Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 4-25-21 Reds vs Cardinals 2:15pm

Re: 4-25-21 Reds vs Cardinals 2:15pm

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Baseball
    Yep

2. Turn Off Ads?

Blandino as an OBP type, leading off, is a nice decision by Bell for today. Team needs to start generating offense again.

Reds need to start using Stephenson more as catcher, I know Barnhart has hit well, but Tyler looks good at the plate and is sitting too much IMO.

4. Likes:

757690 (04-25-2021),Hamilton95 (04-25-2021)

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

During the Reds' pregame workout today in St. Louis today, Nick Senzel put on an infield glove.

Even though he was in Sunday’s starting lineup playing center field, Senzel took reps at second and third base and worked on turning double plays.

6. Likes:

757690 (04-25-2021),Hamilton95 (04-25-2021),REDREAD (04-25-2021)

Vewy, Vewy interesting.....
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Probably means they are getting ready to give the CF job to Shogo against RHP and they wanna play Senzel more than just being a platoon partner with Shogo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Blandino as an OBP type, leading off, is a nice decision by Bell for today. Team needs to start generating offense again.

Reds need to start using Stephenson more as catcher, I know Barnhart has hit well, but Tyler looks good at the plate and is sitting too much IMO.
    Just now looking at stats, I was surprised at how close they were on at bats. 30 to 44. I thought it would be more. Tucker being pretty good this year has been one of the most pleasant surprises.

I made this post (with the exception of the last paragraph) yesterday. It was so long after the game I doubt many people saw it.

Just now getting back here after getting some time away. Have a couple of thoughts

David Bell's use and overuse of the double switch is perplexing. You use the double switch in situations in which the pitcher's spot in the lineup is soon coming up and you want a relief pitcher to be able to pitch longer without having a pinch hitter hit for that pitcher. If you're not going to be expecting the relief pitcher to stay in longer or the spot is not coming up for awhile, there's no reason to do a double switch. You are just burning through position players you won't have later in the game to pinch hit or to plug in for defensive purposes. (This is especially true when we're in an era of more pitchers and fewer position players on rosters.) The use of the double switch by good managers is minimal at best. One, maybe 2, at the most, a game. Bell regularly does 3, 4, 5 double switches every game.

Second, I don't know why so many people were optimistic that the old Joey Votto was/is going to show up in 2021. He hasn't been good since 2017. He's a real liability for the Reds because at 1B he's playing a position which usually is staffed by one of the best hitters on the team, usually someone with a lot of power. Votto never had a lot of power and now he doesn't have the average to make up for that. He used to at least be good making contact and drawing walks. He's not even particularly good at that anymore. It's time for the Reds to start thinking about replacing Votto.

New: I like the comment about Senzel taking infield practice. Senzel would be a much more valuable player as an infielder than an outfielder. Not sure I understand the resistance to his playing infield though, while the Reds do have good hitting outfielders, they don't have a good defensive centerfielder. So I can see why they keep him out there.

11. Likes:

Hamilton95 (04-25-2021),REDREAD (04-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Just now looking at stats, I was surprised at how close they were on at bats. 30 to 44. I thought it would be more. Tucker being pretty good this year has been one of the most pleasant surprises.
    50-33 in PAs. Closer than I thought, can’t really complain about that. Consistent with expectations.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-25-2021 at 02:01 PM.

Frankly I hope Blandino Wally Pipps someone. We need some guys that are actually hitting.

Cardinals are averaging 11 runs scored so far in games started by Jack Flaherty

Quote Originally Posted by PerezFan View Post
    Second, I don't know why so many people were optimistic that the old Joey Votto was/is going to show up in 2021. He hasn't been good since 2017. He's a real liability for the Reds because at 1B he's playing a position which usually is staffed by one of the best hitters on the team, usually someone with a lot of power. Votto never had a lot of power and now he doesn't have the average to make up for that. He used to at least be good making contact and drawing walks. He's not even particularly good at that anymore. It's time for the Reds to start thinking about replacing Votto.
    Joey Votto is absolutely smashing the baseball in 2021

That's the post

16. Likes:

KeefeCato (04-25-2021),LaFlamaBlanca (04-25-2021),Ron Madden (04-25-2021)

Not sure what your definition of "good" is but I'd say Votto was "good" in 2018.

2019, I'll give you.

2020 stats should be completely ignored, no matter how good or bad they were.

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-25-2021)

At least Blandino made Flaherty work. 6 pitches.

I transcend race, hombre LaFlamaBlanca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    50-33 in PAs. Closer than I thought, can’t really complain about that. Consistent with expectations.
    I know WAR is noisy/small sample size etc., but I was surprised to see that on ESPN Tucker's at 0.8 thus far, tied with Nick for team lead.

On the flip side, Eugenio is the third worst in baseball at -0.7, which certainly passes the eye test.

Reds plate approaches are woeful...I’m not saying it’s easy but FFS understand the pitcher and catcher have a plan of attack for you. They attack like the battery is just up there throwing.

Turn Off Ads?