Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
Results 241 to 253 of 253

Thread: AG last night

  1. #241
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    50,525

    Re: AG last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I know I personally donít really want MLB to become more like the NFL or especially the NBA, in the sense that when you watch the broadcasts or media surrounding those leagues, like the vast majority of the coverage is about drama between players or something rather than the games being played. Right now the NFL has the drama with Aaron Rodgers trying to get traded from the Packers and nonstop tweets and coverage about that. And I swear when it comes to the NBA, the vast majority of the extremely online NBA fanbase thinks that league is just a soap opera and pays attention mostly just for players beefing with each other, I feel like half those people donít even actually watch the basketball.


    In my book MLB is doing a great job of avoiding that and not turning the sport into a soap opera mainly focused on the interpersonal drama or narratives between players. Watching a Sunday Night Football broadcast is borderline intolerable for that stuff. Iíve never seen an MLB game have the same problem.


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #242
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    9,529

    Re: AG last night

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m down for a good rivalry and some bench clearing madness every now and then. But that’s different IMO from every single broadcast being like 50% talk about ongoing drama or made up storylines in the league.

    Although the mid 2000s Red Sox and Yankees definitely came the closest to crossing that line of irritating ESPN manufactured BS when it comes to baseball for me.

  4. Likes:

    westofyou (05-05-2021)

  5. #243
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    50,525

    Re: AG last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m down for a good rivalry and some bench clearing madness every now and then. But that’s different IMO from every single broadcast being like 50% talk about ongoing drama or made up storylines in the league.

    Although the mid 2000s Red Sox and Yankees definitely came the closest to crossing that line of irritating ESPN manufactured BS when it comes to baseball for me.
    Buster was trying to pimp the rivalry on his podcast the other day, said it's gonna be BIG this summer.. blah, blah, blah is all I heard after that

  6. Likes:

    Wonderful Monds (05-05-2021)

  7. #244
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Venice
    Posts
    26,690

    Re: AG last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I know I personally donít really want MLB to become more like the NFL or especially the NBA, in the sense that when you watch the broadcasts or media surrounding those leagues, like the vast majority of the coverage is about drama between players or something rather than the games being played. Right now the NFL has the drama with Aaron Rodgers trying to get traded from the Packers and nonstop tweets and coverage about that. And I swear when it comes to the NBA, the vast majority of the extremely online NBA fanbase thinks that league is just a soap opera and pays attention mostly just for players beefing with each other, I feel like half those people donít even actually watch the basketball.


    In my book MLB is doing a great job of avoiding that and not turning the sport into a soap opera mainly focused on the interpersonal drama or narratives between players. Watching a Sunday Night Football broadcast is borderline intolerable for that stuff. Iíve never seen an MLB game have the same problem.
    Iíd much rather MLB becoming more like the NFL and NBA by allowing more emotion than by creating absurd new rules that cheapen the actual games.

    MLB has it all wrong, imo. The reason why the NFL and NBA is more popular is because they create more compelling narratives and allow players to be themselves, not because they have wacky new rules.
    Thatís why weíre playing, bro

  8. #245
    Corky is The Way Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    This extends to all things...
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: AG last night

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Other than being shirtless, I don't see what in that gif is all that different from a "curtain call". A guy makes a big play, the crowd is worked up and wants more, you go to the top step and cajole the crowd a bit.
    Seriously?

    A typical curtain call is where the player gets a standing ovation, then comes out of the dugout, briefly, then tips his cap/takes off his hat, which is a sign of humble respect and appreciation, puts his hat back on, and walks back into the dugout.

    You seriously can't see the difference between that and the gif I posted?

    Speaking of... "humble." That's a word going the way of the iceberg, isn't it? Humble.

    "Grand-Dad....what's a humble?"
    ďYou are not Atlas carrying the world on your shoulder. It is good to remember that the planet is carrying you.Ē
    ― Vandana Shiva

  9. #246
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,312

    Re: AG last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    In my book MLB is doing a great job of avoiding that and not turning the sport into a soap opera mainly focused on the interpersonal drama or narratives between players. Watching a Sunday Night Football broadcast is borderline intolerable for that stuff. Iíve never seen an MLB game have the same problem.
    Can you give an example? I've never watched Sunday Night Football and said "man, I wish they'd talk about the game" (I actually find Al and Cris to be some of the best in all sports). Not trying to be a jerk, just genuinely curious

  10. #247
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    9,529

    Re: AG last night

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Can you give an example? I've never watched Sunday Night Football and said "man, I wish they'd talk about the game" (I actually find Al and Cris to be some of the best in all sports). Not trying to be a jerk, just genuinely curious
    I know they’ve done graphics on like QBs wives and or girlfriends before, I think that was also an Aaron Rodgers thing.

