Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2021 mace Minor League Player of the Day Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The 2021 mace Minor League Player of the Day Thread

After mace passed this past year, I thought it'd be good to honor his contributions to the board by keeping his MiLB POD thread going for another year. I'm happy to commit to Tuesday and Thursday games (and possibly more if needed). Anyone up for taking a day or two?

I'll post the first one tomorrow morning in a similar format that mace used and we all can use that as a template so we can keep things somewhat consistent.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-10-2021),BillDoran (05-04-2021),Boss-Hog (05-11-2021),Bourgeois Zee (05-04-2021),cumberlandreds (05-05-2021),Kc61 (05-04-2021),M2 (05-04-2021),ochoa30 (05-14-2021),redsmetz (07-12-2021),texasdave (05-04-2021),Tuff Nut (05-04-2021),UKFlounder (05-04-2021)

Re: The 2021 mace Minor League Player of the Day Thread

I can do a day if you need me.

4. Likes:

BillDoran (05-04-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

How about we call it the "mace memorial" MLPOD thread?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-05-2021),mth123 (05-04-2021),ochoa30 (05-14-2021),thatcoolguy_22 (05-08-2021),Tuff Nut (05-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    How about we call it the "mace memorial" MLPOD thread?
    We can call it the MAce (for the poster and for being the minor ace).

Love these threads. RIP Mace. I don't think I have the time to help this year, but keep us posted and what you have and what you need, I might be able to help.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I can commit to a day a week, Monday games would be good.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

BillDoran (05-04-2021)

I would take a day or two. Wednesday and Sunday games.

I'm glad there's momentum to keep this going. I'm good with changing the title of the thread to one of the suggestions above, whatever the mods think is appropriate. I believe they have to change thread titles on their end anyway. Here's the schedule so far:

Monday games - Tom Servo
    Tuesday games - Reds Freak
    Wednesday games - TexasDave
    Thursday games - Reds Freak
    Friday games - Open
    Saturday games - Open
    Sunday games - TexasDave

Maybe Bourgeois Zee can take Friday or Saturday? And we'll find one more volunteer by the end of the week.

I suggest we aim for having our posts up by noon of the following day at the latest. I'm happy to find replacements when you can't make your post, so shoot me a PM if you're unavailable on a certain week.

Thanks all for your help! Look forward to reading these recaps.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Games of Tuesday, May 4 (MiLB Opening Day)

Quincy McAfee, Dayton: 3-5, HR, R, 4 RBI. An unlikely name for our first Player of the Day on the season, but the 2019 26th-rounder out of Pepperdine clinched the honor with a 9th-inning grand slam that put the game away for the Dragons. Slashed .291/.359/.357 in 60 games for Billings in 2019.

Other notables on a night that saw the Lookouts waiting another day to play due to rain:

Mark Payton, Louisville: 2-4, 3B, R, RBI

Scott Heineman, Louisville: 1-2, HR, R, RBI, 2 BB

Brandon Finnegan, Louisville: 2.2 IP, H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K. Auditioning for the LH bullpen spot during AG's suspension.

Cionel Perez, Louisville: IP, BB, 2 K. Says it'll probably be me up there again.

Art Warren, Louisville: IP, H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K

Jacob Hurtubise, Dayton: 1-3, 2 R, 2 BB, 2 SB

Michael Siani, Dayton: 2-5, 2 RBI, 3 K

Eric Yang, Dayton: 2-5, HR, R, RBI. The 2019 7th-round catcher from UCSB is one to watch in 2021.

Quin Cotton, Dayton: 2-4, R, 2 RBI, BB

Lyon Richardson, Dayton: 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 3 K. Solid start for the Dragon ace.

Braxton Roxby, Dayton: IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K. Entered a 4-2 game with two men on and struck out each batter he faced.

Debby Santana, Daytona: 2-4, R

Allan Cerda, Daytona: 1-3, HR, R, RBI, BB. Although he gave a pair to the other side with a two-out, ninth-inning error that cost the Tortugas the game.

