Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2021 mace Minor League Player of the Day Thread

Re: The 2021 mace Minor League Player of the Day Thread

This looked liked a potentially dull week in the standings update, with the first four macePODs going to lower ranked prospects getting their first awards of the year. The weekend certainly shook things up though. Lorenzo Cedrola made it a seven player logjam at the top with three macePODs apiece, only to have Graham Ashcraft break that up and zoom to the top of the charts a day later, becoming our first 4-time winner this year. That's what a 43 inning scoreless streak (at least for earned runs) will do for you.

4-2 Graham Ashcraft
    3-3 Alejo Lopez
    3-2 Hunter Greene
    3-0 Lorenzo Cedrola, Nick Lodolo, Brian Rey, Reiver Sanmartin
    2-2 Carson Spiers
    2-0 Jacob Hurtubise
    1-2 Tyler Callihan, Noah Davis, James Free
    1-1 Jose Barrero, Wilson Garcia, Quincy McAfee, James Proctor, Lyon Richardson, Gus Steiger, Michel Triana, Yoel Yanqui
    1-0 Mariel Bautista, Quin Cotton, Narciso Crook, Nicky Delmonico, TJ Friedl, Austin Hendrick, James Marinan, Logan Morrison, Josh Osich, Leonardo Rivas, Chuckie Robinson, Brandon Roxby, Tony Santillan, Leonardo Seminati, Michael Siani, Francisco Urbaez, Case Williams
    0-3 Alex McGarry
    0-2 Michael De Leon, Victor Ruiz, Ricky Salinas, Robbie Tenerowicz, Vincent Timpanelli
    0-1 RJ Alaniz, Brantley Bell, Stevie Branch, Michael Byrne, Allen Cerda, Mike Freeman, Vladimir Gutierrez, Nick Hanson, Rece Hinds, TJ Hopkins, Ricky Karcher, Mark Kolozsvary, Evan Kravetz, Danny Lantigua, Michael Mariot, Jason Parker, Matt Pidich, Debby Santana, Bo Takahashi

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-06-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Games of Sunday, July 4

Mace Minor League Player of the Day - Graham Ashcraft, Chattanooga - 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 6 K. 17 innings at AA, 4 singles. Untouchable in any and all trade scenarios.

World of Ashcraft
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Games of Sunday, July 4

RP - Tony Santillan, Louisville - Pitched one scoreless inning in relief (2 K, 1 H). First appearance out of the pen for Louisville. I prefer him as a starter.
    Long been a Santillan fan, but I'm cool with a move to the bullpen now. Thought he looked a bit over his head in his first look. I also think he might be a real help in the bullpen this year. Being only 24, I'd make it clear that there's definitely still a road back to being a starter, but this is about trying to win now.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Long been a Santillan fan, but I'm cool with a move to the bullpen now. Thought he looked a bit over his head in his first look. I also think he might be a real help in the bullpen this year. Being only 24, I'd make it clear that there's definitely still a road back to being a starter, but this is about trying to win now.
    Santillan as a bullpen guy could be very interesting. Especially if the Reds decide to keep Gray, Mahle, Miley and Castillo and promote Greene next year (as they should). With Lodolo in the wings, he'd be seventh, eighth, or ninth (depending on acquisitions and the front office's opinion of Gutierrez and Antone) in the pecking order. Better, IMO, to have him he;p (a la Antone) at the major league level than be wasted in AAA.

I was interested in texasdave’s comment about preferring Santillan as a starter. I do too. He’d need work, but he had a number of starts of 5,6 and 7 innings this year (minors and one in majors) and seemed to hold up well. No masterpieces, lot of strikeouts and decent results. First crack at AAA, showed promise.

No problem with using Tony in the pen this season. But would like to see him start down the road.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-06-2021 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    No problem with using Tony in the pen this season. But would like to see him start down the road.
    As long as he's not starting in AAA instead of pitching at the major league level, I'm fine with that.

I hate the idea of not taking your 13 best pitchers north.

Games of Tuesday, July 6

A number of great performances last night on the farm, led by macePOD winner TJ Hopkins, Chattanooga: 3-4, 3B, HR, 3 RBI, 2 R. A monster night for the 2019 ninth-round pick. The former Gamecock lifts his average over .300 and sports a solid line of .301/.372/.466.

Honorable Mention:

Michael Mariot, Louisville: 5 IP, 5 H, R, ER, BB, 3 K; 2-3, HR, 2 RBI, R. Perhaps inspired by the presence of Michael Lorenzen in Louisville, the journeyman puts up a performance at the plate and on the mound worthy of mention.

