Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What is going on with the Giants' pitchers?

What is going on with the Giants' pitchers?

when did kevin gausmann become one of the best pitchers in all of baseball? i missed that one. wasn't he mediocre at best during his short stint in cincy? wasn't he awful with the braves? and now he's suddenly great? hmm.

if it was just him, i might chalk it up to a jake arrieta-type situation where things just click for a pitcher somewhat late in his career after getting kicked around early in his career and looking like a journeyman at best. however...

disco is pitching like an all-star. i mean, disco never sucked, but he was never close to being this good.

and alex "glass joe" wood isn't only healthy, he's pitching great.

before injuring his midsection, johnny cueto had the best 4-start stretch of his career since probably 2015.

what's in the balco in san fran? i mean the water. what's in the water there with their pitchers? do they have the best pitching coach ever? i don't get it. gausmann is the biggest head-scratcher for me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What is going on with the Giants' pitchers?

Don't know the answer, but like everything else this time of year, I'll say it's May 4th. Check back in six weeks and see if it's still like this.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-20-2021),traderumor (05-04-2021)

Still early, I follow the Giants and the tv and radio crews are also surprised at that success, they talk a lot about Gausman's mechanics, 38% of their games have been against the Marlins and Rockies (9-4) so I'd wait and see.

This article covers his rise

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/20...-kevin-gausman

6. Likes:

JFLegal (05-04-2021)

Giants are second in MLB in team ERA. But they are not as good in some of the predictive stats. They are thirteenth in MLB in SIERA, for example. They have third lowest pitching BABIP. They have the second biggest FIP-ERA gap among teams whose ERA is lower than FIP.

Also Giants have not played in some of the “cozier” or higher scoring stadiums, Philadelphia being an exception.

So let’s give it another month and see.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-04-2021 at 02:15 PM.

Gausman was actually pretty effective during his time here -- 11.7 K/9, 5.8 K:BB ratio, solid ground ball rate. His SIERA (a FIP like metric that controls for batted ball quality) was 2.89. I was a bit disappointed we didn't retain him.

Their starters have been very good collectively, but they've been unreasonably and likely unsustainably stingy with HRs. Part of that is being an extreme GB staff. But their HR/FB rate is also very low and those tend to be negatively correlated, if at all. Their SP SIERA is 3.74
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 05-04-2021 at 02:16 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-04-2021),HokieRed (05-20-2021),Tom Servo (05-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Gausman was actually pretty effective during his time here -- 11.7 K/9, 5.8 K:BB ratio, solid ground ball rate. His SIERA (a FIP like metric that controls for batted ball quality) was 2.89. I was a bit disappointed we didn't retain him.
    It would have taken a $17M offer to keep him, if I remember correctly. Once a free agent, he signed for $9M. He also was a reliever as a Red, and no one was sure if he would be an effective starter again.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It would have taken a $17M offer to keep him, if I remember correctly. Once a free agent, he signed for $9M. He also was a reliever as a Red, and no one was sure if he would be an effective starter again.
    didn't the reds have an option they turned down for way less than $17M?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    didn't the reds have an option they turned down for way less than $17M?
    You are correct. I thought he was going go be a free agent, but it was his last year of arbitration. He was likely going to get $10M in arbitration, so they non-tendered him.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Less than an hour before the start of a doubleheader against the Rockies on Tuesday, the Giants made a surprise roster move by placing Kevin Gausman on the Injured List and recalling catcher Joey Bart.
    https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/05/...all-joey-bart/

^^^I was gonna say, health^^^

They signed bunch of guys, beginning with Cueto and including Wood/Disco, who can be pretty good when healthy. I don’t see it lasting forever. But they are a fun team to root for out west.

15. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-04-2021)

The Giants are an old team, oldest in MLB, it’s going to look different in July is my guess

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-05-2021),Ron Madden (05-04-2021)

so, not really a small sample size any longer. 1/4th of the way through the season. did balco open back up again? what the hell is going on here?

Turn Off Ads?