Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Castillo broken?

Re: Is Castillo broken?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    In the game thread, it was mentioned that he had options. Now, I believe by being a veteran, he can refuse that option, but I would try to talk him into it.
    I don’t think you can refuse an option with less than 5 years of service time. I’m not 100% sure of that though.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

2. Likes:

757690 (05-14-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    If they really do start him next time out, they need to use Stephenson behind the plate. If for no other reason than to change things up.

Didn’t somebody earlier say his ERA with Casali was way lower than with Barnhart over the last few years? Maybe they just don’t vibe well with each other.

I know I’m reaching... it’s probably a way bigger issue. But if he actually is healthy, change it up. It can’t possibly make things worse.
    I don't think that's a reach at all. When I was pitching I preferred certain catchers over others. It's still a human being that you have to get on the same page with. Sometimes you just trust each other better.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Castillo needs a 2 seam fastball which will stay down in the zone with movement. That'll have hitters off balance when he then throws his change.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

REDREAD (05-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    I don't think that's a reach at all. When I was pitching I preferred certain catchers over others. It's still a human being that you have to get on the same page with. Sometimes you just trust each other better.
    I feel you... I obviously never pitches professionally but even when I was pitching in High School, I definitely had catchers I worked with way better than others.

It’s human nature. In one case I just generally didn’t like one of them and always disagreed with the pitches he’d call, haha. You never wanna see a pitcher and catcher obviously out of sync with each other.

I really hope it could be something simple like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

8. Likes:

forfreelin04 (05-15-2021)

The solution is not to start him till the 2nd inning. His 1st inning numbers are ... 16.88 ERA with 18 runs allowed (15 earned).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

10. Likes:

Assembly Hall (05-14-2021),Rojo Rijo (05-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    The solution is not to start him till the 2nd inning. His 1st inning numbers are ... 16.88 ERA with 18 runs allowed (15 earned).
    Maybe they should try using an opener with him.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Castillo needs a 2 seam fastball which will stay down in the zone with movement. That'll have hitters off balance when he then throws his change.
    Castillo’s sinking fastball has declined in “pitch value” dramatically. Fangraphs’ Pitch Info Pitch Value chart shows a decline from +5.8 to -8.5 since last year. In 2019 that pitch value was +9.0.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (05-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Tampa style. Maybe we just start Tejay for every LC game

I give him more starts start outside of the awful Coors Field before declaring him finished. Shrugs.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-14-2021),GAC (05-15-2021),Moose Herd (05-14-2021)

Of course. The answer is to let him continue to get his head pounded in. OF COURSE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Good thing the Reds hired pitching "gurus".
    This—and not Castillo’s struggles—is what really irks me. “We know what’s wrong. We’re almost done fixing it.” These guys sound like your Uncle Ned “fixing” your alternator for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Tampa style. Maybe we just start Tejay for every LC game
    Or put Castillo in the bullpen where can rely on his two pitches for 15 pitches at a time. Or figure out how to option him—so he doesn’t just get one Louisville start to “fix” his problem. The key here is to get him out of the rotation—for his sake and the team’s.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 05-14-2021 at 08:56 AM.

I don’t think Castillo is finished at all. On the other hand, the issues with his pitching are real. They won’t disappear by using an Opener or a different catcher.

If one is interested, just look at the stats. It appears that, at least short term, he’s “lost his fastball.” Mostly his 2-seamer, now far less effective. In turn, that causes his changeup to be less effective.

Maybe readily fixable, maybe not, no idea. But let’s not assume such a prolonged slump will just go away. It’ll take analysis, diagnosis, and work.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-14-2021 at 08:55 AM.

21. Likes:

DocRed (05-14-2021),REDREAD (05-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    This—and not Castillo’s struggles—is what really irks me. “We know what’s wrong. We’re almost done fixing it.” These guys sound like your Uncle Ned “fixing” your alternator for cheap.
    Actually, the problem is thinking of players to be the same as cars. You can’t just “fix” them. These are human beings. You can know what is wrong, but that doesn’t mean they can make the physical or mental change the way you can just put a new alternator in a car.

If the problem is that Castillo needs to add more movement to his changeup, that takes work, like weeks or months of bullpen sessions and extra work with the coaches. Sometimes the player just can’t do it.

Coaches can’t “fix” pitchers. The best they can do it isolate the problem and help the pitcher work on that problem. But most of the work and most of the success depends on the pitcher and his capabilities.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

23. Likes:

GAC (05-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I give him more starts start outside of the awful Coors Field before declaring him finished. Shrugs.
    He has started 8 games and the Reds have been out of it before he's left in 7 of them. But sure, let's blame it on the mountain air.

I don't think he's finished. As Brantley said last night, nearly every pitcher in the history of baseball comes face to face with a moment like this in their careers. It may be that time for Castillo. Maybe he's hurt (doubt it). I think it's a number of factors that have snowballed into a complete meltdown. It's time for him to do more than tweak.

I'm serious when I say he needs to add that Cueto hitch to his delivery. I think his motion is too smooth and has become very easy read.

25. Likes:

DocRed (05-14-2021),Falls City Beer (05-14-2021),Wonderful Monds (05-14-2021)

Turn Off Ads?