Other notables on a clean 3-0 sweep day for the Reds top teams and rare appearances by so many members of the Louisville squad:

Scott Heineman, Louisville: 2-5, 2B, R

Max Schrock, Louisville: 3-3, 2 R, RBI, BB. See you in MKE.

Jose Barrero, Louisville: 2-5, R, RBI

Alfredo Rodriguez, Louisville: 3-5, 2 RBI, R

Mark Payton, Louisville: 3-5, RBI, R

Chris Okey, Louisville: 2-4, 3B, RBI, R, BB

Michael Lorenzen, Louisville: IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, K

Braxton Lee, Chattanooga: 2-4, 2 RBI, BB

Nick Lodolo, Chattanooga: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, K. Woohoo!

Mac Sceroler, Chattanooga: 3 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K. Another solid outing for the Rule 5 returnee.

Francisco Urbaez, Dayton: 2-4

Quin Cotton, Dayton: 2-4, SB

Mariel Bautista, Dayton: 1-3, HR, RBI, R

Jacques Pucheu, Dayton: 6 IP, 5 H, R, ER, 0 BB, 5 K
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

10. Likes:

BillDoran (07-07-2021),cumberlandreds (07-07-2021),OGB (07-08-2021),podgejeff_ (07-10-2021),texasdave (07-07-2021),Tom Servo (07-07-2021)

I am officially on Jose Barrero K-watch. Only had one last night, but 8 in the previous 4 games. No way do I bring him up if he is averaging 2 strikeouts per game.

12. Likes:

M2 (07-07-2021),Tom Servo (07-07-2021)

Games of Wednesday, July 7

Mace Minor League Player of the Day - Bryce Bonnin, Daytona - By unanimous consent. Perfection for 5 innings in his initial start at Daytona. 5 IP, 0 H, 0 R, O ER, 0 BB, 11 K.

Honorable Mention - Jason Parker, Daytona - The folks in Jackie Robinson Ballpark certainly got an eyeful of excellent starting pitching. 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 10 K.

Notable Performances:

RP - Phillip Diehl, Louisville - Pitched .2 innings of scoreless relief (1 K, 1 H).

RP - Tim Adleman, Louisville - Pitched 1 innings of scoreless relief (0 K, 0 H).

RP - Carson Fulmer, Louisville - Pitched 1 innings of scoreless relief (2 K, 1 H).

RP - Dauri Moreta, Louisville - Pitched 1 innings of scoreless relief (2 K, 1 H).

RP - Edgar Garcia, Louisville - Pitched 1 innings of scoreless relief (1 K, 0 H).

POS - Scott Heineman, Louisville - 2 SGL, SB (4), 2 RS.

POS - Jose Barrero, Louisville - BB, HBP, RBI.

POS - TJ Friedl, Louisville - 2 SGL, BB, RBI.

POS - Mark Payton, Louisville - SGL, HR (4), 2 RS, RBI.

POS - Mallex Smith, Louisville - 2 SGL, 2 BB, SB (4), RBI.

RP - Diomar Lopez, Chattanooga - Pitched 3 scoreless innings in relief (1 K, 3 H).

RP - Miguel Figueroa, Chattanooga - Pitched 2 scoreless innings in relief (2 K, 1 H).

RP - Julio Pinto, Chattanooga - Pitched 1 scoreless inning in relief (3 K, 0 H).

POS - Wilson Garcia, Chattanooga - SGL, DBL RS.

POS - TJ Hopkins, Chattanooga - 2 BB, Outfield Assist (Home).

RP - Matt Gill, Dayton - Pitched 2.2 innings of scoreless relief (2 K, 1 H).

RP - Rickey Karcher, Dayton - Pitched 1 inning of scoreless relief (1 K, 0 H). SV (1).

POS - Brandon Leyton, Daytona (GM 1) - HR (4), 2 RS, 3 RBI.

POS - Garrett Wolforth, Daytona (GM 1) - 2 SGL, BB, RS, RBI.

POS - Ivan Johnson, Daytona (GM 1) - SGL, DBL, 2 SB (6), 2 RS.

POS - Debby Santana, Daytona (GM 1) - 2 SGL, 2 RS.

POS - Danny Lantigua, Daytona (GM 1) - 2 DBL, 2 RS.

RP - Vin Timpanelli, Daytona (GM 2) - Pitched one scoreless inning in relief (2 K, 1 H). SV (7).

