Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: AG last night

Re: AG last night

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    The line does need to be drawn somewhere. Otherwise it's WWF.
    Where is the line? You have been asked multiple times and offer no response. You dodge the question. What is acceptable behavior in your eyes? Was Baez justified for the benches clearing? Rizzo said nothing and walked off the field and a teammate in the dugout instigated it. No one on here knows what was said or even if it was aimed at Rizzo. Instead if giving some lame you should know answer, why don't you answer the question and stop deflecting.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Pete Rose did not shoot his mouth off and get into fights for seemingly no reason. For as long of career he had, the Harrelson incident is the only time I remember Rose being part of the originators of a brawl. and to say that he initiated(debatable) that fight for no reason(again debatable) is just false.

Cueto was involved in that one incident and he was backing his teammate(Brandon Phillips) as were the rest of the Reds and he was backed up against the wall by a bunch of cardinals.

Mario Soto had the one incident where a foul ball was called a home run and he charged at the ump and Don Zimmer not knowing what Soto's intentions if he were to get to ump, tackled him nobly to save him from trouble.

I agree with your assessment that AG's over the top celebration or whatever it was is not something for Reds fans to get too upset about due to it being kind of widespread throughout baseball, but I also, as a fan, hate it when plays are celebrated when the job isn't finished. For instance a football's defensive team stopping a run on the goal line and then celebrating when it was only on 1st down and the opposing team has 3 more chances to succeed.
    If I remember right, Whitey Ford and Mickey Mantle gave Pete Rose the nickname “Charlie Hustle,” and it wasn’t a compliment. By the way, has anyone ever seen a Rickey Henderson home run trot?

I bristle at the “unwritten rules.” I also think that if a player isn’t getting the job done but is strutting around and taunting, they make themselves look silly, not menacing.

In this case, more attention needs to be put on Baez. If Garrett was celebrating the K, and Baez was turning it into “come at me bro,” then invoke the Castellanos rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    11 ERA, 12 going into last nights game. -.6 WAR on the season, career 5 ERA, 4 as a reliever.

He is firmly in “just a guy” territory and absolutely is a scrub this season, definitely hasn’t earned the level of swagger and taunting he was displaying last night, and least not without looking like a jabroni in the process.
    What is the acceptable WAR to be allowed to celebrate an on-field achievement?

Should we take away his white and gold shoes until he achieves certain benchmarks?

No, you put it out there as a general statement to the rest of the thread that seemed to be disagreeing with your stance on this.
    Thanks netcop, I’ll try to do better next time. Thanks for not giving me a ticket this time.

Let’s put it this way:

If Baez, who has also mostly sucked this year, lucked his way into an infield single off of Garrett last night and then started over the top doing the “F you” thing towards him from first base, every single person on this board would’ve reacted with “wtf lol look at this pinhead”

Same concept.
    This argument is in bad faith as it is starting from the basis of Garrett's K being lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    The line does need to be drawn somewhere. Otherwise it's WWF.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Herd View Post
    Thanks netcop, I’ll try to do better next time. Thanks for not giving me a ticket this time.
    Maybe you shouldn’t post on a message board if you can’t handle people disagreeing with you. Or maybe pump the brakes on the whole act where you’re the arbiter of what’s acceptable criticism of any Reds player. You’ve been here for a few weeks. I promise you that you don’t own the place despite how your attitude comes across.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (05-03-2021),RollyInRaleigh (05-02-2021)

It’s so ridiculous bat flips get lumped in with what AG did last night.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

11. Likes:

Crumbley (05-02-2021),REDREAD (05-03-2021),TexasRedsFan (05-02-2021),wally post (05-03-2021),Wonderful Monds (05-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    What is the acceptable WAR to be allowed to celebrate an on-field achievement?

Should we take away his white and gold shoes until he achieves certain benchmarks?
    You’re doing the whole “uhh well this is a slippery slope, how can we ever know unless there aren’t literal rules for this kinda thing?????” bit

Let’s start with “not literally negative WAR” if you want. That’s an extremely low bar.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (05-03-2021)

You’re doing the whole “uhh well this is a slippery slope, how can we ever know unless there aren’t literal rules for this kinda thing?????” bit

Let’s start with “not literally negative WAR” if you want. That’s an extremely low bar.
    It's a bit to ask your threshold for the ridiculous assertion that you have to be at a certain level of achievement both in the current season and career to be permitted to celebrate?

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    It's a bit to ask your threshold for the ridiculous assertion that you have to be at a certain level of achievement both in the current season and career to be permitted to celebrate?
    Yes I think it is a “bit”, because like I said earlier ITT, it’s extremely obvious to anyone who’s ever watched sports the concept of “you have to back up showboating with actual performance”, you’re far, far in the minority of people who don’t think what Garrett did last night was extremely lame.

16. Likes:

RollyInRaleigh (05-02-2021)

Also let’s be real - the issue is not with Garrett “celebrating”, a fist pump and a shout would’ve been warranted.

He was directly taunting Rizzo, the Bally Reds feed showed him walking right up to home plate as Rizzo was digging in before the AB started. Say what you want about celebrating, which I don’t care about, but actually taunting another player IS something you definitely have to earn.

18. Likes:

mth123 (05-02-2021),REDREAD (05-03-2021),RedTeamGo! (05-02-2021),RollyInRaleigh (05-02-2021),TexasRedsFan (05-02-2021)

I've got zero problem with Reds players giving Cubs players an earful.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

20. Likes:

757690 (05-02-2021),Fil3232 (05-02-2021),Moose Herd (05-02-2021),vaticanplum (05-02-2021)

Also let’s be real - the issue is not with Garrett “celebrating”, a fist pump and a shout would’ve been warranted.

He was directly taunting Rizzo, the Bally Reds feed showed him walking right up to home plate as Rizzo was digging in before the AB started. Say what you want about celebrating, which I don’t care about, but actually taunting another player IS something you definitely have to earn.
    First, it’s Rizzo. Every Red has earned the right to taunt that DBag

Second, we don’t know what happened there. Maybe Rizzo started that by saying something to Garrett.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Yes I think it is a “bit”, because like I said earlier ITT, it’s extremely obvious to anyone who’s ever watched sports the concept of “you have to back up showboating with actual performance”, you’re far, far in the minority of people who don’t think what Garrett did last night was extremely lame.
    A couple things here:

1. Show me where I said it wasn't lame. I said it's not my style but I'm also not going to call Amir names and disparage him on a message board over it. I roll my eyes and move on

2. Whether you are in denial about it or not, Amir has performed at the MLB level

3. I reject the notion that you have to back up showboating or you are "embarrassing", "a fool", "a clown". To me, the pearl clutching over it is the performative theatre here

Turn Off Ads?