Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Joey Votto broken thumb

Re: Joey Votto broken thumb

The Reds trading any of there prospects for a few months of Story or any other free agent to be is hopefully not going to happen. It would be a huge mistake.
    This team needs to stockpile prospects not trade them away.

2. Likes:

JaxRed (05-06-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    He won't like it, but I'd like to see Winker at 1B, as that frees up a regular spot for Shogo without having to move things around otherwise. I'd also be fine with Stephenson stepping in somewhat regularly, depending on need.

But we have enough guys deserving of PA, that I wouldn't want to see them go out and get somebody who is quite likely no better than the options we already have.
    I'd think Castellanos would be the more natural fit at 1B. He's handled grounders on a regular basis and made infield throws. Way less learning curve for him. Though I think Senzel already getting some time at 2B tipped their hand on this. I expect Nick to play the IF for the time being with Moose shifting to 1B.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Castillo gets right (as Sonny seems to have done) and they've got a pretty strong rotation. They can figure out a 5th guy, and if Hunter Greene is going to keep throwing 106 we should probably assume he's coming sooner rather than later. There's going to be some sort of surge coming out of the minors. Can't say how big or how soon, but expect some new names in the conversation.

And I've always thought this Reds team can contend. Still do. Grabbing a pitcher or two along the way certainly would help in that effort.
    I feel the way about the pitching staff as I did heading into the season. No problem with the four top starters. No problem with Gray, Antone and Garrett in the pen. That’s seven of 13 or 14 pitchers.

I don’t need them to get a top ace or great closer. I’m not looking to improve at the top of the staff. That would be tough at this stage.

But they need to improve most of the depth spots to league average, bring up the quality of the lower half. Maybe Hembree and Hendrix are a start. Can’t fall too far behind, so hopefully soon.

6. Likes:

mth123 (05-06-2021)

I'd think Castellanos would be the more natural fit at 1B. He's handled grounders on a regular basis and made infield throws. Way less learning curve for him. Though I think Senzel already getting some time at 2B tipped their hand on this. I expect Nick to play the IF for the time being with Moose shifting to 1B.
    Senzel had a rep in the minors as a fantastic fielder at both third and second, so this seems the most plausible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    The Reds trading any of there prospects for a few months of Story or any other free agent to be is hopefully not going to happen. It would be a huge mistake.
    This team needs to stockpile prospects not trade them away.
    Obviously everything depends on the price, but if the Reds were willing to take Story's remaining contract (and they should be even though they probably aren't) then trade return for Story probably wouldn't be all that high. Upon reflection, I overshot the estimation of what it would take to get him. A package of non-elite prospects should do the trick. From a baseball standpoint, you pay that price with a smile.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

Mitri (05-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I will say, Cast and Winker and etc might come back down to earth, but it’s also possible that Suarez starts to hit as normal as he’s shown some capacity for lately, Senzel continues to develop some consistency, if they played Stephenson at first more often instead of Farmer and Blandino, he can probably do a decent job of replicating Votto’s production.

I think they actually have decent enough pieces on the roster to fill in at 1B for a month or so.
    There is certainly some room for others like you mentioned to zig while the others zag. I'm just not sure if Stephenson is a realistic option at 1st. He likely has enough going on as a rookie catcher in the big leagues, Castellanos is probably the likeliest in-house option since he has played infield before. I'm a little concerned we might see a solid month or so (not simply because of Votto's absence) of a struggling offense that really hampers us. I agree they should be able to make it work in-house, I just have this suspicion it will be Farmer getting a majority of the AB's if we don't get an outside option. It would also be a great chance to get Castellanos some time at first because big paycheck or not, it is time to start platooning Votto against LHP.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Obviously everything depends on the price, but if the Reds were willing to take Story's remaining contract (and they should be even though they probably aren't) then trade return for Story probably wouldn't be all that high. Upon reflection, I overshot the estimation of what it would take to get him. A package of non-elite prospects should do the trick. From a baseball standpoint, you pay that price with a smile.
    Here’s an idea for Story. Reds trade Suarez for Story straight up or with second tier prospects. Reds contribute $20 million toward Geno’s contract.

Sounds nuts? Maybe it is. (LOL, probably is.)

Let’s round off the obligation to Suarez to $40 million over time. Say Reds take on Story ($12 million for 2/3 season) and pay for half the Suarez deal.

Reds would be responsible for $32 million total, but still save about $8 million in aggregate money. Rockies would be getting Suarez for a mere $20 million over 3 1/2 seasons. A relatively modest gamble that could pay off.

