Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Castillo broken?

Is Castillo broken?

Might as well put this out there. Asking for a friend.

Kinda worried about two of my favorite Reds (the other being Suarez), and I'm not really one prone to panic when it comes to baseball.

Hope he turns it around and it's just a blip. I read recently that his statcast data looks weird so far this year, but haven't dug too deep into it.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (05-11-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Castillo broken?

I haven’t been concerned but I’m getting there now....

5. Likes:

Griffey012 (05-09-2021)

His fastball is his problem.

You’d be a nutter not to be very concerned. I’m guessing an IL visit on the near horizon. He’s an automatic loss.

8. Likes:

757690 (05-08-2021)

Via REDREAD in the game thread, Chris Welsh suggested that hitters now know to lay off his changeup because it’s always low, so they just lay off of anything low.

If it’s that, that seems like an easy fix. However, I am skeptical it’s that simple.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

10. Likes:

REDREAD (05-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Via REDREAD in the game thread, Chris Welsh suggested that hitters now know to lay off his changeup because it’s always low, so they just lay off of anything low.

If it’s that, that seems like an easy fix. However, I am skeptical it’s that simple.
    Hmm, interesting. Velo is down slightly. Maybe that's all hitters need? Fastball spin is up, but damn I'm beginning to think spin rate especially on FB is a touch overrated.

They can go 0-2, 1-2, waiting for the right pitch, when there is more time to guess. He is throwing the FB less and change more.

yes...move him to the BP and put Antone in the rotation for his own good and future.

This doesn’t excuse the rest of his starts, but the Indians broadcast said the reds clubhouse was basically a frat party last night after Miley’s no hitter. Sounds like everyone was likely pretty hungover today. Apparently Miley is beloved in the clubhouse. But yeah, definitely worried about Castillo. He looks terrible. Some horrendous errors during his start today, though.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I don't think so, though the lack of strikeouts is definitely a bit concerning to me. Still, it's May 8th and he's made 7 starts. I'm not too panicked yet.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

15. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (05-08-2021),Edd Roush (05-09-2021),Ron Madden (05-08-2021)

At the plate? Yeah, he's down there in Suarez territory.

On the mound. He's no Blandino, that's for sure.

17. Likes:

757690 (05-08-2021),Cursh14 (05-12-2021),Redsland (05-10-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Hmm, interesting. Velo is down slightly. Maybe that's all hitters need? Fastball spin is up, but damn I'm beginning to think spin rate especially on FB is a touch overrated.

They can go 0-2, 1-2, waiting for the right pitch, when there is more time to guess. He is throwing the FB less and change more.
    Not overrated, but victim of the flawed idea that "more spin is better." You want more spin for high fastballs, because they'll ride longer and present more of an optical illusion to the hitter.

OTOH, a low, 2-seamer you want less spin, so it tails down at the end.

Sounds to me like Castillo needs that 2-seam fastball.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

19. Likes:

757690 (05-08-2021),REDREAD (05-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    This doesn’t excuse the rest of his starts, but the Indians broadcast said the reds clubhouse was basically a frat party last night after Miley’s no hitter. Sounds like everyone was likely pretty hungover today. Apparently Miley is beloved in the clubhouse. But yeah, definitely worried about Castillo. He looks terrible. Some horrendous errors during his start today, though.
    Castillo’s embrace of Miley after the game was real. You can tell there is love there. I was nearly in tears watching all of that.

Two pitches aren’t enough, guy needs to use a breaking ball now and then

22. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-09-2021),KronoRed (05-08-2021),Mitri (05-08-2021),Old school 1983 (05-08-2021),Patrick Bateman (05-09-2021),Ron Madden (05-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't think so, though the lack of strikeouts is definitely a bit concerning to me. Still, it's May 8th and he's made 7 starts. I'm not too panicked yet.
    I normally have this view. But normally, the slumping players look okay, but just are having some bad results, and their peripherals look okay too.

With both Castillo and Suarez, they look bad on the field and their peripherals reflect that.

Not time to declare them done, but definitely time for me to start panicking.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

24. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (05-09-2021)

I can’t help but wonder if this is why the Reds were quietly shopping him this offseason. They had a feeling he was about to implode.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?