Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: AG last night

They call me "chef"

Re: AG last night

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Herd View Post
    He’s not up to date on “street slang”.
    I can barely tell you what street slang is. Last I can tell, it is a hard shoe paste sold by newsies downtown.

2. Likes:

Moose Herd (05-03-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I wouldn't say Unsportmanlike Conduct is rarely called in the NFL. At least once a game I would estimate, when rival teams are playing. At least. 15 free yards for the other team because someone can't just show them how awesome they are, they have to tell them too.

I understand rivalries and fire in sports. I don't think it belongs in routine Ks. So is Garrett going to display that "fire" every. single. time. with Rizzo? If nothing else, it dilutes the times when that kind of fire really does add to the game. And again, does the other team then have the right to show Garrett up every time he walks somebody? Do we celebrate every single decent play? 4-3-1 routine double play, and we're all flexing at each other, screaming?

God I hope not.

Also, Trevor Bauer is most certainly not a guy who "gets it." Luis Castillo "gets it." Suarez "gets" it. Votto "gets" it. I applaud Bauer for calling out MLB in the way he does, but the rest of it is shallow promotion. Not where I would choose to hang my hat, but YMMV.
    There were 32 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in the NFL last year for an average of 1 every 8 games.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

5. Likes:

Thisyear (05-03-2021)

I know if there's one thing I need more of from Reds players in the 21st century it's more guys playing out the string and acting like they never care about anything. THAT'S baseball.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Chip R (05-05-2021),Fil3232 (05-03-2021),Moose Herd (05-03-2021),TheBigLebowski (05-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    There were 32 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in the NFL last year for an average of 1 every 8 games.
    I stand corrected.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I know if there's one thing I need more of from Reds players in the 21st century it's more guys playing out the string and acting like they never care about anything. THAT'S baseball.
    The entire sport would be better if everyone wore jacket and ties on airplanes again.

The entire sport would be better if everyone wore jacket and ties on airplanes again.
    I don’t own a tie myself, they’re ridiculous

11. Likes:

Mitri (05-03-2021),mth123 (05-03-2021)

If only there were other options besides the two extreme ones.

Oh well... Dare to dream.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

13. Likes:

mth123 (05-03-2021),REDREAD (05-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    If only there were other options besides the two extreme ones.

Oh well... Dare to dream.
    And the answer is......

Celebrate to your own team not at the other team. It’s kind of a no brainer no matter what age group you fall into.

Did Tiger Woods ever pump his fist and yell at his opponent? No. It was to his caddy or his team at the Ryder or to the crowd in general. He made golf exciting. People loved it and no opponents took offense. Now if he ran up and did it in Phil Mikelson’s face it would have been a different story.

15. Likes:

RollyInRaleigh (05-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    And the answer is......

Celebrate to your own team not at the other team. It’s kind of a no brainer no matter what age group you fall into.

Did Tiger Woods ever pump his fist and yell at his opponent? No. It was to his caddy or his team at the Ryder or to the crowd in general. He made golf exciting. People loved it and no opponents took offense. Now if he ran up and did it in Phil Mikelson’s face it would have been a different story.
    On the other hand, Michael Jordan and Larry Bird trash talked so much they made guys cry.

Words change meanings over time, but you know that.
    Yes we both know that for many words that meant something completely different. Some that have become derogatory verbiage to describe who someone is.

In this case we were discussing how the same word said by someone can be passed off as not offensive. Not meant the way it was said by one group and not another. Of course we know that some people will equate thug with a only one group of people. Unfairly of course. I saw tons of thugs at the storming of the WH. Since I don’t use that word anyways. They were criminals or engaging in criminal behavior. This should be the term used instead but of course you are going to have other people. Especially lawyers stating that your calling someone a criminal who has yet to be charged and convicted.

Here’s the best trash talkers from every team, brought to us by MLB.com:

https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/best-tr...-mlb-team.html

They should probably all just shut up and play I guess.

On the other hand, Michael Jordan and Larry Bird trash talked so much they made guys cry.
    Did you see it in TV or hear about it elsewhere?

20. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Did you see it in TV or hear about it elsewhere?
    I’m old enough to have seen it on tv. They occasionally even said a bad word directed at another player. It was pretty scandalous.

There have even been fisticuffs.

I’m old enough to have seen it on tv. They occasionally even said a bad word directed at another player. It was pretty scandalous.

There have even been fisticuffs.
    Wait... I missed something.. a guy cried on TV because of trash talk?

Who?

Chris Mullin.. right?

23. Likes:

Thinking about "cocky" and baseball I tend to see more baseball stories soaked in subtle cockiness as opposed to chest pounding cockiness.

Examples:

Cobb telling Wagner he was going to steal 2b on the next pitch in the 1909 WS , Wagner said go ahead and tagged his face for the out

Ruth calling his shot in 1932

Satchel Paige calling in the OF and then K'ing the next three batters

That's the cockiness in the lore.

Guess the new chapter is being written now

Turn Off Ads?