Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2021 A+ Dayton Roster Published

2021 A+ Dayton Roster Published

Dayton roster published. Trying to get pix that is not huge.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 05-03-2021 at 09:35 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dayton Roster Published

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dayton roster smaller.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	17213

So right off the bat I'm a little underwhelmed . Some interesting starters win Davis, Ashcraft and Richardson. And Siani and Hurtubise (Army speedster) in outfield. The rest don't jump out at me,

I never heard of a single relief pitcher on this staff. Probably my bad, but anyone noteworthy?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    So right off the bat I'm a little underwhelmed . Some interesting starters win Davis, Ashcraft and Richardson. And Siani and Hurtubise (Army speedster) in outfield. The rest don't jump out at me,
    You should be excited (relatively) about C Eric Yang. He hit well in the Pioneer League until the last week or two when he ran out of gas. He is almost assuredly the best prospect on the roster and a good bet to make it to the major leagues, even if he's only ever a backup's backup. (Catchers are almost all fungible-- and they're given shot after shot after shot.)

Brian Rey has a little pop and an idea at the plate. He is apparently being tried at 2B. He's one to keep an eye on.

Victor Ruiz was a Bonus Baby of note who's been moved off catcher in favor of 3B. He's got some helium left, I think. (He's also going to have to share 3B with Juan Martinez, another guy who's shown a few things, but not enough.)

That's about it, really. Everyone else has some interest, but they'll have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I never heard of a single relief pitcher on this staff. Probably my bad, but anyone noteworthy?
    Without doing research I know a lot of them are UDFAs picked up in last couple years, and a couple of them like Schneider have been mentioned by Boddy previously. They are probably better than the hitters in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    You should be excited (relatively) about C Eric Yang.... He is almost assuredly the best prospect on the roster...
    I think you might have meant best hitting prospect. (And even then I think I'd put him behind Siani), those three starters are for me way better prospects.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I think you might have meant best hitting prospect. (And even then I think I'd put him behind Siani), those three starters are for me way better prospects.
    It's a bold take, but I stand by it.

Yang, to me, is a top 10 guy with upside. (Obviously, MLB doesn't agree.)

Maybe Lyon Richardson is that guy.

Ashcraft and Davis will have to show me.

11. Likes:

M2 (05-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    It's a bold take, but I stand by it.

Yang, to me, is a top 10 guy with upside. (Obviously, MLB doesn't agree.)

Maybe Lyon Richardson is that guy.

Ashcraft and Davis will have to show me.
    I think you've staked a claim for president of the Eric Yang fanclub.

Think you're significantly higher on him than most. I view him as more of an organizational guy. He certainly wouldn't be the first college player to hit in Billings then fizzle.

Overall, feels like a pretty underwhelming roster, but I suppose sandwiched between good rosters in Daytona and Chattanooga will do that.

They keep telling us Siani's likely a big leaguer. Hasn't shown it with the bat yet, but maybe this is the year. People go nuts over his defense.

Keep an eye on those 3 starters, Bill specially Ashcraft and Richardson

14. Likes:

Griffey012 (05-03-2021)

Here's an expanded roster
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dayton roster expanded.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	17214

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I think you've staked a claim for president of the Eric Yang fanclub.

Think you're significantly higher on him than most. I view him as more of an organizational guy. He certainly wouldn't be the first college player to hit in Billings then fizzle.

Overall, feels like a pretty underwhelming roster, but I suppose sandwiched between good rosters in Daytona and Chattanooga will do that.

They keep telling us Siani's likely a big leaguer. Hasn't shown it with the bat yet, but maybe this is the year. People go nuts over his defense.
    It's not that I think Yang is a sure-fire starter-- it's that I think so little of the rest of them. Richardson's intriguing as a pitcher, but TINSTAAPP applies, at least until AA. Siani's a fifth OF at this point. Yang's at least shown he can hit (and hit with some pop). He reminds me a bit of a rich man's Chad Wallach, and that guy's played in parts of four major league seasons now.

Fwiw, my top 10 prospect list has about six guys who I think will be pretty good (Greene, Hendrick, Callihan, Garcia, Lodolo, O'Brien) and five or six who might be (Yang, Richardson, Hinds, Roa, Johnson, Marrero).
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 05-03-2021 at 12:05 PM.

Ashcraft, Richardson, and Davis appear to be starters and will be interesting to follow. Not sure who the other starters will be. Salinas has started in the past, but it's getting time to convert him to reliever. Braxton Roxby is interesting aside from having an 'x' in both names. He's an undrafted FA who will start at A+ at age 22. Reds must see something in him.

Outfield is interesting. I am higher on Siani than most, LHH CF'er with plus glove. Lots of guys that could be breakthrough candidates---Hurtubise, Cotton, Bautista, Rey.

Infield may not be as bad as it looked to me at first glance. Urbaez is interesting, appears to be a senior sign out of Florida International that will start at A+. I have no idea if he can stick at SS; my guess would be no.

Just read Doug's comments on the Dayton roster. He has Salinas and Salazar as starters.

I feel like Noah Davis is going to kick a lot of tail and then move fast through the system. They've been propping him for the past year and that could mean he's going to look like he's got the cheat codes against rusty minor league hitters.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?