POS - Brandon Leyton, Daytona (GM 2) - SGL, DBL.

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-08-2021),OGB (07-09-2021),podgejeff_ (07-10-2021),Reds Freak (07-08-2021),Tom Servo (07-08-2021)

Games of Wednesday, July 7

Mace Minor League Player of the Day - Bryce Bonnin, Daytona - By unanimous consent. Perfection for 5 innings in his initial start at Daytona. 5 IP, 0 H, 0 R, O ER, 0 BB, 11 K.

Honorable Mention - Jason Parker, Daytona - The folks in Jackie Robinson Ballpark certainly got an eyeful of excellent starting pitching. 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 10 K.

Notable Performances:

RP - Phillip Diehl, Louisville - Pitched .2 innings of scoreless relief (1 K, 1 H).

RP - Tim Adleman, Louisville - Pitched 1 innings of scoreless relief (0 K, 0 H).

RP - Carson Fulmer, Louisville - Pitched 1 innings of scoreless relief (2 K, 1 H).

RP - Dauri Moreta, Louisville - Pitched 1 innings of scoreless relief (2 K, 1 H).

RP - Edgar Garcia, Louisville - Pitched 1 innings of scoreless relief (1 K, 0 H).

POS - Scott Heineman, Louisville - 2 SGL, SB (4), 2 RS.

POS - Jose Barrero, Louisville - BB, HBP, RBI.

POS - TJ Friedl, Louisville - 2 SGL, BB, RBI.

POS - Mark Payton, Louisville - SGL, HR (4), 2 RS, RBI.

POS - Mallex Smith, Louisville - 2 SGL, 2 BB, SB (4), RBI.

RP - Diomar Lopez, Chattanooga - Pitched 3 scoreless innings in relief (1 K, 3 H).

RP - Miguel Figueroa, Chattanooga - Pitched 2 scoreless innings in relief (2 K, 1 H).

RP - Julio Pinto, Chattanooga - Pitched 1 scoreless inning in relief (3 K, 0 H).

POS - Wilson Garcia, Chattanooga - SGL, DBL RS.

POS - TJ Hopkins, Chattanooga - 2 BB, Outfield Assist (Home).

RP - Matt Gill, Dayton - Pitched 2.2 innings of scoreless relief (2 K, 1 H).

RP - Rickey Karcher, Dayton - Pitched 1 inning of scoreless relief (1 K, 0 H). SV (1).

POS - Brandon Leyton, Daytona (GM 1) - HR (4), 2 RS, 3 RBI.

POS - Garrett Wolforth, Daytona (GM 1) - 2 SGL, BB, RS, RBI.

POS - Ivan Johnson, Daytona (GM 1) - SGL, DBL, 2 SB (6), 2 RS.

POS - Debby Santana, Daytona (GM 1) - 2 SGL, 2 RS.

POS - Danny Lantigua, Daytona (GM 1) - 2 DBL, 2 RS.

RP - Vin Timpanelli, Daytona (GM 2) - Pitched one scoreless inning in relief (2 K, 1 H). SV (7).

POS - Brandon Leyton, Daytona (GM 2) - SGL, DBL.
    Every time I read POS I think "Piece of ****" Like why is he calling minor leaguers pieces of ****? Every time.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

16. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-09-2021),JaxRed (07-08-2021),Mitri (07-08-2021),Tom Servo (07-09-2021),UKFlounder (07-09-2021)

Games of Thursday, July 8

A light report today with a pair of rainouts last night, but that doesn't take anything away from the macePOD winner's performance. Francisco Urbaez, Dayton: 4-5, 2B, 3 R. The former FAU Owl's strong season continues as he helped the Dragons to a wild 10-8 win and raised his line to .331/.409/.462.

Other notables:

Wilson Garcia, Chattanooga: 2-3, R

TJ Hopkins, Chattanooga: 2-2, 2B, 2 RBI. Came out in the 5th, but haven't seen a reason reported.

Matt Piddich/Eddy Demurias/Nick Howard, Chattanooga: Scoreless innings each.

Victor Ruiz, Dayton: 2-3, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 BB

Miguel Hernandez, Dayton: 2-4, 3 RBI

Mariel Bautista, Dayton: 2-5, 3B, 3 RBI

Michael Siani, Dayton: 1-3, 2 BB, 2 R

Braxton Roxby, Dayton: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, BB, 4 K
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

18. Likes:

BillDoran (07-09-2021),OGB (07-09-2021),podgejeff_ (07-10-2021),texasdave (07-09-2021),Tom Servo (07-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Every time I read POS I think "Piece of ****" Like why is he calling minor leaguers pieces of ****? Every time.
    Great! Now I'll do it. I don't need any more of that stuff in my life.

