Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Joey Votto broken thumb

Re: Joey Votto broken thumb

Was Votto's struggles to hit his weight really THAT big of an issue... I think it extends Naquin's MLB Service time a month or so, and opens a roster spot for Shogo

2. Likes:

DocRed (05-06-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    So far the pitching has been a major problem area, I agree. But that doesn't mean it is a major problem area going forward. There are definitely places the Reds should look to improve but the current staff isn't going to stop a good offense from being a playoff team. Let's look at the staff we currently have:

Starters:
    Castillo - struggled early, velo was back last start, the Reds have to expect him to round back into form, if he doesn't the teams chances are slim anyway.
    Gray - looking the best he ever has the past two starts
    Mahle - might be breaking out, but if not, no reason to expect anything worse than a 3.50 ERA
    Miley - doing what Miley does
    Hoffman - looks like he is still a pumpkin, spot needs addressing soon

Bullpen:
    Garrett: struggled bad early, rounding into form, 2 base runners in last 3.2 IP
    Sims: has had a couple rough outings, but should be a quality option going forward
    Antone: has been a stud and should continue to be
    Doolittle: been effective in middle relief, need to limit exposure to RHB
    Hembree: early returns have been great, should be an effective middle reliever going forward like he was from 2016-2019
    Hendrix: he's been effective but too soon to tell
    Fulmer: been decent enough to continue filling low leverage innings
    Romano: next on the DFA list
    Perez: spot to address if he remains wild

The Reds have churned Bedrosian and De Leon who are responsible for 24 earned runs in 24 innings. They've added Hembree who looks like a fine option. Hendrix is still TBD. But those changes alone improve the team ERA tremendously. You can toss out Sal's innings because they are meaningless mop up work. Some conservative mean reversion for Miley, Castillo, Sims, and Garrett to say a 4 ERA for each and suddenly the Reds are looking like a 4.00 ERA team. Which would put them about mid-pack. Certainly an area to improve upon, but not the bottom tier staff we have seen.
    1. Doing well - Mahle, Gray, Miley, Antone, Sims.

2. Look fine, but too soon - Hendrix, Hembree.

3. Disappointing so far - Castillo, Garrett.

4. Need improvement - Doolittle (not yet back to late inning reliable), Fulmer (not yet a role in winning games), Perez, Romano, Hoffman.

Some may be ok with this, not me, still relatively early in the season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-06-2021 at 04:28 PM.

5. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (05-07-2021),Mitri (05-06-2021),REDREAD (05-06-2021)

Ok. I’ll say it. Sign Pujols.

Super bummed by this, I was wanting to see what he could do numbers-wise, as he was hitting the ball so hard.

That said, the Reds shouldn't have that much trouble replacing his bat in the lineup considering the results just weren't there yet, if they were ever going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Super bummed by this, I was wanting to see what he could do numbers-wise, as he was hitting the ball so hard.

That said, the Reds shouldn't have that much trouble replacing his bat in the lineup considering the results just weren't there yet, if they were ever going to be.
    In his last 19 games he has had a .898 OPS. I think they'll miss that.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Ok. I’ll say it. Sign Pujols.
    I wouldn't do it but If Walt was still Reds GM he would.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 05-06-2021 at 04:48 PM.

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-06-2021)

This guy is hilarious, his tweets crack me up.
    Capt. Joseph Daniel Votto
    @CaptJosephVotto
    Dearest Mother—
    A shot fired from the musket of Sgt Winker pushed us to victory late in battle this Sonny afternoon. The army of men in white socks may have bested us yesterday, but today we outmaneuvered their attacks. We now travel north to resume battle with the tribe.
    —Joseph
    Capt. Joseph Daniel Votto
    @CaptJosephVotto
    Dearest Mother —
    I was struck by an opponent’s musket yesterday, injuring my finger. I will be sidelined from battle until further notice. I wish to fight with my men, but I know The Queen City is behind me as I recover. I am confident the brigade will do well without me.
    —Joseph

12. Likes:

M2 (05-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Used to be similar posts re Andrew Luck. Terrific.

If Reds signed Pujois, Reds first base would be one expensive position: Votto and Pujois.

Of course, Reds wouldn’t be paying Pujois’ portion.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-06-2021 at 04:46 PM.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-06-2021),Ron Madden (05-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    It's a copy of this guy: https://twitter.com/captandrewluck?lang=en

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-06-2021),Ron Madden (05-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Used to do similar posts re Andrew Luck. Terrific.

If Reds signed Pujois, Reds first base would be one expensive position: Votto and Pujois.

Of course, Reds wouldn’t be paying Pujois’ portion.
    Is it the same guy though? I feel like the Luck character was a little bit more acute.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Is it the same guy though? I feel like the Luck character was a little bit more acute.
    How dare you not think Joey Votto is cute. He's incredibly handsome-- especially for a Canadian...

Oh, wait. I read that wrong.

Okay, then. Carry on.

Used to be similar posts re Andrew Luck. Terrific.
    those were the best...

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I wish the Reds would hurry up and put Joey on the IL. I am in a 40 man roster 8 team NL only fantasy league. Slim pickings in the free agent pool but I would like to add someone to replace him. I am currently in a tie for first place. Have Moose, Casty, Votto, Suarez, Antone, Castillo and Mahle all on my team.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (05-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    I wish the Reds would hurry up and put Joey on the IL. I am in a 40 man roster 8 team NL only fantasy league. Slim pickings in the free agent pool but I would like to add someone to replace him. I am currently in a tie for first place. Have Moose, Casty, Votto, Suarez, Antone, Castillo and Mahle all on my team.
    What make you think the Reds will IL him? He will only be out a month, they can play short for a day or 30.

23. Likes:

Shoeless Jeff (05-07-2021)

Here’s an idea for Story. Reds trade Suarez for Story straight up or with second tier prospects. Reds contribute $20 million toward Geno’s contract.

Sounds nuts? Maybe it is. (LOL, probably is.)

Let’s round off the obligation to Suarez to $40 million over time. Say Reds take on Story ($12 million for 2/3 season) and pay for half the Suarez deal.

Reds would be responsible for $32 million total, but still save about $8 million in aggregate money. Rockies would be getting Suarez for a mere $20 million over 3 1/2 seasons. A relatively modest gamble that could pay off.

Reds get a top shortstop for this season. Rockies get rid of Story and his salary and take the modest gamble buying a good player at a low point.
    Should be easier to hit 50 at a mile high, right?

32M for a partial season of a SS is just a terrible investment and risk.

If it were for a deGrom or Bauer and could provide instant ace status, then maybe. That is what give a team a chance in the playoffs.

Turn Off Ads?