Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Castillo broken?

Re: Is Castillo broken?

Kyle Hendricks has a mid 6.00 ERA. Wonder if the Cubs are thinking about moving him to the bullpen on May 9th.

I’m not saying Castillo definitely isn’t broken but you’ve got to give him at least May. Antone should replace Hoffman, though.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Kyle Hendricks has a mid 6.00 ERA. Wonder if the Cubs are thinking about moving him to the bullpen on May 9th.

I’m not saying Castillo definitely isn’t broken but you’ve got to give him at least May. Antone should replace Hoffman, though.
    They should probably consider it. Letting someone continue to fail is not good coaching. Let him see success. You can always shift him back to the rotation.

4. Likes:

Mitri (05-09-2021)

Haunted by walks

Castillo reminds me a little of Raisel Iglesias. They rely on the precision of wicked pitches. Being a little off makes for a bad day. And Castillo is famous for his changeup, which relies on batters expecting something else. The more he throws the change, the less of a change it is.

I know the pandemic has our memories weaker than ever but does nobody really remember Castillo's ERA being like 8.00 this time in 2018? Again I think there are some bad signs, particularly regarding the lack of swings and misses so far, but he's more than earned enough rope that calling for moving him to the bullpen because 6.42 ERA (4.56 FIP) after 7 starts is ridiculous.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-10-2021),Bob Sheed (05-09-2021),Coopdaddy67 (05-09-2021),Griffey012 (05-09-2021),M2 (05-09-2021),traderumor (05-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I know the pandemic has our memories weaker than ever but does nobody really remember Castillo's ERA being like 8.00 this time in 2018? Again I think there are some bad signs, particularly regarding the lack of swings and misses so far, but he's more than earned enough rope that calling for moving him to the bullpen because 6.42 ERA (4.56 FIP) after 7 starts is ridiculous.
    It’s honestly astounding. I get it with FCB, he’s made it very clear he’s not a fan of Castillo, but most of the board is saying “bullpen or whatever” on a dude that was lights out from 2019 through last season. You’ve got to give Castillo time to improve, and here’s the thing: if Castillo is broken, it doesn’t matter. The reds are not going to the postseason without a productive Castillo.

9. Likes:

Red Raindog (05-10-2021),Tom Servo (05-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Absolutely. This sucks, but the way you fix it is by continuing to start him every 5th game until he gets right.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

11. Likes:

Griffey012 (05-09-2021),mth123 (05-09-2021),REDREAD (05-11-2021),redsfanmia (05-09-2021),Tom Servo (05-09-2021)

It’s honestly astounding. I get it with FCB, he’s made it very clear he’s not a fan of Castillo, but most of the board is saying “bullpen or whatever” on a dude that was lights out from 2019 through last season. You’ve got to give Castillo time to improve, and here’s the thing: if Castillo is broken, it doesn’t matter. The reds are not going to the postseason without a productive Castillo.
    Honestly, I think potential distorts performance so much in sports that it prevents teams from making moves that overall help a franchise.

If he continues to lose every 5th game and tax the pen, then the Reds will be 5-6 games back and guess what? Season’s over by June 1st.

And i could understand keeping him in the rotation if they had no other rotation alternatives. But they definitely do have a rotation alternative.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Honestly, I think potential distorts performance so much in sports that it prevents teams from making moves that overall help a franchise.

If he continues to to lose every 5th game and tax the pen, then the Reds will be 5-6 games back and guess what? Season’s over by June 1st.
    If he’s truly no good anymore, then the season is effectively already over honestly

14. Likes:

Griffey012 (05-09-2021),REDREAD (05-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    If he’s truly no good anymore, then the season is effectively already over honestly
    Really? I’m not even that maudlin. My guess is he can be lights out from the pen and that Antone can actually be what Castillo’s potential says he should be.

16. Likes:

Mitri (05-09-2021)

I thought Castillo always struggled in cold weather. Like the break on his pitches need the humidity or something along those lines?
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

18. Likes:

Shoeless Jeff (05-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I thought Castillo always struggled in cold weather. Like the break on his pitches need the humidity or something along those lines?
    I was at the game yesterday. It was quite cold.

At the end of the day: the Reds are not going to give up on Castillo after 7 freaking starts. He’s going to get through June at the absolute minimum.

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-10-2021)

I wouldn't do it right away, but if he puts up a couple more stinkers and continues to look off (and not just unlucky) I love the idea of swapping him and Antone.

The phantom IL stint might be good too, but Castillo strikes me as a guy that needs to prove to himself that he can still get guys out. He may become an even bigger head case with a couple of weeks off and 2 starts in AAA.

And I would also push back against the idea that the Reds season is finished without Castillo being Castillo. They played .500 ball with him ruining their chances every fifth day and Suarez as an automatic out each turn through the lineup. Sonny looks sharper than ever, Miley and Mahle are solid, add Antone to the rotation and you're pretty much right where we'd thought we'd be with a good Luis.

I would also do the same for Suarez. Put him in a platoon position, keep him off SS (maybe he's the backup SS), and let him get his head straight. Put him in a position to succeed, even if it is a limited role. These guys are both clearly off, and may need to work themselves back making long-term adjustments over time.

22. Likes:

Falls City Beer (05-09-2021)

I just don't see the validity of the comparison between Castillo and Suarez, frankly. Castillo has been pitching poorly but he's also had some bad luck, while Suarez has been downright horrific.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

24. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-10-2021),Coopdaddy67 (05-09-2021),Old school 1983 (05-10-2021),Red Raindog (05-10-2021),RedTeamGo! (05-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I wouldn't do it right away, but if he puts up a couple more stinkers and continues to look off (and not just unlucky) I love the idea of swapping him and Antone.

The phantom IL stint might be good too, but Castillo strikes me as a guy that needs to prove to himself that he can still get guys out. He may become an even bigger head case with a couple of weeks off and 2 starts in AAA.

And I would also push back against the idea that the Reds season is finished without Castillo being Castillo. They played .500 ball with him ruining their chances every fifth day and Suarez as an automatic out each turn through the lineup. Sonny looks sharper than ever, Miley and Mahle are solid, add Antone to the rotation and you're pretty much right where we'd thought we'd be with a good Luis.

I would also do the same for Suarez. Put him in a platoon position, keep him off SS (maybe he's the backup SS), and let him get his head straight. Put him in a position to succeed, even if it is a limited role. These guys are both clearly off, and may need to work themselves back making long-term adjustments over time.
    Smart franchises pivot. They do what’s best for the team not just what’s best for a player’s next contract. (Though Castillo could certainly be a great reliever—and conceivably could return to the rotation).

I was at the game yesterday. It was quite cold.

At the end of the day: the Reds are not going to give up on Castillo after 7 freaking starts. He’s going to get through June at the absolute minimum.
    I have no doubt you’re right. Square peg, round hole—despite having in their possession a round peg.

27. Likes:

Mitri (05-09-2021)

Turn Off Ads?