Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Major league games you saw in person that didn't involve the Reds.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: Major league games you saw in person that didn't involve the Reds.

Sadly, I have been to more Cubs games than Reds games. I have also been to more White Sox games than Reds games.

I would say the most memorable game was Friday, July 21st, 1989. Cubs vs. Giants. SF 4- Chi 3. Only time I saw Andre Dawson play in person. Of course the Cubs and Giants played for the NL Pennant later on that year.

I also saw the Cubs/Mets in 1983 to specifically see Tom Seaver pitch.

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly, I have been to more Cubs games than Reds games. I have also been to more White Sox games than Reds games.

I would say the most memorable game was Friday, July 21st, 1989. Cubs vs. Giants. SF 4- Chi 3. Only time I saw Andre Dawson play in person. Of course the Cubs and Giants played for the NL Pennant later on that year.

I also saw the Cubs/Mets in 1983 to specifically see Tom Seaver pitch.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    I've seen far more non-Reds' games than Reds' games. Sad, but true.

I did see Josh Hamilton crush a walk-off bomb for the Rangers'. The place erupted!
    This... I haven’t lived in the Midwest in forty years

Love checking out other stadiums. Hoping to hit a few new ones soon. I've got to go to Wrigley and Fenway eventually. Was planning on going to Cleveland and then to Pittsburgh next week to watch the Reds, but I don't I'm going to be able to due to some work now.

Yankees vs Blue Jays in 96 at old Yankee Stadium. Got Jeter's autograph his rookie year!
    Mets vs Marlins at Old Shea Stadium - Devon White put on a show.
    Braves vs Reds at the Olympic Stadium (caught a batting practice homer and Reds won) All the Braves fans were incredibly friendly and nice.
    Giants vs don't remember at Pac Bell (beautiful park). Carlos Beltran hit one in the water right over my head.
    A's vs somebody at the crappiest park of all. Bought cheap seats way up top in the outfield, eventually tried to move down since no one was at the game but staff wasn't having it. Overall worst MLB experience.
    Tampa Bay vs Mets (didn't hate their park like most, but I had great seats. My daughter and her friend got put on the jumbotron, lol)

and not MLB but... The congressional baseball game at Nationals Park. This is a great park too.

5. Likes:

goreds2 (05-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by adampad View Post
    Love checking out other stadiums. Hoping to hit a few new ones soon. I've got to go to Wrigley and Fenway eventually.
    Wrigley is awesome but I hated Fenway park for some reason.

Been to quite a few MLB stadiums. I tried to make business travel coincide with games

I’ve seen games in Fenway (many games here), Camden Yards, old Cleveland Municipal (Indians and Browns), whatever the new White Sox stadium is called, Tropicana in Tampa (a dump), Metrodome in Minneapolis (saw them play the Reds), the old old Texas Rangers stadium (Arlington?), Braves (Atlanta-Fulton Co. and TurnerField), RFK in DC, County Stadium in Milwaukee, Wrigley, Candlestick, and Dodger Stadium.

Retiring this year and have talked the spousal unit into hitting up away games next year in at least Pittsburg and St Louis.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

8. Likes:

goreds2 (05-08-2021),KittyDuran (05-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Been to quite a few MLB stadiums. I tried to make business travel coincide with games

IÂ’ve seen games in Fenway (many games here), Camden Yards, old Cleveland Municipal (Indians and Browns), whatever the new White Sox stadium is called, Tropicana in Tampa (a dump), Metrodome in Minneapolis (saw them play the Reds), the old old Texas Rangers stadium (Arlington?), Braves (Atlanta-Fulton Co. and TurnerField), RFK in DC, County Stadium in Milwaukee, Wrigley, Candlestick, and Dodger Stadium.

Retiring this year and have talked the spousal unit into hitting up away games next year in at least Pittsburg and St Louis.

Was on the same plan for years Roy, always tried to travel for business when the home team was in town or Reds were in that town.

Man, Old Cleveland Stadium...cant believe I forgot about that one when I was making my list.

Saw an Indians v Red Sox game there in the early 90's, memorable for 3 reasons.

1. I always got to a stadium I'd never been too before really early so I could walk every inch of it. Well during my self-tour I was coming up on a random concession and standing at the counter were only 2 people.... John Valentin and Tony Pena (In full uniform) ordering boxes of food. So I had to ask and they said this was common in Cleveland because the were no pregame spreads in the visitors clubhouse.

2. Closest I ever came to suing a MLB club was that night as I was sitting in a section by myself (only maybe 5000 people there) and all the sudden I was down on the ground engulfed by multi-colored fur. Slider (Indians mascot) basically tackled me from behind and knocked me out of my seat. So Im screaming at the guy with a bump on my head from the seat in front of me, and my legs covered in the gunk that was Cleveland Stadium. He apologized claiming he thought I saw what he was getting ready to do in advance. Still none too happy was I.