Tanner Cooper, Daytona: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, BB, 3 K

James Proctor, Daytona: 3 IP, H, 0 R, BB, 4 K
    Last edited by Reds Freak; 05-04-2021 at 10:49 PM.
    -Walt Whitman

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-10-2021),BillDoran (05-05-2021),Bourgeois Zee (05-05-2021),cumberlandreds (05-05-2021),Edd Roush (05-05-2021),M2 (05-05-2021),Mitri (05-05-2021),ochoa30 (05-14-2021),OGB (05-07-2021),SirFelixCat (05-04-2021),texasdave (05-05-2021),Tom Servo (05-04-2021)

Thanks for doing this again this season. It's a good way for me to get a glimpse of who is doing well or not so well in the minors. It seems to me an incredible amount of work to go over all these games everyday and is appreciated much by me.

Also honoring mace was/is a great idea!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

16. Likes:

mth123 (05-05-2021),OGB (05-07-2021),Reds Freak (05-06-2021),SirFelixCat (05-06-2021),texasdave (05-05-2021),UKFlounder (05-05-2021)

Games of Wednesday, May 5 (Cinco de Mayo

Hunter Greene, Chattanooga 5 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 8 K. Unsubstantiated rumor that he hit 106 on the gun. AA debut worth the wait.

Honorable mention

Rece Hinds, Daytona: Reached base 5 times on a DBL, HR (1), BB, and 2 ROE. Not sure if his home run has landed yet.

Other notable performance on the nigt.

Tony Santillan, Louisville: 4 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1ER, 0 BB, 7 K.

R.J. Alaniz, Louisville: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K.

Hector Perez, Louisville: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K.

Brad Brach, Louisville: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K.

Scott Heineman, Louisville: SGL, BB.

Dwight Smith, Jr., Louisville: SGL, BB.

Mike Freeman, Louisville: SGL, 2 BB, RS.

Alfredo Rodriguez, Louisville: TRPL, BB, RBI.

Nick Howard, Chattanooga: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K.

Reiver Sanmartin, Chattanooga: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K.

Dauri Moreta, Chattanooga: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K.

Alejo Lopez, Chattanooga: 2 SGL, BB, RBI.

Jose Garcia, Chattanooga: HR (1), BB, RS, RBI.

Yoel Yanqui, Chattanooga: SGL, BB, HBP, 2 RS.

Mark Kolozsvary, Chattanooga: 2 DBL, 2 BB, 2 RBI.

Robbie Tenerowicz, Chattanooga: SGL, BB.

Eddie Salazar, Dayton: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 3 K.

Jacques Pucheu, Dayton: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 5 K.

Francis Peguero, Dayton: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K.

Johnnie Schneider, Dayton: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.

Jacob Hurtubise, Dayton: 2 BB.

Eric Yang, Dayton: DBL, BB, RS.

Quincy McAfee, Dayton: 3 BB, RS.

Brian Rey, Dayton: SGL, HR (1), RS, 3 RBI.

Victor Ruiz, Dayton: SGL, BB.

Carson Spiers, Daytona: 4.1 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K.

Juan Abril, Daytona: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 K.

Austin Hendrick, Daytona: 3 BB, OUTFIELD ASSIST.

Ivan Johnson, Daytona: SGL, 3 BB, 2 RS, RBI.

Alan Cerda, Daytona: SGL, DBL, TRPL, 2 RS, RBI

Debby Santana, Daytona: SGL, BB, RS.

Wilfredo Astudillo, Daytona: 2 SGL, RS, 2 RBI.

Danny Lantigua, Daytona: SGL, DBL, RS, RBI.

18. Likes:

BillDoran (05-06-2021),OGB (05-07-2021),RED VAN HOT (05-06-2021),Reds Freak (05-06-2021),SirFelixCat (05-06-2021)

Good to see Hunter Greene getting the MLPD for yesterday. Note that Tony Santillan’s run allowed was unearned. He was a worthy candidate as well.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-06-2021 at 10:53 AM.

