Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Willie Mays turns 90 today

Haunted by walks

Re: Willie Mays turns 90 today

And Willie Mays went 0-23 to start his career.

2. Likes:

goreds2 (05-07-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That's a huge insult to Secretariat. Mays compares none whatsoever to Secretariat. Secretariat separated himself from all other Hall-of-Fame horses by leaps and bounds. Willie Mays is just another of super Hall-of-Famers where there are dozens as good as he was.

Huge insult to Secretariat. You don't understand how good Secretariat was and don't understand how good Mays was compared to other Hall-of-Famers if you try to compare the two.

- - - Updated - - -

Not even up for discussion. He did nothing to prove himself to be the greatest ever.

And, Mays was my favorite player as a kid before Bob Gibson replaced him there, and Gibson was still even after I became a REDS' fan. Gibson had to retire before Morgan was my favorite. Eric Davis is my all-time favorite.

Yogi Berra was better than Mays. Ruth was better than Mays. Gehrig was better than Mays. At least 50 were better or equal to Mays. Dimaggio was better than Mays. Gibson was as good as Mays. Matthewson was better than Mays. Koufax was better than Mays. The list is long.
    Just so we all know, what exactly are we using to measure players to be seen as the “greatest ever”?

Baseline data, peer reviews, fan reactions, comparison vs peers, comparison vs historical peers, championship teams

I’ll start

Rate stats
    Counting stats
    Comparison vs peers
    Comparison vs historical peers
    Peer reviews
    Fan reactions
    Championship teams

Change my mind

5. Likes:

redsmetz (05-07-2021)

That's a huge insult to Secretariat. Mays compares none whatsoever to Secretariat. Secretariat separated himself from all other Hall-of-Fame horses by leaps and bounds. Willie Mays is just another of super Hall-of-Famers where there are dozens as good as he was.

Huge insult to Secretariat. You don't understand how good Secretariat was and don't understand how good Mays was compared to other Hall-of-Famers if you try to compare the two.

- - - Updated - - -

Not even up for discussion. He did nothing to prove himself to be the greatest ever.

And, Mays was my favorite player as a kid before Bob Gibson replaced him there, and Gibson was still even after I became a REDS' fan. Gibson had to retire before Morgan was my favorite. Eric Davis is my all-time favorite.

Yogi Berra was better than Mays. Ruth was better than Mays. Gehrig was better than Mays. At least 50 were better or equal to Mays. Dimaggio was better than Mays. Gibson was as good as Mays. Matthewson was better than Mays. Koufax was better than Mays. The list is long.
    Yogi Berra was better than Mays? Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooool

Wow.

I mean, man, c'mon. I sorta agree with the point that Secretariat was in a class all of his own and 2nd place is distant so comparing Mays to Secretariat is inaccurate, but Mays is as far ahead of Berra as Secretariat is to the rest of the horse racing field.

You couldn't make a reasonable 10 man Hall of Fame without Mays. You could reasonably make a 100 man Hall of Fame without Yogi Berra.
    Last edited by PTjvs; 05-07-2021 at 12:45 AM.

7. Likes:

CySeymour (05-07-2021),Old school 1983 (05-07-2021),SomeCallMeTim (05-07-2021),westofyou (05-07-2021)

I'm glad I got to see him at Crosley in '66.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-07-2021),goreds2 (05-07-2021),RedsBaron (05-07-2021),redsmetz (05-07-2021),Ron Madden (05-07-2021),Tony Cloninger (05-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'm glad I got to see him at Crosley in '66.
    I saw Willie at Crosley in 1970, the last time I ever attended a game at Crosley Field. In those days my family made a yearly trip to see a Reds game. My dad gave me the chose of deciding whether to go see a game at Crosley one final time, or waiting until later in the season when Riverfront Stadium opened. I opted for Crosley.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-07-2021),GAC (05-09-2021),goreds2 (05-07-2021),redsmetz (05-07-2021),Ron Madden (05-07-2021),Tony Cloninger (05-07-2021)

Mays is one of top 3 players of all time. No doubt in my mind about that. As someone else stated, he would broken the HR record of Ruth if he had played his entire career at the Polo Grounds. He had all the tools that most don't have and he used them well. I wish I could have seen him in his prime. About my only memories of him was in the 1973 World Series and I'm afraid he was playing like he was 90 years old then. But that doesn't delude any of the greatness of him. One of the best! Long live Willie Mays!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

13. Likes:

goreds2 (05-07-2021),PTjvs (05-07-2021)

My dad always talked about getting to see Mays play at Crosley. His biggest memory was seeing Mays drop a basket catch. Talk about a rare event!
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-07-2021)

How many of those led to winning the World Series. Oh, yeah. Absolutely none of them.
    Imagine typing this sentence.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Ruth also only had to play against segregated competition, he didn’t face the best of the black players either. Mays played against everybody. That’s another notch in Mays’ book that puts him closer to equal footing as the GOAT IMO.

18. Likes:

Moose Herd (05-07-2021),Tony Cloninger (05-07-2021)

Mays is the greatest baseball player I ever saw.

But some of his defensive and base running excellence might seem less special today, in comparison to more current athletes.

Still, he was the clearest example of a great five-tool player I’ve seen.

20. Likes:

elrojo (05-07-2021),mth123 (05-07-2021)

Mantle before hurting his knee was the only all around player who compared. Aaron was close to that level. Maybe Duke Snider then Banks and Robinson there as well. Williams and Musial were a little better pure hitters but not much of a gap. During the early to mid 60s only Frank R. Cepeda. Clemente and Tommy Davis were close to Mays and Aaron.

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    How many here think he is the greatest ever?
    For the record I don't think so.
    I have him 3rd behind Ruth and Williams.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I have him 3rd behind Ruth and Williams.
    Five tools means all five. Ruth and Williams did not have speed. Mays remains the best
    all-around player. Ruth and Williams may have been better hitters, although that is up
    for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by elrojo View Post
    Five tools means all five. Ruth and Williams did not have speed. Mays remains the best
    all-around player. Ruth and Williams may have been better hitters, although that is up
    for debate.
    Ruth was an All Star Pitcher. That seems pretty All Around to me. I give you Williams. Williams got a lot of talk about missing 5 seasons to military service, People forget that Mays missed most of 1952 and all of 1953 as well. He was 21, 22 at the time.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

25. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-07-2021)

The best I have ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turn Off Ads?