Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: AG last night

Re: AG last night

Garrett with another good inning today.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (05-02-2021),goreds2 (05-02-2021),Mitri (05-02-2021),NebraskaRed (05-03-2021),ochoa30 (05-02-2021),OGB (05-03-2021),Ron Madden (05-02-2021),Roy Tucker (05-02-2021),Tom Servo (05-02-2021),wally post (05-03-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Garrett with another good inning today.
    Bell has such confidence in him that he didn’t get to face a pitcher pinch hitting for the last out.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

[QUOTE=Bob Sheed;4243663]I wouldn't say Unsportmanlike Conduct is rarely called in the NFL. At least once a game I would estimate, when rival teams are playing. At least. 15 free yards for the other team because someone can't just show them how awesome they are, they have to tell them too.

I understand rivalries and fire in sports. I don't think it belongs in routine Ks. So is Garrett going to display that "fire" every. single. time. with Rizzo? If nothing else, it dilutes the times when that kind of fire really does add to the game. And again, does the other team then have the right to show Garrett up every time he walks somebody? Do we celebrate every single decent play? 4-3-1 routine double play, and we're all flexing at each other, screaming?

God I hope not.

Also, Trevor Bauer is most certainly not a guy who "gets it." Luis Castillo "gets it." Suarez "gets" it. Votto "gets" it. I applaud Bauer for calling out MLB in the way he does, but the rest of it is shallow promotion. Not where I would choose to hang my hat, but YMMV.[/QUOT

Baseball is about marketing and Bauer gets it better than anyone. He understands it's ok to have fun and taunt your opponent. I take it you have never played sports. Part of the fun is talking crap to your opponents and shaking hands afterward. As for celebrating walks you are making the most absurd claims possible to try to weaken my position. Rizzo and the Reds had beef, Garrett has struggled and it all came to ahead.

[QUOTE=Thisyear;4243710]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I wouldn't say Unsportmanlike Conduct is rarely called in the NFL. At least once a game I would estimate, when rival teams are playing. At least. 15 free yards for the other team because someone can't just show them how awesome they are, they have to tell them too.

I understand rivalries and fire in sports. I don't think it belongs in routine Ks. So is Garrett going to display that "fire" every. single. time. with Rizzo? If nothing else, it dilutes the times when that kind of fire really does add to the game. And again, does the other team then have the right to show Garrett up every time he walks somebody? Do we celebrate every single decent play? 4-3-1 routine double play, and we're all flexing at each other, screaming?

God I hope not.

Also, Trevor Bauer is most certainly not a guy who "gets it." Luis Castillo "gets it." Suarez "gets" it. Votto "gets" it. I applaud Bauer for calling out MLB in the way he does, but the rest of it is shallow promotion. Not where I would choose to hang my hat, but YMMV.[/QUOT

Baseball is about marketing and Bauer gets it better than anyone. He understands it's ok to have fun and taunt your opponent. I take it you have never played sports. Part of the fun is talking crap to your opponents and shaking hands afterward. As for celebrating walks you are making the most absurd claims possible to try to weaken my position. Rizzo and the Reds had beef, Garrett has struggled and it all came to ahead.
    It's not ok to taunt your opponent. It's... wait for it... unsportsmanlike. I played plenty of sports back in the day. If someone incessantly taunted the other team like that, the next field that player wanted to go on better have a ramp. It was worth the ejection, the red card, whatever.

That being said, as an adult I don't condone that behavior either. Baseball's unwritten rules are falling by the wayside and good riddance. But some kind of ground rules need to be implemented in place of the antiquated unwritten rules, or, like I said before, you'll have 500 AGs, Bauers, etc all competing to see who can show the most fire, and we're in WWE territory at that point.

I'm sure I sound old. I am old. But MLB to me, has always been one of the rare sports that don't need to be cranked up to full blast. We have football and basketball for that. Clearly I am far more Field of Dreams than MLB The Show, that's pretty obvious. And who knows... if I was 20 or 30 years younger than I am, maybe I'd agree with you. It's a young man's game, and with each passing day, guys like me are more and more in the way.

One day it'll happen to you too.