It was great to be able to turn on MiLB TV and switch between watching the Louisville, Chattanooga, and Dayton games. Got to see a couple innings each of both Greene and Santillan. The run Greene gave up should have been an unearned run as well. Well deserved to be named "Player of the Day."
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Games of Thursday, May 6

You can flip a coin with the starting pitching performances on the farm tonight, but BBs make me sick so I'm giving the Player of the Day nod to the guy who doesn't offer many free passes. Nick Lodolo, Chattanooga: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 10 K. Gave up two singles in the first then retired the next 14.

Every other SP gets an Honorable Mention tonight:

Vlad Gutierrez, Louisville: 6 IP, H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 6 K

Michael Byrne, Chattanooga: 3 IP, H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Noah Davis, Dayton: 5 IP, H, R, ER, BB, 8 K

Other performances of note:

Mark Payton, Louisville: 3-5, 2B, R, RBI. This fella might be our classic AAAA guy.

Scott Heineman, Louisville: 1-5, 3B, 2 R, 3 RBI, SB

Alfredo Rodriguez, Louisville: 2-3, R, SB

Phillip Diehl, Louisville: IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Shane Carle, Louisville: IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Alejo Lopez, Chattanooga: 3-8, R, SB

Jose Garcia, Chattanooga: 2-7, HR, R, 2 RBI, BB. Second longball of the year, but did commit his first fielding miscue.

Lorenzo Cedrola, Chattanooga: 2-6, 3B, 3 R, BB

Leonardo Rivas, Chattanooga: 2-2, 2 R, RBI

Mark Kolozsvary, Chattanooga: 1-2, HR, R, 3 RBI, BB. Went deep off our old buddy Packy Naughton.

Narciso Crook, Chattanooga: 2-4, HR, R, 2 RBI. Also greeted Packy rudely.
    -Walt Whitman

22. Likes:

BillDoran (05-06-2021),cumberlandreds (05-07-2021),OGB (05-07-2021),RED VAN HOT (05-07-2021),RedTeamGo! (05-06-2021),texasdave (05-07-2021),Tom Servo (05-06-2021),UKFlounder (05-07-2021)

Game for 5/7/2021, a night where the bats were (mostly) fine, but the pitching spit the bit:

Leonardo Rivas, SS [AA Chattanooga]: 4 - 5 is always reason to celebrate-- even if the team lost. Rivas was a HR short of the cycle for the night and brought his seasonal line up to a slightly more than pedestrian .857 BA and 2.161 OPS. I'm pretty sure, should he continue to hit like this all season, Rivas would be an acceptable return for "The Demon's Head" Raisel Iglesias.

Others of note on a night when our farm went 2 - 5, but no one really cared all that much because Wade Miley threw a no-hitter(!):

Brad Bach [RP, AAA Louisville]: 1 IP, 2 K, 1 H He's slumming it in AAA, but is, I'm guessing the first call-up when the Reds have had enough of the relievers on the struggle bus and can afford a 40-man roster spot.

Alejo Lopez, [2B, AA Chattanooga]: 2 - 4, double, RBI, 2 BB. Lopez continues to show that he should probably be in AAA now. The Lookouts' leadoff hitter is hitting .438 and has gotten on base more than half the time he's come to the plate. He might be the most anonymous prospect in the entire system. Lopez has been around forever and has put up good numbers, but who thinks of him? His nickname should be The Silence.

Mark Kolozsvary [C, AA Chattanooga]: 2 - 3, HR, double. No one's started the year hotter than the former Florida catcher. He's positively Kardashian. That's his second dong of the season and third double. The Reds typically like to stash a veteran guy at Louisville, but Kolozsvary could well be in line as a back-up to Tyler Stephenson as early as 2022. He probably won't hit .714 on the season or OPS 2.833 with 5 BB against every K, though.

