Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Major league games you saw in person that didn't involve the Reds.

Major league games you saw in person that didn't involve the Reds.

I have only been to three. Rockies vs. Pirates Tampa vs. Toronto and Cleveland vs Angels.
    Best thing I saw was Ohtani hit two long HR against Cleveland. Checked out the game as I was at the national sports card show that weekend.
    The other two games we kind of Blah. Toronto had just came off of a sweep of the Yankees and was playing last place Rays. Needed to win to stay in the race. Lost 3 of 4 in the series. This was Sept 2000.
    I don't remember anything about Rocks-Bucs game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Major league games you saw in person that didn't involve the Reds.

I've been to non-Reds games in Houston, Arlington, Philadelphia, Chicago (Wrigley), Denver, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, St Louis, San Francisco and St Pete. For me, it's generally more about checking out new ballparks when I'm in the area rather than the game itself.

Most interesting non-Reds game I saw was probably Astros vs. Braves in 1994 at the Astrodome. Braves had led the whole way, but Astros rallied in the 9th and won it on an error by ex-Red Roberto Kelly.

Baseball means warmth Joeyjection19's Avatar

Among others games, I was at Tyler Skaggs' last start in Anaheim before the road trip. That one sits in an odd spot in my memory.

Arizona at Cleveland
    Minnesota at Cleveland
    Chicago White Sox at Detroit (at Tiger Stadium)
    Boston at Cleveland (ALDS)
    Seattle at Cleveland
    Detroit at Cleveland
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I've seen far more non-Reds' games than Reds' games. Sad, but true.

I did see Josh Hamilton crush a walk-off bomb for the Rangers'. The place erupted!

7. Likes:

RedsfaninMT (05-08-2021),Tom Servo (05-05-2021),westofyou (05-06-2021)

Saw...

Red Sox v Dbacks at Fenway
    Padres v Expos at Old Qualcomm Stadium
    White Sox v Orioles at New Comiskey
    Cubs v several teams at Wrigley
    Angels v Tigers at Angels Stadium
    Brewers v Blue Jays at Miller Park
    Braves v Blue Jays at Turner Field
    Phillies v Dodgers at Citizens Bank Park
    Tigers v several teams at Old Tiger Stadium
    Indians v A's at Jacobs Field
    Cardinals v Pirates at Busch Stadium II
    Twins v Tigers at Target Field
    Giants v Twins at AT&T Park
    Marlins v Cubs at Pro Player Stadium

Wow...more than i thought

9. Likes:

muddie (05-08-2021),Roy Tucker (05-06-2021)

I can't name them all. I remember an Angels vs. Tigers game in Detroit because Devon White was on my fantasy team and I think he K'd 5 times in that game. I've seen other games not involving the Reds at Wrigley field, Commisky Park, Milwaukee County Stadium, The Astrodome, Busch Stadium, Coors Field, The Dome in Toronto I don't remember what it was called (the Sky Dome?) and in Kansas City.

What I remember most was:

The game in KC was in George Brett's last season and I wanted to see him play live. He wasn't in the line-up, but he pinch hit late in the game and grounded out.

One game in Toronto was right after Raul Mondesi signed there. We had good seats near home plate and Mondesi looked like the biggest dude I ever saw. I didn't remember him being like that in LA.

Maybe the game I remember most was the Dodgers vs. Expos in Olympic Stadium in Montreal. Chan Ho Park was pitching for LA and probably 75% of the crowd was there to see him. They, mostly young ladies, screamed for him like he was Elvis in 1957 or something. Every time he moved, they screamed. Guessing Chan Ho had a good night after the game. Other than that, it may have been the most boring game ever.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I was randomly at the Mariners/Yankees game on July 31, 1998, the night Randy Johnson was traded away by the Mariners. An old buddy of mine from high school was getting out of the Navy and was stationed in Puget Sound, and he'd decided to drive cross country with his stuff rather than fly home and have the Navy ship his gear back to West Virginia, where his parents lived. I agreed to fly out from Virginia and ride back with him as a road trip (when I was young and single). A bunch of his buddies had tickets to the game, so we went into Seattle, had some beers, and went to the game. I remember the Jumbotron in the Kingdome showing the Mariners' dugout as someone came out and talked to Johnson, after which he gathered his stuff and left. The Mariners' fans started losing their minds.

I was thrilled to see Junior, of course, but looking at the box score just now, that was a pretty impressive lineup. A lot of Hall of Famers that night, but it's the Johnson trade that really stuck with me over the years.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...99807310.shtml
    Last edited by wpenn4; 05-05-2021 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Added the link to the box score

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I've seen a few different teams play the Washington Nationals. A few years ago I saw the Athletics and Angels play, specifically so I can say I saw Mike Trout in person. Years ago saw the Orioles and Yankees play. There might have been more, but I can't remember.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Mariners at White Sox, around 1996-1998
    Mets at Yankees, 2004
    Twins at White Sox 2009 ish
    Pirates at Cubs, 2012
    Rays? at Mariners, 2013ish

That’s what I can think of so far.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Mets @ Cards Tuesday.

Missed the 1st half inning when the Mets didn't score. Left at the Bottom of the 4th when it was 6-5 Cardinals and it was taking too long. Nobody scored the rest of the game.

Other than that, about a hundred other games from SF, OAK, SD, SEA.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Anaheim at Seattle. I got to see Mike Trout play and it started drizzling in the 2nd inning and they closed the roof, which was pretty cool to see. It took about 2 minutes tops.

Also saw LAD at Shea when I was on a college trip visiting St. John's University. It was early April and bitterly cold and that stadium was terrible.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

I've seen many O's games at both Memorial on 33rd St and Camden Yards. Many fond memories of the annual guys trip to Camden for a weekday Businessman's special in the 90s. Also several Nats games in recent years.

But 2 trips stand out. One was to the Vet to see Cubs-Phils. Got to see Harry Caray. And Mike Schmidt hit a homer. Fun day.

The best trip though was one to Wrigley with a couple of friends from high school in August, 1989. One of my best friends is a huge Cubs fan and invited me to go. I wanted to see Wrigley so I jumped at the chance. Game was against Expos and the Cubs had just overtaken them for 1st place the night before. Our seats were right at the left field foul pole. Close game when Sandberg hit one down the left field line that we all watched as it narrowly curved inside the foul pole. Our group got to be the first ones to demonstratively wave our arms "fair ball". Great moment that still gives me chills because of the joy on my best friend's face when it happened. Trip I'll never forget.

I've been to quite a few Nationals games. I had a mini season ticket plan for a couple of seasons. Also been to Camden Yards to see the Orioles a few times in the 90's.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Went to a lot of SFG games when I lived there. Terrific ballpark that even members of my family loved to go to that didn't even like baseball. Food was awesome and atmosphere was great. Probably the best ballpark I've ever been to. On the other hand Oakland Coliseum has easily got to be the worst stadium across all major US sports sadly..

19. Likes:

adampad (05-06-2021)

Turn Off Ads?