3. So as a result of that a customer relations person meets me at my seat, apologizing profusely and asking what they can do to make amends. I had noticed earlier that they had a booth on the media level of the stadium where a person could record/ do an inning of play by play (as a souvenir) for like 75.00. So thats what I started with. So for the 8th inning Im calling the game, which was awesome because Carlos Baerga hit a grand slam off of Jeff Reardon to win the game.

For years Cleveland media pointed to that moment in the game as what set the Indians on their run thru the mid nineties....and I called it.

Wish I still had that tape......oh and I got a ton of Indians gear too as a result of Slider-Gate

10. Likes:

goreds2 (05-08-2021),Roy Tucker (05-06-2021)

Mariners at Brewers in County Stadium on July 31, 1997. Last year the Brewers were in the AL. I was excited for the game to see Junior play in person for the first time. He hit a double, as I recall.

Twins versus Cubs at Wrigley. June 16, 2001. Sosa went deep twice. I remember the Cubs hitting quite a few more out that day as well.

A couple of Pirates games at PNC against non-Reds opponents. Honestly do not even remember who they played either time (I've seen the Reds play there as well). One of them may have been the Brewers. PNC is an amazing ballpark. Easily my favorite that I've been to, old stadiums or new.

Also saw a game in San Diego in the mid 1980's. It just happened to be the Reds were in town when I was out there.

Been to Chase Field in Arizona, but not for a ballgame.

12. Likes:

goreds2 (05-08-2021)

9: 4 White Sox, 2 Brewers, 2 Indians, 1 Braves (2017 first year of SunTrust)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    9: 4 White Sox, 2 Brewers, 2 Indians, 1 Braves (2017 first year of SunTrust)

I like to go to Chicago so if the White Sox are in town I try to go to a day game.

2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

15. Likes:

goreds2 (05-08-2021),westofyou (05-08-2021)

Not as many as I’d like, I’ve always had a desire to see every other park at least once, but hopefully I’ll get there one day.

We visited Miami in 2015 during our honeymoon. Saw two games between the Marlins and Brewers. I loved being able to sit comfortably in air conditioning on a hot summer day but it also weirded me out just how empty that brand spanking new stadium was. I gave Ryan Braun some grief as he ran by and was not expecting the “steroids...eroids...eroids...” to reverberate the way it did.

Also in 2015, we swung by Tampa for two games as well. Stadium is indeed a dump, but we saw David Ortiz hit his 500th career home run. That was really really cool to be a part of.

We’ve got tentative plans to perhaps drive up to Cleveland for a game this summer, and a family member recently moved to Milwaukee so we’re dabbling with the idea of visiting for a weekend and taking in at least one Brewers game, ideally against The Reds if possible but I’d be fine if not. Sometimes it’s less stressful that way.
    Last edited by The Operator; 05-08-2021 at 10:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Twice.
    Wrigley Field. Cubs played the Pirates I think. Some time in 1996.

Tigers Stadium, the last year they played there. Can't recall who they played.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Been to a lot of Rays games. A few teams I can remember are the Angels, Indians, Red Sox, Twins and Yankees.

In the right field bleachers at Fenway in 1971, Carl Yastrzemski was struggling with an injury
    and doing poorly at the plate. Every time Yaz came to bat some leather-lunged oaf behind me
    hollered out, "Ya bum, ya bum." I had to wonder whether that behavior would have occurred
    in Cincinnati if, say, Bench had been in a slump.

Quote Originally Posted by elrojo View Post
    In the right field bleachers at Fenway in 1971, Carl Yastrzemski was struggling with an injury
    and doing poorly at the plate. Every time Yaz came to bat some leather-lunged oaf behind me
    hollered out, "Ya bum, ya bum." I had to wonder whether that behavior would have occurred
    in Cincinnati if, say, Bench had been in a slump.
    Yes, 1976 was brutal for Bench and he was booed.

here's a quote from Oester in 2001 about Perez

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 102
Size:  35.9 KB

Angels at Mariners in 2002. Ichiro-mania was in full swing, and I came away very impressed.

We were at UW and going through in-vitro to no success. My wife suggested I go to a ballgame. I sat in the 4th row behind home plate and was greeted by all the season ticket holders. I was told I HAD to gamble with the others. We numbered peanuts 1-9 and the number you drew was the slot in the lineup you drew. I had the 7 spot for the Angels and 9 spot for the Mariners. I got soundly teased that my luck was as bad as Hank's, the season ticket holder who'd given up his ticket. Every total base you got meant the others had to pich in $5. I thought I was gonna go broke. Ended up winning $80, plus paid for my ticket. They told me not to come back. I only recall Chone Figgins going 4-5 with HR, 2B, and 3B.

Great stadium to see a game.
    Last edited by RedsfaninMT; 05-08-2021 at 01:52 PM.

22. Likes:

Roy Tucker (05-13-2021),The Operator (05-08-2021)

Turn Off Ads?