Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: AG last night

Re: AG last night

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Herd View Post
    Yes

The more emotion in baseball the better.
    Emotion is like sprinkles on an ice cream cone, everyone has their own opinions on what is excessive or even needed on some ice cream

2. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (05-02-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Emotion is like sprinkles on an ice cream cone, everyone has their own opinions on what is excessive or even needed on some ice cream
    I hate sprinkles -- it's like edible glitter.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

5. Likes:

Red Raindog (05-03-2021)

Sprinkles are for winners
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

7. Likes:

Bob Sheed (05-02-2021),texasdave (05-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Fair enough.

I disagree 100 percent, and I think it would turn baseball into a carciture of itself, but I respect your opinion to feel differently.
    I feel like a lot of the problem is how much air is given to the "shows of emotion". If you throw your bat 30 feet in the air after a HR, you immediately go viral on MLB's own Twitter account and shows. If the benches empty, it's on every sports show. It's a backward reward system.

9. Likes:

mth123 (05-02-2021)

Which is why I leave it for the players to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Yeah sorry, if you have a double digit ERA and you lose your s*** like actually directly at an opposing player after a K for the first out of the inning (when the Reds were also still losing for the record), you’re gonna look like a clown, and Amir did. It wasn’t just a fist pump or whatever, he was going off directly at Rizzo and it was completely unwarranted.

Like I said in the game thread last night, it was surprising the very next Cubs batter didn’t go deep on Garrett, because the way he’s pitched this season there was as much of a chance of that happening as anything else, and he would’ve looked even more like a fool than he already did.
    I can respect this opinion, even though I disagree about it.

However, even if you think Garrett looked like a fool last night, there was no justification for Baez to jump on the field and challenge Garrett and the Reds. That was the cause of the problem last night, not Garrett’s initial over-reaction.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Which is why I leave it for the players to decide.
    There's a lot of players, from a lot of different backgrounds, so consensus might be hard to achieve

Let’s not act as if celebrating in baseball did not happen. Yes it was Kept to game winning situations. And not just in the playoffs. Posing was reserved for Reggie Jackson. And while he backed it up he would still get knocked down and accepted it. Most of the time. Except with John Denny whom after he hit a HR. Touched the plate and ran after him on the mound right afterwards. He was carried off the field by I think Oscar Gamble and someone else with him laughing and pointing at Denny. And Denny was a crazy black belt.

Brad Lesley doing the animal after a K. It was funny and an outlier during a horrible 1982 season. Even Nolan Ryan did it against the Reds and Lesley was laughing at it. It was not F bombs thrown at a hitter or even directed at a hitter.

The Eck and his finger pointing after a K. Kirk Gibson and his arm pumping. Jeff Leonard and his arm flapping during 1987 NLCS. Steve Garvey raising his fist around the bases during 1984 game winning homer during 1984 NLCS.
    Some announcers would say something about it. Sometimes stuff was said. But it was kept within the players and not on SM. It was still done most of the times if not all during final outs in winning or game winning celebrations.

Who basically invented the pogo jumping at home plate after a game winning bottom of the inning run scored. Sean Casey and 1999 Reds. I saw Buddy Bell fist pump at HP after scoring a GW run bottom of 9th against the Giants in 1987. Everyone practically came out of the dugout to celebrate as the Reds went into 1st. The GM I think Bob Bergesch? Talked snack in the papers about how this has to really demoralize the Giants. Next day Giants win and Roger Craig talked smack back sarcastically about how destroyed they were.

Everyone acts like they were playing English cricket back in the day. The point it turns into football where you celebrate for the dumbest stuff or on every play is when it becomes Calculated BS celebrating. But baseball is not as emotional on every play like football can be.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I can respect this opinion, even though I disagree about it.

However, even if you think Garrett looked like a fool last night, there was no justification for Baez to jump on the field and challenge Garrett and the Reds. That was the cause of the problem last night, not Garrett’s initial over-reaction.
    I don’t disagree that Baez should get a couple game break for that from MLB if they’re gonna suspend Castellanos for what he did a few weeks ago

I like emotion if it’s in the flow of the game. When it’s not, it sticks out like a sore thumb and looks foolish IMO.

I also think you need to earn the right to strut and preen if that is the flavor of ice cream you like. Scrubs don’t flip bats or point at someone and chest thump. And Garrett has been performing like a scrub. Get your game back in gear AG and then start up with all that other stuff.

I don’t like all the faux emoting. I’m old school but I’ve also come to grips that that act like you’ve been there before kind of attitude is more in the past that the barking and woofing future. So be it. I’ll keep my opinions to myself for the most part but it will leak out every so often.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

16. Likes:

HammerTime (05-02-2021),mth123 (05-02-2021),REDREAD (05-03-2021),westofyou (05-02-2021),Wonderful Monds (05-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I don’t disagree that Baez should get a couple game break for that from MLB if they’re gonna suspend Castellanos for what he did a few weeks ago
    That's what Brantley said right after it happened

There's a lot of players, from a lot of different backgrounds, so consensus might be hard to achieve
    No, what I mean is that each player should be able to show as much or as little emotion as they want.

The other option is to take these idiotic unwritten rules (because in reality that’s what this whole conversation is about) and write them down.

Bat flips are ok, unless down by three runs, and then it’s a two game suspension.

Talking smack at the other team is a mandatory three game suspension, except during the playoffs because “let the kids play”.

It’s all dumb.

No, what I mean is that each player should be able to show as much or as little emotion as they want.

The other option is to take these idiotic unwritten rules (because in reality that’s what this whole conversation is about) and write them down.

Bat flips are ok, unless down by three runs, and then it’s a two game suspension.

Talking smack at the other team is a mandatory three game suspension, except during the playoffs because “let the kids play”.

It’s all dumb.
    It's not about unwritten rules. It's about sportsmanship. Or lackthereof.

What you are describing even goes beyond the NBA. You're in WWF territory.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

20. Likes:

REDREAD (05-03-2021),RollyInRaleigh (05-02-2021),Roy Tucker (05-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Pete Rose showed a lot of emotion, shot his mouth off, got into fights for seemingly no reason (see Bud Harrelson) and is a considered a legend here in Cincinnati.

Mario Soto started fights all the time

Johnny Cueto ran his mouth and was over the top, even kicking Jason LaRue in the head.

Pete Rose did not shoot his mouth off and get into fights for seemingly no reason. For as long of career he had, the Harrelson incident is the only time I remember Rose being part of the originators of a brawl. and to say that he initiated(debatable) that fight for no reason(again debatable) is just false.

Cueto was involved in that one incident and he was backing his teammate(Brandon Phillips) as were the rest of the Reds and he was backed up against the wall by a bunch of cardinals.

Mario Soto had the one incident where a foul ball was called a home run and he charged at the ump and Don Zimmer not knowing what Soto's intentions if he were to get to ump, tackled him nobly to save him from trouble.

I agree with your assessment that AG's over the top celebration or whatever it was is not something for Reds fans to get too upset about due to it being kind of widespread throughout baseball, but I also, as a fan, hate it when plays are celebrated when the job isn't finished. For instance a football's defensive team stopping a run on the goal line and then celebrating when it was only on 1st down and the opposing team has 3 more chances to succeed.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (05-03-2021),RollyInRaleigh (05-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    It's not about unwritten rules. It's about sportsmanship. Or lackthereof.

What you are describing even goes beyond the NBA. You're in WWF territory.
    Can you please post your sportsmanship rules that I’m sure everyone will agree with?

Turn Off Ads?