Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Angels releasing Albert

Re: Angels releasing Albert

Tony La Russa sings Albert Pujols' praises, but says stacked White Sox lineup leaves 'no fit' for his ex-slugger

There won't be a reunion between Albert Pujols and his old manager as Chicago White Sox skipper Tony La Russa indicated Pujols won't be joining him in Chicago.

"We have Jose (Abreu) and Yermin (Mercedes) and even if Yermin gets less hot, it's a good way to DH other guys, get them off their feet," La Russa said Friday afternoon. "There is no fit here, unfortunately."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Well if he is retired maybe he will find time to come back and post here.
    Go Gators!

4. Likes:

westofyou (05-07-2021)

How will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

6. Likes:

Krawhitham (05-08-2021),Phoenix2 (05-14-2021)

It was one of the most awkward, uncomfortable and ugly good-byes in this generation of baseball immortals.

We’re talking about Albert Pujols.

He woke up Wednesday morning, having already been told he’d be in the starting lineup that night for the Los Angeles Angels against the Tampa Bay Rays.

By the time the day was over, Pujols was yelling at manager Joe Maddon, telling president John Carpino and GM Perry Minasian that he wasn’t going to retire, insisting he did not want to spend the rest of the season on the bench and blasting Maddon’s managerial skills, according to two people with direct knowledge of the day's events who requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature the details.
    https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/5007305...mpression=true

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-10-2021),goreds2 (05-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Votto was also actually a fun player to watch most of the contract until the last couple years. No regrets here from me. The only thing the Reds did wrong was give up right as Joey’s extension began more or less and didn’t even try to surround him with a winning roster, and decided tanking was more important.
    I don't disagree at all. He's been worth every penny.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

10. Likes:

757690 (05-15-2021),goreds2 (05-10-2021),Phoenix2 (05-14-2021),wally post (05-15-2021),Wonderful Monds (05-10-2021)

In a small way, this makes me a little sad that the Reds missed out on hiring Maddon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    How will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son?
    Do we know if Chris Carpenter is available to explain things to other people's children as well? Perhaps a Zoom based service? Chris Carpenter Ted Talks?

13. Likes:

Phoenix2 (05-14-2021)

Pujols now officially a free agent.

ALBERT PUJOLS
    1B, MLB

Robert Murray of FanSided reports that 3-4 teams are showing interest in Albert Pujols.
    The identity of those clubs isn't known. Pujols wants to keep playing after being released by the Angels and doesn't seem to be interested in accepting a part-time role. He seems likely to be limited mostly to designated hitter duties wherever he winds up, so the teams in on him figure to be in the American League.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    As this is about the Marlins, I am unsure if you mean $201 million or just $201 total.
    If the Marlins had signed him, I'll bet he would have been traded within a few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

17. Likes:

bm1475 (05-14-2021),cincinnati chili (05-16-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Dodgers beat writer on Twitter says Dodgers and Pujols are in agreement on a contract.

Others are saying the Cardinals are trying to get him back.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I thought the Dodgers were a smart organization? Where is a 50 year old DH going to play for them?

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I thought the Dodgers were a smart organization? Where is a 50 year old DH going to play for them?
    Playing 1B against lefty starters and pinch hitting versus lefty starters. This is THE biggest explanation for the Dodgers slide: .796 ops vs RHP, .663 ops vs LHP : https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...=LAD&year=2021

Plus I have enough faith in the Dodgers’ data science that they’ve probably identified something Albert still does well that they can exploit. For all I know, maybe Albert hits well against a certain type of righty thrower. Unmarried right handed pitchers between the ages of 31 and 34 whose fastballs top out at 92 and lack a wipeout change up.
    Stick to your guns.

21. Likes:

Assembly Hall (05-16-2021),BillDoran (05-16-2021),RedsBaron (05-17-2021)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I had visions of Albert signing with us and torturing the Cards the rest of the way out.

Albert Pujols said when he signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers that he felt like he still had plenty of gas left in the tank. And on Thursday night, he proved it.

Pujols hit his first home run in a Dodger uniform – and the 668th homer of his career – to stake LA to an early 2-0 lead over the Arizona Diamondbacks.

The three-time National League MVP joined the Dodgers on May 15 as a free agent after being designated for assignment by the Los Angeles Angels.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?