end the 2021 season the way he wanted, battling fatigue in the last few weeks of the season after not pitching any innings in 2020.

“I was working on my mechanics because it seemed like I was getting pretty wild at the end of the year,” Gutierrez said through interpreter Jorge Merlos. “I also worked on my physicality because, obviously, at the end of the year last year, I didn’t look as sharp. I wanted to make sure I had enough energy at the end of this year. From October 15th, I started working until a week before they said, ‘let’s go.’”

“I can’t be relaxed,” Gutierrez said. “There are enough guys that could go into any of those (rotation) spots. If you do relax, you’re going to lose focus if anything is going on. Just like last year, I’m coming in here very focused, and I will give it all my best to get into this rotation and stay in the rotation, too.”

Gutierrez was better on the road than Great American Ball Park last season (3.80 ERA vs. 5.94 ERA) and he needs to improve against left-handed hitters, but he’s confident in himself. And the coaching staff is confident in him, too.

“We’ve had him in several camps now and he’s just continued to grow,” Bell said. “He’s just going to keep getting better. One thing that really stood out from the very first time I met him, besides his smile and presence, is the way he competes. He’s not afraid of anything. He was not fazed by anything that he went through last year. He ran out of gas, for sure, at the end of the year. Now that he’s had time to recover, I really expect him to pick up where he left off before he got tired.”
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...mage=AAVh882|2

7. Likes:

HokieRed (03-20-2022),Kingspoint (03-20-2022),lollipopcurve (03-20-2022),mth123 (03-20-2022)

The ability to mix pitches, change speeds and locate. And then hold up over the course of a season. That’s the realm where starting pitchers survive or perish. Gutierrez has the repertoire and the composure to make a go of it, but we’ll see if he can use what he learned in 2021 to make gains. Learning always must continue at the major league level. I like what Vlad brings. Potentially an underrated piece on a staff that’s quickly evolving.

9. Likes:

HokieRed (03-20-2022),mth123 (03-20-2022),RedsFanInMS (03-20-2022),Ron Madden (03-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    The ability to mix pitches, change speeds and locate. And then hold up over the course of a season. That’s the realm where starting pitchers survive or perish. Gutierrez has the repertoire and the composure to make a go of it, but we’ll see if he can use what he learned in 2021 to make gains. Learning always must continue at the major league level. I like what Vlad brings. Potentially an underrated piece on a staff that’s quickly evolving.
    I do like that Gutierrez seems to have composure on the mound, battles and seems to be able to pitch into the 6th inning. I've been down on him, but its absolutely possible that his mechanics got out of whack from fatigue last year and its why he finished so poorly (that is also an injury risk which is why I don't like rushing guys up before they've built their innings in the minors). The more I think about it, I do think he's worth another look to see how it goes. I still suspect he'll give up too many HR, especially in GABP, but this is the year to find out.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

HokieRed (03-20-2022),Ron Madden (03-20-2022)

I don't have a lot of confidence Vlad, but I like his attitude. He should at least be a decent swing man/middle relief guy once the young SP we have develops. If he turns into a solid low 4 era guy who gives you a 150+ innings then that's a huge bonus.

13. Likes:

mth123 (03-20-2022)

For me, this is the take away. He doesn't have a major league strikeout pitch and gives up too many homers.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

15. Likes:

Tom Servo (03-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    For me, this is the take away. He doesn't have a major league strikeout pitch and gives up too many homers.
    I suspect Gutierrez would be very good in San Diego or San Francisco.

In Cincinnati, he has to be too fine.

17. Likes:

indy_dave00 (03-28-2022),M2 (03-20-2022),RED VAN HOT (03-20-2022),Tom Servo (03-20-2022)

What upside options do we have that Ownership/Management will allow us to have?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Gutierrez is working in spring training as a starter after finishing 2021 in the bullpen, Bobby Nightengale of The Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

Despite the Sonny Gray trade, Gutierrez's hold on the job is tenuous after he wore down during the stretch last season. The addition of Mike Minor takes away one spot, so at best Gutierrez is the team's No. 4. His role will depend upon when Hunter Greene, Nick Lodolo and Brandon Williamson are ready, as well as whether Reiver Sanmartin can win a role.
    https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ba...g-to-rotation/

Brought this up pre-lockout. If a number of the prospects look solid, do you think he could net Robles from Washington? Hell at this point, would they be willing to add Kieboom too?

For most of the 2021 season, Gutierrez was one of the best rookie starting pitchers in MLB. He often pitched into the seventh inning with his “fearless” approach on the mound and good control of his pitches. He has more starting experience at the big league level than any of the Reds players currently competing for the third, fourth or fifth spots in the rotation
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...BingNewsSearch

The Reds have two one-run losses in their first three games, but have twice gotten decent pitching performances from their starters and stellar outfield defense throughout. If that trend continues, losses could become wins as the season progresses.

Vladimir Gutierrez's 2022 debut for the Reds resembled many of his rookie year starts. He kept his team very much in the game on a chilly evening-once he got into a groove. Unfortunately for Cincinnati, Gutierrez also continued a previous trend of not being crisp in the first inning.

Gutierrez labored in the opening inning, giving up two runs that cost him and the Reds during a 2-1 loss to the Braves on Saturday at Truist Park. But the talk of the game was three fantastic outfield plays that kept Atlanta from adding on.

A pair of one-out singles in the bottom of the first inning set up Marcell Ozuna's RBI double down the third-base line. Ozzie Albies added a sacrifice fly to make it 2-0. Overall, Gutierrez gave up six hits and two walks over 4 1/3 innings and 76 pitches, while striking out four.

"After the first inning, I felt really comfortable," Gutierrez said via translator Jorge Merlos. "Those first couple of pitches that I threw were just hung in the zone. They were able to hit it where the defense wasn’t. In the second inning, I was able to make my own adjustments and then from there on, I felt pretty good after that."

Last season, Gutierrez had a 4.74 ERA in 22 starts, but an 8.18 ERA in the first inning
    Mark Sheldon reds.com

He's tough. I'm starting to like him. At the moment, he's way down the list of the team's problems needing to be addressed ASAP.

24. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-10-2022),Ron Madden (04-10-2022)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I wonder if he would benefit from adopting some kind of cutter or 2 seamer like a lot of dudes were doing a few years ago when that was en vogue. If he can’t pick up the velocity, at least adding some movement somehow would help.

Turn Off Ads?