Reds undrafted free agent signings of last year are really playing well. Alex McGary, James Proctor, Jacob Hurtubise and Francisco Urbaez.

The Mace Memorial Minor League Player of the Day is: AAA 2B Max Schrock. Schrock went 2-3 in Game I of a doubleheader split, then came back in Game Two and singled in his only plate appearance. All told on the day, Schrock hammered two home runs, knocked in three runs, scored two, and had three hits. That raised his AAA BA over .400 and his OPS over 1.100. That's called getting it done, Reds' fans. For being named the Mace POD, Schrock will not receive a complementary honey ham from from the Honey Baked Ham Company or a Seiko watch from Hyde Park Clothes. The Mace POD is, as always, not brought to you by Stroh's beer and Dad's Root Beer. Congratulations, Max!

Honorable Mention POD for July 9th, a day in which a bunch of baseball was played, but not necessarily played well:

Riley O'Brien, AAA SP: 5 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 4 K

Others of Note:

Danny Lantigua, A- OF: 2-3, HR, R, RBI

Bo Takahashi, AAA SP: 5 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 7 K

Michael (Don't Call Me Jared) Lorenzen AAA RP: 2 IP, 2 K, 1 BB, and 1-1 at the plate with a 1B

Jacob Hurtubise, A+ OF: 2-5, 3B, 1B, R

Quin Cotton, A+ OF: 2-5, RBI

Mitch McGarry, A+ 1B: 2-4, 2B, 1B, 2 RBI, R

Brian Rey, AA 2B: 2-5, 2 1B, R

Lorenzo Cedrola, AA OF: 3-4, R

Wilson Garcia, AA DH: 3-4, 2 RBI, R, 2B

Mark Kolozsvary, AA C: 2-5, 2B, HR, 2 R, 2 RBI

Braxton Lee, AA OF: 2-4, R, RBI, SB

Matt Pidich, AA RP: 2 IP, 3 K
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 07-10-2021 at 01:55 PM.

22. Likes:

OGB (07-10-2021),podgejeff_ (07-12-2021),RedsfaninMT (07-10-2021),SirFelixCat (07-11-2021),texasdave (07-10-2021),Tom Servo (07-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    The Mace Memorial Minor League Player of the Day is: AAA 2B Max Schrock. Schrock went 2-3 in Game I of a doubleheader split, then came back in Game Two and singled in his only plate appearance. All told on the day, Schrock hammered two home runs, knocked in three runs, scored two, and had three hits. That raised his AAA BA over .400 and his OPS over 1.100. That's called getting it done, Reds' fans. For being named the Mace POD, Schrock will not receive a complementary honey ham from from the Honey Baked Ham Company or a Seiko watch from Hyde Park Clothes. The Mace POD is, as always, not brought to you by Stroh's beer and Dad's Root Beer. Congratulations, Max!

Honorable Mention POD for July 9th, a day in which a bunch of baseball was played, but not necessarily played well:

Riley O'Brien, AAA SP: 5 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 4 K

Others of Note:

Danny Lantigua, A- OF: 2-3, HR, R, RBI

Bo Takahashi, AAA SP: 5 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 7 K

Michael (Don't Call Me Jared) Lorenzen AAA RP: 2 IP, 2 K, 1 BB, and 1-1 at the plate with a 1B

Jacob Hurtubise, A+ OF: 2-5, 3B, 1B, R

Quin Cotton, A+ OF: 2-5, RBI

Mitch McGarry, A+ 1B: 2-4, 2B, 1B, 2 RBI, R

Brian Rey, AA 2B: 2-5, 2 1B, R

Lorenzo Cedrola, AA OF: 3-4, R

Wilson Garcia, AA DH: 3-4, 2 RBI, R, 2B

Mark Kolozsvary, AA C: 2-5, 2B, HR, 2 R, 2 RBI

Braxton Lee, AA OF: 2-4, R, RBI, SB

Matt Pidich, AA RP: 2 IP, 3 K
    In my years of contributing to the Mace POD, I never thought of including what winners would (not) win. I applaud your creativity!

24. Likes:

SirFelixCat (07-11-2021)

Turn Off Ads?