Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Suarez broken?

Re: Is Suarez broken?

There is a difference between this year’s Suarez and last years.

Last year, it looked like a slump. He was hitting the ball well, striking out and walking at around his career norms. He looked like he was going to break out of it at some time.

He looks totally lost this year. Key numbers like K rate and LD rate are way off.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrCody View Post
    Don’t you mean 142 more games this year or is it now a 120 game season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    100 more games than last season

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    There is a difference between this year’s Suarez and last years.

Last year, it looked like a slump. He was hitting the ball well, striking out and walking at around his career norms. He looked like he was going to break out of it at some time.

He looks totally lost this year. Key numbers like K rate and LD rate are way off.
    I don't know. Feels like semantics to me to try and parse words over "slump". It does seem like he had some bad luck to start last season. However, he's making more hard contact this year than last, fewer infield fly balls, more barrels. So, it's not as if all key numbers are down

Reds are in a bit of a bind (self made, I would say) IF they truly want Suarez to make it defensively at SS. Benching him due to lack of offense doesn't get him the reps he needs to get more confidence on defense. So that may factor into not sitting him out.

But I agree with the view that the immediate answer is to hit him in the lower half of the lineup until he starts giving better ABs. He's simply killing the team right now from spots where you need consistent production. And David Bell's philosophy seems to be that getting guys going > winning (which is why HE needs to be gone by 2022).

How many guys are we allowed to bat 7th?
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-24-2021),westofyou (04-24-2021),wlf WV (04-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    “I've got some superstars here, the Benches and Morgans and Perezes and Roses. They're special. They get treated special; they have different rules."

~ Sparky Anderson
    Also Sparky: "Players have two things to do. Play and keep their mouths shut."

9. Likes:

westofyou (04-24-2021)

...broken enough that he shouldn't be batting in the Top-6 positioins.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    Baseballl is broken in that regard. He's making $10MM/Yr. Produce or move over. His at bats are horrific and he's swinging for the fences. Of course I have no idea what he's doing to work himself out of whatever slump he's in, but by all appearances, it's not working.

The manager needs to do what's best for the team. If he can focus on the individual player, great, but not at the expense of the team. I don't think Sparky worried too dang much about egos.

It's not like I'm suggesting sending him to AAA. Simply down the lineup to 6/7. Heck, Johnny Bench played 500+ games in the 6 & 7 slots.
    Johnny Bench also played in a lineup that included two other Hall of Famers (Morgan and Perez), three other MVP winners (Morgan, Rose, and Foster), and six other All-Stars (Morgan, Rose, Perez, Foster, Griffey, and Concepcion).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

13. Likes:

wlf WV (04-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Johnny Bench also played in a lineup that included two other Hall of Famers (Morgan and Perez), three other MVP winners (Morgan, Rose, and Foster), and six other All-Stars (Morgan, Rose, Perez, Foster, Griffey, and Concepcion).
    ...and Suarez is not in the same sentence of any one of those guys. If they’re ok with moving down the order Suarez’s ego should be able to handle it too.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    ...and Suarez is not in the same sentence of any one of those guys. If they’re ok with moving down the order Suarez’s ego should be able to handle it too.
    None of the guys you would move up in his place are in the same sentence, either.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

None of the guys you would move up in his place are in the same sentence, either.
    A) I haven’t mentioned who I would move up; B) it’s not about moving guys up but Suarez down; and C) Literally everyone else in the lineup is having a better year, so far.

Bench didn’t bat sixth between 1969-1976, he really was off in 76 too

Yes. He's broken.

He certainly does not need to be batting 4th

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I think there is a chance he doesn’t see his average go back above .200 again the rest of the season. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a major leaguer look as lost at the plate as Geno does right now.

He needs at least 2-3 games off and should probably bat 8th when he comes back, but no higher than 7th.

Dude needs to snap out of this “I’m gonna hit 50 home runs” quicksand he’s gotten himself into.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

21. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-25-2021)

Turn Off Ads?