Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Suarez broken?

Re: Is Suarez broken?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Three threads on a guy who has put up MVP level numbers but not one on Castillo, a guy who’s touted as an ace, and who has no clue where the ball is going.

Give him a day or two off.
    Probably because he plays everyday and Castillo only has a handful of apperances

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Probably because he plays everyday and Castillo only has a handful of apperances
    And Castillo's problem is pitching in cold weather

4. Likes:

Hamilton95 (04-24-2021)

Sure but I see Castillo as a far bigger question mark. Much shorter track record and unless he’s K-ing the universe he’s godawful—hittable and poor control.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Some managers don’t like to revamp the batting order when players get hot or cold. They don’t see it as an answer. And it may only increase pressure on a slumping player by suggesting the problem is serious warranting changes.

Bell also seems to like the younger players lower down as they adjust to big league pitching. And catcher.

If Suarez continues to hit poorly at some point there will probably be changes, maybe rest, batting order, etc.
    Bell doesn't seem to want to revamp or adjust to much of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    Bell doesn't seem to want to revamp or adjust to much of anything.
    I keep reading here he tinkers too much.

I think that vets who have years under their belts get more rope in the lineup, the lineup slots matter to them, it's an identity and I know lots of folks poo poo that but in the clubhouse and the players ego it's always in the forefront. So vets get more rope, 19 games is probably not enough (note they did put Votto behind him the other day) If you're not a vet (Nick S.) and you make 4 outs on 6 pitches like last night you get a shorter rope
    Last edited by westofyou; 04-24-2021 at 01:04 PM.

8. Likes:

757690 (04-24-2021)

Once May rolls around and this has not righted itself much you will start seeing changes. I really feel they still see this as an extension of ST.

Name another major league team where Suarez still would be batting 3rd.

I keep reading here he tinkers too much.

I think that vets who have tears under their belts get more rope in the lineup, the lineup slots matter to them, it's an identity and I know lost of folks poo poo that but in the clubhouse and the players ego it's always in the forefront. So vets get more rope, 19 games is probably not enough (note they did put Votto behind him the other day) If you're not a vet (Nick S.) and you make 4 outs on 6 pitches like last night you get a shorter rope
    Baseballl is broken in that regard. He's making $10MM/Yr. Produce or move over. His at bats are horrific and he's swinging for the fences. Of course I have no idea what he's doing to work himself out of whatever slump he's in, but by all appearances, it's not working.

The manager needs to do what's best for the team. If he can focus on the individual player, great, but not at the expense of the team. I don't think Sparky worried too dang much about egos.

It's not like I'm suggesting sending him to AAA. Simply down the lineup to 6/7. Heck, Johnny Bench played 500+ games in the 6 & 7 slots.

12. Likes:

Hamilton95 (04-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by elrojo View Post
    Name another major league team where Suarez still would be batting 3rd.
    He's batted 3rd 4 times, 4th the rest

Rockies #4 hitter Blackmon - .164/.292/.291/.583
    Marlins #4 hitter Cooper - .188/.291/.292/.583
    Nationals #4 hitter Bell - .147/.231/.294/.525

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    Baseballl is broken in that regard. He's making $10MM/Yr. Produce or move over. His at bats are horrific and he's swinging for the fences. Of course I have no idea what he's doing to work himself out of whatever slump he's in, but by all appearances, it's not working.

The manager needs to do what's best for the team. If he can focus on the individual player, great, but not at the expense of the team. I don't think Sparky worried too dang much about egos.

It's not like I'm suggesting sending him to AAA. Simply down the lineup to 6/7. Heck, Johnny Bench played 500+ games in the 6 & 7 slots.
    “I've got some superstars here, the Benches and Morgans and Perezes and Roses. They're special. They get treated special; they have different rules."

~ Sparky Anderson

I feel like the problem is magnified because it's starting the season so we stare at that .157 batting average in the box score every day.

If he was hitting .300 then went through a 3 week stretch hitting .157 in July, none of us would bat an eye other than to say it was a slump

I don't love how the schedule is set up over the next week. If they had Monday off, I'd say tomorrow would be a great day to sit him to give 2 days to relax and clear his head

16. Likes:

Moose Herd (04-26-2021)

Coming off his 2020 season adds to that

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I feel like the problem is magnified because it's starting the season so we stare at that .157 batting average in the box score every day.

If he was hitting .300 then went through a 3 week stretch hitting .157 in July, none of us would bat an eye other than to say it was a slump

I don't love how the schedule is set up over the next week. If they had Monday off, I'd say tomorrow would be a great day to sit him to give 2 days to relax and clear his head

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Coming off his 2020 season adds to that
    2020 is the same story, different chapter

We look at his stat line and say the season was bad. First 14 games he OPS'd .489. Over his final 43 games he OPS'd .873. The season wasn't long enough to lift his stats after a really bad 14 game start.

He OPS'd .667 in the first 14 games this year. He has nearly a 100 more games to lift his stats

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    2020 is the same story, different chapter

We look at his stat line and say the season was bad. First 14 games he OPS'd .489. Over his final 43 games he OPS'd .873. The season wasn't long enough to lift his stats after a really bad 14 game start.

He OPS'd .667 in the first 14 games this year. He has nearly a 100 more games to lift his stats
    Don’t you mean 142 more games this year or is it now a 120 game season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

So does this mean my Suarez T-shirt ain't worth jack?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?