Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Castillo broken?

Re: Is Castillo broken?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    According to the Baseball Reference game logs showing the results of each 2020 game:

Suarez crossed the .600 OPS line in his 26th game, at Milwaukee, August 24, 2020. His line before that game was .149/ .282./.310/.592.

Suarez crossed the .700 OPS line in his 34th game, against St. Louis, August 31, 2020. His line before that game was .174/.298/.393/.691.
    And after 10 games it was like .350. Thank you for laying out the progression…
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

Moose Herd (05-11-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    And after 10 games it was like .350. Thank you for laying out the progression…
    And that means he had a .861 OPS from game 11 to game 34. Thanks for showing that Kc61!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Herd View Post
    And that means he had a .861 OPS from game 11 to game 34. Thanks for showing that Kc61!
    I would say that a .149 BA and .592 OPS after 25 games is a deep slump. Not just a ten day deep slump as it was represented to be.

Might not be the deepest point but pretty, pretty deep.

And while the increase to .174 BA and .691 OPS by the 34th game shows definite improvement, it’s really nothing to write home about. If the backup shortstop had those numbers, we’d read how he should be dropped.

Right now Geno’s at .142 BA and .555 OPS in his 32nd game as he walks up to hit in the fourth inning.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-11-2021 at 07:42 PM.

I would say that a .149 BA and .592 OPS after 25 games is a deep slump. Not just a ten day deep slump as it was represented to be.

And while the increase to .174 BA and .691 OPS by the 34th game shows definite improvement, it’s really nothing to write home about. If the backup shortstop had those numbers, we’d read the complaints every day.

Right now Geno’s at .142 BA and .555 OPS in his 32nd game as he walks up to hit in the fourth inning.
    Now do what his OPS was from game 11 to 35.

Now do what his OPS was from game 11 to 35.
    He improved from the deepest point of his slump to a higher point of his slump. Still just reaching .700 OPS.

You know, improving to .700 OPS isn’t that good. It’s really nothing to brag about.

And while the increase to .174 BA and .691 OPS by the 34th game shows definite improvement, it’s really nothing to write home about. If the backup shortstop had those numbers, we’d read how he should be dropped.

By this logic, a slump in the middle of a season that takes a season high OPS of, say, .900 down to .800 isn’t actually a slump since a .800 OPS is still pretty good.

Geno is in a slump no matter how you slice it. To say otherwise is to do some gold medal mental gymnastics.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (05-11-2021),Wonderful Monds (05-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Geno is in a slump no matter how you slice it. To say otherwise is to do some gold medal mental gymnastics.
    Geno is in a slump. We are mostly talking about last year right now, in this Castillo thread.

That’s fine. I disagree because it’s two years ago. I’d never evaluate an athlete’s current ability based on two-year old performance. Maybe we can see a hint of his current high K rate trend in 2019, when ES led NL with 189 Ks.

It’s not my benchmark, but if it’s yours, no problem.
    my benchmark is not a season that consists of 60 games. if it's yours, no worries. and yes, i'll put more emphasis on a 162-game season just 2 years ago when suarez tied for the team's second-most HRs ever in a season with 49.

Who is saying he is not in a slump?

14. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I certainly share your doubt about the long-term viability of this year’s team. The Cards look ready to achieve escape velocity and this team has a razor-thin margin for error. That’s a fair argument. Still the Cards have gotten fat on the Rockies and Pirates. I want see how they do against the Brewers before I declare them the class of the division. I guess I just want to buy the Reds some meaningful warm weather ball. But that may not much depend on Castillo’s staying in the rotation.

I think the division got decided when the Reds did nothing in the offseason and watched the Cards pick up an MVP candidate.
    We agree on the problems this team has.
    It's not much of a plan to hope the team racks up a bunch of wins vs the Pirates, Cubs, and whoever else is tanking. This year, they have to face quality teams out of their division. The Reds got spanked by the Diamondbacks, for crying out loud.
    The unbalanced schedule probably will make the Brewers and Cards look better than they really are, but still the Reds will finish 3rd or 4th, most likely. And below .500 (Barring some miracle additions).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Who is saying he is not in a slump?
    Dude. There’s some serious mental gymnastics going on about it. Maybe my comment was too blunt. But people are slicing and dicing numbers in ways that don’t make sense to try to get around how bad it is.

Dude. There’s some serious mental gymnastics going on about it. Maybe my comment was too blunt. But people are slicing and dicing numbers in ways that don’t make sense to try to get around how bad it is.
    Exactly nobody is saying he isn't slumping in 2021, and since this is the Castillo thread, exactly nobody is saying that Castillo hasn't been bad in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Herd View Post
    Exactly nobody is saying he isn't slumping in 2021, and since this is the Castillo thread, exactly nobody is saying that Castillo hasn't been bad in 2021.
    I clarified my comments to state that my issue is with the mental gymnastics being used to mitigate the severity of the slump. If you’d like to discuss Castillo, the low K rate has me concerned. I think at least one or both could use a phantom DL stint at this point. Each has something going on causing them to be a detriment to the team. Farmer has a better OPS than Suarez right now. The...if this was in the middle of an otherwise productive season...argument doesn’t hold much water with me because, if it was, we’d know that the productivity was there and this is just a dip. For the past 3 weeks now, he’s been giving some of the worst non pitcher at bats I have seen in watching baseball for over 30 years....and that includes guys in mid season slumps. It’s great that he’s moved to 3b recently so the D isn’t as much as a liability, but the guy is literally adding nothing to the team right now. I’d be more willing to let Castillo pitch through his issues than I am to let Suarez continue to try to hit through his. It just ain’t happening. It’s time for a reset and a phantom DL stint could do that.

19. Likes:

Thisyear (05-12-2021)

Yeah this team is t___s up. Leave Castillo in the rotation. We’re right back to 2014-2019. Try to shine Castillo up and look for Winker suitors. This team is hot toast.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (05-15-2021)

Turn Off Ads?