Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Suarez broken?

Re: Is Suarez broken?

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    DiDi's defense is actually worse than Suarez's per BR. -1.0 vs -0.8 dWAR and FG actually has Suarez Defense rating at 0.1. By the eye test it has definitely stabilized IMO, haven't seen a horrendous gaffe in a while. Give the man some credit...
    Suarez has gotten better, but he had a goof last night against the white sox. Backed up on a grounder, instead of charging it, bounced over his head. It was ruled a hit, and yea, it didn't impact the outcome of the game, but I think that counts as a recent mistake.

In fairness, he's better than the start of the season, but still not "adequate" yet.
    Also, he's been hitting better too. Not a hater. I admire the guy for trying to play SS because the team asked him to.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

757690 (05-05-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Miley (59%), Castillo (53%), Gray. (48%), Antone (63%), Hendrix (75%), all with high ground ball percentages.

Important pitchers, three starters, best reliever, and young guy who could fill a bullpen need.

After watching Miley’s gem last night, I’m convinced Suarez should primarily be at third base (independent of his hitting, another story, see my post below).

Ground balls (coupled with Ks) is a good formula for successful pitching, especially at GABP. Need shortstop defense.

Whenever the matchup allows, I’d use Farmer at short. If not, I’d use him as a defensive replacement. I’d watch Garcia carefully for promotion. I’d consider Alf Rod as a shortstop backup if he hits decently at AAA. I’d consider India for some shortstop, he’s a good defender and has some shortstop experience. Or a trade.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-08-2021 at 11:20 AM.

5. Likes:

757690 (05-08-2021),REDREAD (05-09-2021)

I love Suarez and he is probably my favorite Red but he is becoming a liability to the team. When he comes to bat I just assume it will be an out. His glove is the least of my worries. At this point we can no longer pass it off as a slump or slow start.

37% K rate this season, nearing 30% since the start of 2019.

Like I said a week ago, he needs to completely revamp his approach. It's not an early-season slump, it is the league, or father time, catching up with him.

Reds should take their time with Suarez. Move him to 3B while Votto is out, maybe call up a true SS from the minors to help man the position (I think they should make a trade for Freddy Galvis and cut Farmer). Give him more days off vs. tough RHP. This is an issue that has persisted for a while and if the Reds want to get him going it's going to take a lot of work. A lot of folks are expecting him to flip a switch and become an MVP candidate overnight, not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    37% K rate this season, nearing 30% since the start of 2019.

Like I said a week ago, he needs to completely revamp his approach. It's not an early-season slump, it is the league, or father time, catching up with him.

Reds should take their time with Suarez. Move him to 3B while Votto is out, maybe call up a true SS from the minors to help man the position (I think they should make a trade for Freddy Galvis and cut Farmer). Give him more days off vs. tough RHP. This is an issue that has persisted for a while and if the Reds want to get him going it's going to take a lot of work. A lot of folks are expecting him to flip a switch and become an MVP candidate overnight, not gonna happen.
    Over 2020-21, 357 PAs, Suarez has the second worst BA among qualified MLB hitters, .178. In that same period his OBP is .278, tied for 7th-8th worst in MLB among qualified hitters. He’s shown some power, but the OPS in this period is under .700.

There are various proposed solutions floating around, but at some point this all just has to stop. I prefer him at third base, but it’s a secondary point, if he doesn’t start hitting soon Reds need to get Geno out of the lineup.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-08-2021 at 11:27 AM.

9. Likes:

Mitri (05-08-2021)

Is Suarez broken?

So here is my question to the stat guys who I really appreciate on here.

At what point or minimum offensive production could we tolerate having Garcia in the 8 hole as defensive improvement.

What is the net/net? I’d honestly rather see Stephenson right now between Wink and Moose. We can’t have 5 AND 9 being dead spots in the lineup. Although right now the whole lineup apparently is comatose.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    So here is my question to the stat guys who I really appreciate on here.

At what point or minimum offensive production could we tolerate having Garcia in the 8 hole as defensive improvement.

What is the net/net? I’d honestly rather see Stephenson right now between Wink and Moose. We can’t have 5 AND 9 being dead spots in the lineup. Although right now the whole lineup apparently is comatose.
    Concerning Garcia vs Suarez, the real question is how would it affect his development? If he is better served playing and developing in the minors then keep him there.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

12. Likes:

mth123 (05-09-2021)

Yes.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Yes.
    And it seems all the king’s men can’t put him back together again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Something I haven’t seen mentioned here yet that I personally forgot about, is that they deadened the ball before this season. I forget where I read this and how to look it up, but there’s something about how the league’s average BA is at some record low for this point in the season?

I know Geno is still one of the worst players in the league WAR wise even factoring that in, but maybe that’s part of why he’s struggling so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Something I haven’t seen mentioned here yet that I personally forgot about, is that they deadened the ball before this season. I forget where I read this and how to look it up, but there’s something about how the league’s average BA is at some record low for this point in the season?

I know Geno is still one of the worst players in the league WAR wise even factoring that in, but maybe that’s part of why he’s struggling so bad.
    I don't think it's helping with the contact he makes. Geno built his game on crushing the ball, not exactly spraying hits all over the field. Some have predicted that a deader ball would hurt guys who rely on that skillset. But when you strike out over a third of the times you step up it doesn't matter how dead the ball is.

He's gonna have to tweak his approach and try to become more of a higher batting average-type player.

Over the last couple weeks my concern over Geno has gone from a 2 to about a 6

I'm not going to pretend to have the answers as he is a professional and there is a whole staff who get paid to figure it out but I will say I don't think it's a lack of effort. I'd still like to see them give Geno a legit 2 or 3 days off. No pinch hitting. Nothing

Closest comparison I can make to Suarez rapid decline is Chris Davis...how'd that work out for Baltimore? Hitter rises the top as far as hitting HR's and falls off a cliff.

Sent from my SM-A700S using Tapatalk

The following players all have sub .600 OPS this season:

Geno

Marcell Ozuna
    Fransisco Lindor
    Wily Adames
    Jackie Bradley Jr.
    David Dahl
    Jason Heyward
    Elvis Andrus

So the question is, are they all done as players?

Heyward, Dahl, and Andrus: very possibly
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?