Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spincinatti

Re: Spincinatti

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Another who would have thunk it....

even "gurus" can't turn mediocre pitchers into good ones.

Pitching in the bigs is hard, if it weren't hard there'd be more than the ~150 so pitchers debuting in the bigs every year (only half of whom are even able to achieve 3 years of big league service).
    Mahle and Antone say hello. It is going to take time for the Reds to start to hopefully be able to produce a lot of pitching talent out of the minor league system. Seems like 2 big success stories in a shortened pandemic season and about 1/7th of another is a good start.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 04-26-2021 at 09:41 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-27-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Mahle and Antone say hello. It is going to take time for the Reds to start to hopefully be able to produce a lot of pitching talent out of the minor league system. Seems like 2 big success stories in a shortened pandemic season and about 1/7th of another is a good start.
    I think cause and effect here should probably be taken with a grain of salt at this point. Who’s to say both guys aren’t simply in their primes?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I think cause and effect here should probably be taken with a grain of salt at this point. Who’s to say both guys aren’t simply in their primes?
    I’ll give them Antone. He was a nobody until Driveline made him one of their pet projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    RedsManRick laid out a pretty compelling case for Mahle. Antone was a mediocre minor leaguer who just happened to become relevant after driveline came on board, with high praise from driveline. Unlikely it is just a coincidence.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 04-26-2021 at 10:51 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

7. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-27-2021),Tom Servo (04-26-2021)

Isn’t it spelled Spincinnati?

I had to live here for a couple years before I got the 2 n’s and one t thing straight.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Bumping this. I'm still critical. Dudes are bad. If we're saying that a lot of our pitchers would be even worse without this, I'm skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    Bumping this. I'm still critical. Dudes are bad. If we're saying that a lot of our pitchers would be even worse without this, I'm skeptical.
    I don’t think all the spin in the world can make the pitchers on our staff any good. Last year we had a great staff. One where Bauer was here, Antone wasn’t hurt, Lorenzen wasn’t hurt, Sims wasn’t hurt. We dumped Iglesias a and Bradley and replaced them with guys off the scrap heap. Doesn’t matter who your coach is or what the philosophy is, if the talent isn’t there, the staff sucks. Bob went and got the pitching…then he and Krall let it all get away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes:

wlf WV (07-21-2021)

This is interesting

Eno Sarris
    @enosarris

Across MLB, spin rates are back up near their peak. Is the sticky stuff here to stay?

Team spin rate rankings

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statc...ate=on#results
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 09-15-2022 at 02:38 PM.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

There was a league approved ball grip substance even before spider tack was banned wasn’t there? Maybe they figured out how to maximize that?

14. Likes:

Chip R (09-16-2022),Ron Madden (09-15-2022)

I really think there's a real effort to bring into the organization pitchers who miss bats. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like they have elevated their effort to bring more of these types into the organization, thus a concerted effort in a change in the organizational philosophy regarding pitchers. I doubt if anyone would disagree that there has been a major need for a long time to change the organization's philosophy on what type of pitcher to bring in.

Of course, it still comes back to "developing" the players to meet the change.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?