In the meantime, we'll just have to disagree on this one, but again, I respect your opinion. I just hope my quiet little game doesn't go Hollywood too quickly. That feeling of walking into the ballpark. The organ. The beer guy. The balls popping into mitts. So much room to breathe. And then, a few times a game, something really exciting happens. It's like it goes from 2 to 11, then quickly back to 2. Too much 11 dilutes the magic of it all, In my opinion.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-02-2021),RollyInRaleigh (05-02-2021),Roy Tucker (05-02-2021),SunDeck (05-02-2021),TexasRedsFan (05-02-2021),Thisyear (05-02-2021),westofyou (05-02-2021)

Seems like AG had to get himself going somehow and if it meant pissing off the Cubs, all the better. He was mouthing something to the effect of “I’m back, I’m good” today.

9. Likes:

757690 (05-02-2021),Ron Madden (05-02-2021)

Also, Baez didn’t actually want to fight AG. Baez knew it, AG knew it, everybody now knows it. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    The NFL has 15 yard penalties that disagree with you.
    Hooray, they're garbage. Let's be garbage too.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

Moose Herd (05-03-2021)

Just remember, don't taunt the fear demon.

Put me down for hating the taunting "big time wrestling" stuff. Celebrating your own success is OK. Directing it at the opponent who failed is low class crap. It's especially low class when the guy who succeeded isn't really all that good overall.

IMO, Amir Garrett is way over-rated as a pitcher who has made his reputation by being matched up properly over the years. A boxer with a good record because he's spent 5 years beating up on ham and eggers doesn't really have a claim at a shot at the title, he's just a guy who has been matched up well. IMO, Garrett is the relief pitcher version of that. He's a useful weapon in the right role. He's not a special pitcher that he appears to think he is. Get people out and shut up.
    Last edited by mth123; 05-03-2021 at 12:07 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

REDREAD (05-03-2021),RollyInRaleigh (05-03-2021),texasdave (05-03-2021),wally post (05-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Put me down for hating the taunting "big time wrestling" stuff. Celebrating your own success is OK. Directing it at the opponent who failed is low class crap. It's especially low class when the guy who succeeded isn't really all that good overall.

IMO, Amir Garrett is way over-rated as a pitcher who has made his reputation by being matched up properly over the years. A boxer with a good record because he's spent 5 years beating up on ham and eggers doesn't really have a claim at a shot at the title, he's just a guy who has been matched up well. IMO, Garrett is the relief pitcher version of that IMO. He's a useful weapon in the right role. He's not a special pitcher that he appears to think he is. Get people out and shut up.
    I just reject the notion that you have to be a certain level of "good" to taunt/showboat. It's either all low rent or not. To be honest, I have way more respect for the guys who talk junk all the time than the guys that only talk when things are going well.

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    David Bell had a stern response to David Ross and Javier Báez commenting on Amir Garrett: "I don’t care what they think of our team or any player on our team."

18. Likes:

757690 (05-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I just reject the notion that you have to be a certain level of "good" to taunt/showboat. It's either all low rent or not. To be honest, I have way more respect for the guys who talk junk all the time than the guys that only talk when things are going well.
    Let me clarify. Its all "low rent." When you do it when you aren't very good your self or in a game where your team is losing, it looks even more foolish.

I have respect for guys who shut up and win. Talk is cheap.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

20. Likes:

REDREAD (05-03-2021),RedsBrick (05-03-2021),RollyInRaleigh (05-03-2021),texasdave (05-03-2021),wally post (05-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Let me clarify. Its all "low rent." When you do it when you aren't very good your self or in a game where your team is losing, it looks even more foolish.

I have respect for guys who shut up and win. Talk is cheap.
    This is supposed to be entertainment, not a board meeting.

In one corner we have UFC with cage matches in the other corner we have Golf with pressed pants and signed scorecards

Lurking in-between we have longest continued organize professional sport in America

23. Likes:

Bob Sheed (05-03-2021),RiverRat13 (05-03-2021),Wonderful Monds (05-03-2021)

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    David Bell had a stern response to David Ross and Javier Báez commenting on Amir Garrett: "I don’t care what they think of our team or any player on our team."
    You'll notice Bell didn't name any posters on RedsZone. He agrees that the line has to be somewhere, that it's impossible to say where the line is, and that it's objectively clear that AG crossed it.

Turn Off Ads?