Reds get a top shortstop for this season. Rockies get rid of Story and his salary and take the modest gamble buying a good player at a low point.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-06-2021 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    We’ll have to agree to disagree. If you have pitching you have a chance. And while any area of the team can decline from its current level - the pitching is already a major problem area this season. With limited money and probabiy limited willingness to trade players with value, seems evident what the priority should be.
    So far the pitching has been a major problem area, I agree. But that doesn't mean it is a major problem area going forward. There are definitely places the Reds should look to improve but the current staff isn't going to stop a good offense from being a playoff team. Let's look at the staff we currently have:

Starters:
    Castillo - struggled early, velo was back last start, the Reds have to expect him to round back into form, if he doesn't the teams chances are slim anyway.
    Gray - looking the best he ever has the past two starts
    Mahle - might be breaking out, but if not, no reason to expect anything worse than a 3.50 ERA
    Miley - doing what Miley does
    Hoffman - looks like he is still a pumpkin, spot needs addressing soon

Bullpen:
    Garrett: struggled bad early, rounding into form, 2 base runners in last 3.2 IP
    Sims: has had a couple rough outings, but should be a quality option going forward
    Antone: has been a stud and should continue to be
    Doolittle: been effective in middle relief, need to limit exposure to RHB
    Hembree: early returns have been great, should be an effective middle reliever going forward like he was from 2016-2019
    Hendrix: he's been effective but too soon to tell
    Fulmer: been decent enough to continue filling low leverage innings
    Romano: next on the DFA list
    Perez: spot to address if he remains wild

The Reds have churned Bedrosian and De Leon who are responsible for 24 earned runs in 24 innings. They've added Hembree who looks like a fine option. Hendrix is still TBD. But those changes alone improve the team ERA tremendously. You can toss out Sal's innings because they are meaningless mop up work. Some conservative mean reversion for Miley, Castillo, Sims, and Garrett to say a 4 ERA for each and suddenly the Reds are looking like a 4.00 ERA team. Which would put them about mid-pack. Certainly an area to improve upon, but not the bottom tier staff we have seen.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

13. Likes:

malcontent (05-06-2021),Ron Madden (05-06-2021)

Pujols being released. There's our 1b for the next month.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Normally I would really laugh at the suggestion, but Pujols has been like Votto this year in that he has hit the ball hard, with poor results. Don't think it would be a good move to make but wouldn't be the worst momentarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Normally I would really laugh at the suggestion, but Pujols has been like Votto this year in that he has hit the ball hard, with poor results. Don't think it would be a good move to make but wouldn't be the worst momentarily.
    This would be worth doing just to get under the Cards’ skins. Not sure they’d care. But they might.

Sure, would be fun.

17. Likes:

Griffey012 (05-06-2021)

Please no. Don't wanna see that ROIDED SHYTOLS anywhere near the Reds dugout.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Lets go.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

20. Likes:

jwdoc77 (05-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    From where I sit the Reds have two pretty big holes to fill in on the pitching side. They need a better 5th starter (pushing Hoffman to long-relief) and they need another hammer in the bullpen. I'm glad you're confident it'll all just magically be resolved in-house, and I hope you are right, but I wouldn't be so confident in that happening.

The chances of both Santillan and Vlad (or Art Warren, etc.) suddently becoming above-average MLB pitchers this season, one of them as a starter, are very slim.
    This reminds me of a couple years ago when I said we needed to add a couple starters to cover some innings and everyone screamed that Stephenson, Reed, Garrett, Lorenzen, Finnegan, the just TJ'd Homer Bailey, Iglesias, Lamb, and Romano should be the starters and acquiring a starter was unnecessary (even though several of those guys had known injuries). They rushed and ruined some of those guys and others were just filler to begin with. Now we're saying the same crap all over again about the bullpen.

I think we have help in the minors if they are willing to make Hunter Greene a reliever. Other than him, its just the same stuff we keep running on and off the roster. The Reds have plenty of options to fill the mop-up roles. The roles you are describing need guys from outside the organization. The vast majority of that depth in the minor leagues will turn out like the forgotten names we were banking on before. We've already been told that we were fine because we had guys to take on some of the innings we lost. "Reports from the alternate sight have been glowing about Deleion"; "Garrett is one of the best relievers in baseball, he'll slide right in", "Bedrosian is a solid reliever", "Noe Ramirez is as good as anyone we lost"...
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

22. Likes:

REDREAD (05-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Jon Gray and Trevor Story for Nick Lodolo, Jonathan India, and Jose Garcia (plus other assorted non-prospects).

Who says no?
    The Reds because of the payroll increase. For those prospects Colorado should pay the Salaries.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?