Wilson Garcia [1B, AA Chattanooga]: The Lookout 1B and buffet super fan had three more hits last night in six ABs. That's getting it done. Speaking of getting done, Garcia is never done at the plate. I mean the dinner plate. He's a fan favorite because he looks like the guy who just scarfed down the four-lb. burger challenge. That 227 lb. frame was from the 8th grade.

TJ Hopkins [CF, AA Chattanooga]: 2 - 4 on the night, with a BB and an RBI. Hopkins jumped from the Pioneer League (RIP) to AA in one year. That's pretty impressive, especially for not playing. The kid's (24) holding his own too, with a .333 BA and a Vottonian OBP of .429. He might be a prospect of note as the season progresses. We'll see.

Brain Rey [2B, A+ Dayton]: 1 - 4 but with a grand slam for his 2nd HR on the season. Rey again played 2B. He looks like a Dan Uggla type, but he doesn't strike out. 54 K's in nearly 500 minor league ABs. Unfortunately, he doesn't walk (25) either.

Michael Siana [DH, A+ Dayton]: 2 - 4, 2 SB, 1 BB. Yes, the best defensive prospect in the Red system DH'ed last night. Perhaps he's hurt but not injured? Siani's BA is near .300. That's good to see. He'll need a carrying tool to carve out a larger major league career beyond his glove and speed.

Quincy McAfee [LF, A+ Dayton]: 2 - 4, 2B. McAfee's been all over the early-season MACE Awards. That happens when your line is .385/ .500/ .692. Minor League Baseball has him as a SS, but he's playing LF. Sigh. He played SS at Pepperdine. Ah, well. Nice to see him rake early, at any rate.

Jose Tello [1B, A+, Dayton]: 2 - 4, 2 RBI, 2B. Tello feels like he's been around forever., but he's only 22. He catches when he doesn't play 1B, so there's some added value there. He showed some promise in 2019 after a few years of scuffling. It was a small sample, to be sure, so this might be a show-me season in A+.

Tyler Garbee [RP, A+ Dayton]: 1.1 IP, 4 K, 2 BB, and the win (1 - 0). Garbee, from that baseball powerhouse Mercyhurst, is one of Boddy's darlings. He was impressive, nearly pulling the full Satchel in his time in the game. He showed some tasty peripherals in Greeneville in 2019 and might be a sleeper.

Braxton Roxy [RP, A+ Dayton]: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 3 K, save (1). "Night at the" Roxby continued to show out. He's another Boddy Baby. 22 and a NDFA from last season. the 22-year-old apparently throws a frisbee slider and can muscle it up there too. Someone to watch, especially in the closer role. Might be a good one.

Jacob Hurtubise [RF, A+ Dayton]: 1 - 2, 1 H, 2 SB (4). Nice to see him succeed as another NDFA, but the kid needs a nickname soon. The Hurt Locker would be fine, but he's not really known for his power, right? Anyone got an idea? Regardless, love to see the four early-season SB. I'd love to see he and Siani go all McGee/ Coleman on Dayton's opponents.

Jake Gozzo [RP, A- Daytona]: 2.0 IP, 4 K. Gozzo nuts, everybody! The former Indy League 1B (according to baseball-reference) and NDFA stood out. 4 K is a fun way to begin a professional career.

Tanner Cooper [RP, A- Daytona]: 1.1 IP, 1 K. Cooper is apparently going to be the workhorse of the 'Tuga bullpen. He's already thrown 3.1 IP with 4 K this year. He's pitched very well last year and is another guy who caught Kyle Boddy's eye. He's only 21 and has grown a man's beard.

24. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-10-2021),RED VAN HOT (05-08-2021),Reds Freak (05-08-2021),RedsfaninMT (05-08-2021),texasdave (05-08-2021),UKFlounder (05-08-2021)

Turn Off Ads?