    They also like to play up QB vs QB at the expense of the rest of the team, or like star player versus their former team like it’s a personal beef. Those kind of storylines can be interesting, but they can have a tendency to absolutely harp on them nonstop through out a game. The desperation to create some kind of dramatic narrative like that on the primetime game broadcasts can get really grating.

  11. #248
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,312

    Re: AG last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Seriously?

    A typical curtain call is where the player gets a standing ovation, then comes out of the dugout, briefly, then tips his cap/takes off his hat, which is a sign of humble respect and appreciation, puts his hat back on, and walks back into the dugout.

    You seriously can't see the difference between that and the gif I posted?

    Speaking of... "humble." That's a word going the way of the iceberg, isn't it? Humble.

    "Grand-Dad....what's a humble?"
    I said "all that different" so you can save the condescension...

    They both acknowledge a worked up crowd creating an even bigger "pop". The rest is just style preference

    I fundamentally do not and will not understand how doing more than meekly doffing your cap shows a lack of humility

    It sure seems like baseball just has a large, cumbersome set of unwritten rules. Toe the line or have your character judged harshly

  12. #249
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,312

    Re: AG last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I know they’ve done graphics on like QBs wives and or girlfriends before, I think that was also an Aaron Rodgers thing.

    They also like to play up QB vs QB at the expense of the rest of the team, or like star player versus their former team like it’s a personal beef. Those kind of storylines can be interesting, but they can have a tendency to absolutely harp on them nonstop through out a game. The desperation to create some kind of dramatic narrative like that on the primetime game broadcasts can get really grating.

    I guess I missed the wives and girlfriends graphics but I get your point there

    The other stuff doesn't bother me all that much but I can see where you're coming from

  13. #250
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    9,529

    Re: AG last night

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I guess I missed the wives and girlfriends graphics but I get your point there

    The other stuff doesn't bother me all that much but I can see where you're coming from
    It doesn’t bother me to a degree, but like when it turns into the main focus of the broadcast at the expense of the rest of the game or rest of the team is where it gets annoying.

    SNF can be bad about that, I’d say the NBA is even worse though.

  14. #251
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    446

    Re: AG last night

    The NFL broadcast that REALLY goes overboard on "the storyline" is Monday Night Football. Which, not coincidentally, is produced by ESPN, and is widely considered the worst major sports TV presentation. Loathed by fans. There's a reason they seemingly completely rework the broadcast team every year, they can't make it work. The common thread is ESPN's BS.

    SNF, on the other hand, is generally considered the gold standard of sports broadcasting, occasional griping about Collinsworth aside.

  15. #252
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    28,714

    Re: AG last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Seriously?

    A typical curtain call is where the player gets a standing ovation, then comes out of the dugout, briefly, then tips his cap/takes off his hat, which is a sign of humble respect and appreciation, puts his hat back on, and walks back into the dugout.

    You seriously can't see the difference between that and the gif I posted?

    Speaking of... "humble." That's a word going the way of the iceberg, isn't it? Humble.

    "Grand-Dad....what's a humble?"
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  16. Likes:

    Bob Sheed (05-05-2021)

  17. #253
    Goober GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    28,553

    Re: AG last night

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The problem with the WWE is that it’s fixed and scripted, and rather cliche.


    I want baseball to be more like the WWE in regards to players showing emotion, trash talking, having fun, as long as it’s authentic and genuine. It would be much more entertaining, and attract many more young fans.
    I don't want this extreme in baseball. That's why they have the WWE! LOL

    In baseball, or any competition, it's all about adrenalin, competing, and winning. Really hard to control them emotions. In most other major sports they don't even come close to the MLB IMO when it comes to the heavey-handed (uneven) behavior on a player celebrating. MLB has no set rule (imo), but likes the freedom given to do whatever they want by addressing each situation on an individual basis where they can subjectively issue punishment. And any appeal must go through the throne where the just King dispenses justice. Give me a break! LOL

    I actually agree with the sentiments expressed last week by Bauer in his so-called "back-n-forth" with Tatis Jr. And I agreed with Tatis' response to it all too. Do these self-absorbed athletes think our opinion of them will change, that we'll somehow think less of these gladiators (lol), because in a certain situation they got bested and the opposition pumped his fist into his chest and yelled making him look bad?

    IMO. You look far, far worse, little league, when you whine. Since when did baseball not become a man's sport? LOL
    Last edited by GAC; 05-06-2021 at 04:25 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

  18. Likes:

    mth123 (05-06-2021)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator