Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2021 mace Minor League Player of the Day Thread

Re: The 2021 mace Minor League Player of the Day Thread

Hurtubise is intriguing as he is probably the fastest Reds player since Billy Hamilton (122 SB's in 903 PA's combined). Also has a .431 OBP in short time this year. That being said he has absolutely zero power.....and I mean ZERO. No career HR's in college or the majors, which seems odd considering his speed should have gotten at least a few inside the parkers.

Good video of his experiences thus far and some of his accomplishments (Didn't realize he was conference Defensive MVP in college at CF. Although he's playing LF this year with Quin Cotton at CF. Makes me wonder if his arm is a question mark. 2 career OF assist in 215 games although not sure if they kept this stat at West Point)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4RLXGCI7cA
    Last edited by DocRed; 05-24-2021 at 09:55 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Hurtubise is intriguing as he is probably the fastest Reds player since Billy Hamilton (122 SB's in 903 PA's combined). Also has a .431 OBP in short time this year. That being said he has absolutely zero power.....and I mean ZERO. No career HR's in college or the majors, which seems odd considering his speed should have gotten at least a few inside the parkers.

Good video of his experiences thus far and some of his accomplishments (Didn't realize he was conference Defensive MVP in college at CF. Although he's playing LF this year with Quin Cotton at CF. Makes me wonder if his arm is a question mark. 2 career OF assist in 215 games although not sure if they kept this stat at West Point)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4RLXGCI7cA
    Quin Cotton must be one heckuva centerfielder. He pushed Hurtubise to left, and Siani to DH.

4. Likes:

BillDoran (05-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Quin Cotton must be one heckuva centerfielder. He pushed Hurtubise to left, and Siani to DH.
    I'm guessing that they know those guys can play CF and don't need to worry about it. Cotton has more offensive potential but its iffy for a Corner OF. IF he can play CF, he becomes the best prospect of the three.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Siani gets a lot of chatter from prospect experts. Seems to me he can’t hit a lick.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

An onslaught of honorable mentions has added quite a bit of bulk to the standings this week, but none of them were able to catch up to our early leader Brian Rey. Top pitcher has seen some changes though, as Nick Lodolo and Reiver Sanmartin both picked up their 2nd macePODs of the year, and even Carson Spiers has jumped Hunter Greene now thanks to being honorable twice this week. Here's the updated standings:

Brian Rey 3 0
    Nick Lodolo 2 0
    Reiver Sanmartin 2 0
    Carson Spiers 1 2
    Hunter Greene 1 1
    Narciso Crook 1 0
    Austin Hendrick 1 0
    Alejo Lopez 1 0
    Quincy McAfee 1 0
    Scott Proctor 1 0
    Leonardo Rivas 1 0
    Tony Santillan 1 0
    Gus Steiger 1 0
    Tyler Callihan 0 2
    RJ Alaniz 0 1
    Graham Ashcraft 0 1
    Stevie Branch 0 1
    Michael Byrne 0 1
    Noah Davis 0 1
    Mike Freeman 0 1
    Wilson Garcia 0 1
    Vladimir Gutierrez 0 1
    Nick Hanson 0 1
    Rece Hinds 0 1
    TJ Hopkins 0 1
    Ricky Karcher 0 1
    Evan Kravetz 0 1
    Danny Lantigua 0 1
    Alex McGarry 0 1
    Jason Parker 0 1
    Matt Pidich 0 1
    Lyon Richardson 0 1
    Ricky Salinas 0 1
    Bo Takahashi 0 1
    Robbie Tenerowicz 0 1
    Vincent Timpanelli 0 1
    Yoel Yanqui 0 1

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-25-2021),podgejeff_ (05-26-2021),SirFelixCat (05-25-2021),texasdave (05-24-2021),Tom Servo (05-24-2021),UKFlounder (05-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Siani gets a lot of chatter from prospect experts. Seems to me he can’t hit a lick.
    Pedigree and signing bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm guessing that they know those guys can play CF and don't need to worry about it. Cotton has more offensive potential but its iffy for a Corner OF. IF he can play CF, he becomes the best prospect of the three.
    I'd be pretty surprised if the front office had Cotton ahead of Siani on their list of priorities.

Hurtubise will be fun to follow, but he's not a real prospect. Maybe a cup of coffee one day, but he'll have to prove it every step of the way. He's got a flashy skill, but there's not a lot of substance there.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I'd be pretty surprised if the front office had Cotton ahead of Siani on their list of priorities.

Hurtubise will be fun to follow, but he's not a real prospect. Maybe a cup of coffee one day, but he'll have to prove it every step of the way. He's got a flashy skill, but there's not a lot of substance there.
    He doesn't have to be ahead of Siani to play CF. They know Siani can play CF better than anyone in the organization since Billy Hamilton. They don't need to develop him there. He's big league ready defensively right now. They need to develop his bat and he gets the same PAs from LF or DH that he would playing CF. Cotton, meanwhile, becomes a lot more valuable if he can be a viable CF option. So they play Cotton there so both players can develop in the areas needed.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Pedigree and signing bonus.
    What’s the pedigree?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    What’s the pedigree?
    I remember the draft talk coupling his status as possibly the best defensive outfielder in that draft, along with bloodlines or something, saying that he could have gone earlier than the 4th. And he took an overslot bonus to sign. People were pretty positive about that pick at the time.

Just a gentle reminder to keep prospect discussions to appropriate threads. This thread is easier for everyone to follow with minimal conversation.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

15. Likes:

podgejeff_ (05-26-2021),Tom Servo (05-25-2021)

Games of Tuesday, May 25

Some great offensive performances tonight thanks to wild Dayton and Daytona games, but the macePOD has to go to Nick Lodolo, Lookout: 7 IP, 5 H, 0 R, BB, 8 K. Only 25 of his 97 pitches missed the strike zone, while he coaxed nine groundouts and only a pair of flyouts. His ERA lowers to a paltry 0.40 through four starts.

Honorable Mentions:

Alex McGarry, Dragon: 3-4, 2 HR, 2 RBI, 2 R. The recently promoted Oregon State product is 5-for-11 in a Dayton uniform and has six long balls across two levels this season.

Michael Triana, Tortuga: 3-4, 3B, 4 RBI, 3 R, 2 BB. One of the few productive games so far this season for the Cuban corner infielder.

Other notables on a night that saw the two A-teams, one of which faced Noah Syndergaard, combine for 25 runs.

Nicky Delmonico, Bat: 2-4

Brandon Finnegan, Bat: 3 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 3 K

RJ Alaniz, Bat: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Yoel Yanqui, Lookout: 2-3, 2B, R, RBI, BB

Wilson Garcia, Lookout: 2-4, RBI, R

Michael Byrne/Nick Howard, Lookouts: Combined 2 IP, H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K to finish the shutout for Chattanooga.

Jacob Hurtubise, Dragon: 2-4, 2B, 2 R, BB

Juan Martinez, Dragon: 1-4, HR, 3 RBI, 2 R

Quin Cotton, Dragon: 1-4, HR, RBI, 2 R

Braxton Roxby, Dragon: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, BB, 2 K. Hasn't given up a run and only allowed three hits in 9.0 IP this season.

Tyler Callihan, Tortuga: 2-5, 2B, 2 R. Like this guy at the top of the Daytona order. He's slashing .328/.382/.448 with seven walks and only seven whiffs.

Rece Hinds, Tortuga: 1-3, 2 RBI, 3 R, 3 BB, SB

Wendell Marrero, Tortuga: 2-3, 2 R, BB

Stevie Branche, Tortuga: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-26-2021),OGB (05-26-2021),podgejeff_ (05-26-2021),SirFelixCat (05-25-2021),texasdave (05-25-2021),Tom Servo (05-25-2021)

Pretty darn solid group of unsigned free agents from last year. Alex McGarry, Jacob Hurtubise and James Proctor.

Both of McGary's HR's last night came off lefties (McGary is a LHB) and one was off top prospect Asa Lacy.

BTW I never knew the page below existed until today. Shows all of the Reds top prospects as well as their stats for the year.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/stats?...=10day&minPA=1
    Last edited by DocRed; 05-26-2021 at 03:51 PM.

19. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-27-2021),RED VAN HOT (05-26-2021)

Games of Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Mace Minor League PotD Jacob Hurtubise - Dayton - 3 SGL, BB, Reached on Catcher's Interference, 3 SB (12), RS, RBI (8). Reached on all 5 trips to the plate.

Honorable Mention James Free - Dayton - 2 DBL, BB, RS, 2 RBI (3).

Notable Performances

POS - Nick Delmonico - Louisville - 2 BB, RS.

POS - Alfredo Rodriguez - Louisville - 2 SGL.

POS - Dwight Smith, Jr. - Louisville - 2 SGL, 2 RBI (5).

POS - TJ Friedl - Louisville - SGL, BB.

POS - Chris Okey - Louisville - SGL, BB, RS.

RP - Miguel Figueroa - Chattanooga - Pitched 2 scoreless innings in relief - 0 Ks.

RP - John Ghyzel - Chattanooga - Pitched 1.2 scoreless innings in relief - 3 Ks.

POS - Yoel Yanqui - Chattanooga - SGL, BB.

POS - Leonardo Rivas - Chattanooga - SGL, DBL, BB, RS.

POS/RP - Francisco Urbaez - Dayton - Pitched 1 scoreless inning of relief - 1 K.

POS - Quin Cotton - Dayton - 2 SGL, RS, SB (6).

POS - Michael Hernandez - Dayton - DBL, 2 BB, 2 RS.

POS - Victor Ruiz - Dayton - 2 SGL, RBI (2).

RP - Nick Hanson - Daytona - Pitched one scoreless inning of relief - 0 Ks.

POS - Gus Steiger - Daytona - HR (1), RS, RBI (5).

POS - Rece Hinds - Daytona - HR (4), RS, RBI (10).

POS - Michel Triana - Daytona - 2 SGL.

POS - Wendall Marrero - Daytona - SLG, HR (1), RS, RBI (2).

21. Likes:

BillDoran (05-28-2021),Bourgeois Zee (05-27-2021),cumberlandreds (05-27-2021),HammerTime (05-27-2021),Kc61 (05-27-2021),OGB (05-27-2021),podgejeff_ (05-27-2021),RED VAN HOT (05-27-2021)

Games of Thursday, May 27

macePOD: Tyler Callihan, Daytona: 3-5, 2B, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R. The strong start continues for the Reds third-round pick in 2019. Prior to tonight, the Florida native hasn't shown a ton of power (six doubles, two HRs), but he's been raking to the tune of a .329 BA.

Honorable Mention:

Debby Santana, Daytona: 3-4, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R, BB. The 20-year-old hasn't hit much this year (.178/.275/.267), but belted some rocket shots tonight.

Other notables on a night when the Bats actually won a game. No word yet on the time for the parade in Louisville tomorrow:

Nicky Delmonico, Louisville: 2-3, RBI, R, BB

Dwight Smith Jr., Louisville: 1-3, 2 RBI, R, BB and added a fine running catch in left-center field.

TJ Friedl, Louisville: 2-3, 2 2B, 2 RBI

Bo Takahashi, Louisville: 6 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, BB, 3 K

Carson Fulmer/Phillip Diehl, Louisville: Each with a clean inning and a strikeout

Alejo Lopez, Chattanooga: 2-5, 2B, RBI, R

TJ Hopkins, Chattanooga: 2-3, 2B, RBI, 2 R, BB

Robbie Tenerowicz, Chattanooga: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Dauri Moreta, Chattanooga: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Alexis Diaz, Chattanooga: 2 IP, H, 0 R, BB, 6 K. Escaped the ghost runner situation in the 10th unscathed.

Jacob Hurtubise, Dayton: 1-4, BB, 2 R, SB

Miguel Hernandez, Dayton: 2-4, 2 RBI, SB

Michael Siani, Dayton: 1-3, BB, R

Jacques Puchue, Dayton: 3.1 IP, 2 H, R, ER, BB, 4 K. First run the lefty has surrendered in 13 innings.

Braxton Roxby, Dayton: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K. That's 10.1 IP without giving up a run. Let's see if he can reach his teammate's scoreless streak.

Wendell Marrero, Daytona: 3-5, 3B, RBI, R
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

23. Likes:

BillDoran (05-28-2021),Bourgeois Zee (05-28-2021),cumberlandreds (05-28-2021),OGB (05-28-2021),podgejeff_ (05-28-2021),texasdave (05-27-2021),Tom Servo (05-27-2021)

Turn Off Ads?