Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Angel Hernandez Says He Basically Guessed

Angel Hernandez Says He Basically Guessed

Hasn't guessing been Hernandez's secret sauce most of his career?

"Hernandez continued, and surprisingly admitted that because he was "blinded," he just took a guess as to what happened."

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/u...leveland-game/

2. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (05-07-2021),Chip R (05-05-2021),Ron Madden (05-05-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Angel Hernandez Says He Basically Guessed

And this is different all of his other calls how?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

5. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (05-07-2021),Chip R (05-05-2021),elrojo (05-06-2021),Ron Madden (05-05-2021)

I have no idea what they are taught (sometimes I wonder if it's anything at all) but it seems like it makes much more sense (like a borderline fumble in football) to let it play out as if it wasn't caught as it is much easier to put the runners back rather than the stupid crap he did instead.

7. Likes:

bm1475 (05-05-2021),Ron Madden (05-05-2021)

MLB should be embarrassed by Angel Hernandez and the rest of the terrible umps
    If you’ve been watching baseball this season then you know one thing is very, and sadly, true – the umpires have been pretty dreadful. Like, really dreadful.

The latest frustrating moment came Wednesday night in Kansas City when Angel Hernandez, who just should never be allowed behind the plate, had a doozy of an inning that saw two ejections for the Royals

The fact that everybody knows Angel Hernandez’s name is a problem to begin with. Nobody knows the names of the good umps, only the bad, and Angel Hernandez is definitely bad.

Last night in Kansas City he ruled that Jose Ramirez was hit by a pitch when replays made it look like he wasn’t hit by the ball but then the call somehow stood after an official review. Hernandez later correctly called a balk on the Royals, but the inning got away from them partly because of Hernandez.

Oh, and this came just a day after Hernandez admitted he basically guessed on a call after losing a ball in the lights.Hernandez hasn’t been alone in the “bad ump” category this season. Far from it.
    Read more
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...cid=uxbndlbing

Makes you wonder if his recent effort to sue MLB was a preemptive strike to keep him from being fired.

10. Likes:

Big Klu (05-06-2021),REDREAD (05-06-2021),Ron Madden (05-06-2021)

The line in the article that really hits it on the head is "the fact that everybody knows Angel Hernandez’s name is a problem to begin with"

12. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (05-07-2021),REDREAD (05-06-2021),Ron Madden (05-06-2021),Slyder (05-06-2021)

MLB needs to break the umpire's union.
    The bad umps need to be fired and replaced.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

There are umps at high school games better than Hernandez and half the umps in the majors. I have been watching baseball for 47 years. I am sure some here for longer than that.
    It is the worst I have ever saw it. Gets worse every season it seems. When I started watching Umps were not nearly this bad.
    Maybe on balls and strikes it is the increase of the speed on pitches that make it harder to call. Robo umps needed badly at least on balls and strikes.

15. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    There are umps at high school games better than Hernandez and half the umps in the majors. I have been watching baseball for 47 years. I am sure some here for longer than that.
    It is the worst I have ever saw it. Gets worse every season it seems. When I started watching Umps were not nearly this bad.
    Maybe on balls and strikes it is the increase of the speed on pitches that make it harder to call. Robo umps needed badly at least on balls and strikes.
    I'm 67 yrs old, been watching major league baseball on TV and live in person as long as I can remember. I agree 100% MLB Umpires have been getting worse every year at doing their jobs.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 05-06-2021 at 03:56 PM.

17. Likes:

KeefeCato (05-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Two that I have seen from the past who were worse or about the same was Ron Pallone and Art Williams. Pallone was a replacement umpire who MLB kept around to stick it to the union umpires. He was flat out awful and wasn't even worthy of being a minor league umpire.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

19. Likes:

KeefeCato (05-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I'm 67 yrs old, been watching major league baseball live and in person as long as I can remember. I agree 100% MLB Umpires have been getting worse every year at doing their jobs.
    If only we had a way to get it right 99.99% of the time by automating the balls and strikes.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

21. Likes:

757690 (05-06-2021),CarolinaRedleg (05-07-2021),KeefeCato (05-06-2021),REDREAD (05-07-2021),Ron Madden (05-06-2021)

Admitting such a thing should be grounds for termination
    Go Gators!

23. Likes:

REDREAD (05-07-2021)

many are low quality, but Angel is the worst by a decent margin in my opinion.....especially behind the plate.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?