Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Castillo broken?

Re: Is Castillo broken?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Smart franchises pivot. They do what’s best for the team not just what’s best for a player’s next contract. (Though Castillo could certainly be a great reliever—and conceivably could return to the rotation).
    Nobody gives up on one of their best pitchers after 7 starts. That is not real life.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Nobody gives up on one of their best pitchers after 7 starts. That is not real life.
    Give up? They’re not taking him out back and shooting him. They’re putting a 2-pitch pitcher where he’ll likely see success.

Give up? They’re not taking him out back and shooting him. They’re putting a 2-pitch pitcher where he’ll likely see success.
    It's not like he's a one-hit wonder like a Tony Cingrani, going into this season he'd made 90 MLB starts and has a 3.62 ERA. I know you're not the guys biggest fan but c'mon.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

Cursh14 (05-12-2021),Griffey012 (05-09-2021),RedTeamGo! (05-09-2021)

Smart franchises pivot. They do what’s best for the team not just what’s best for a player’s next contract. (Though Castillo could certainly be a great reliever—and conceivably could return to the rotation).
    Dumb franchises pivot away from 28-year-old pitchers with a career ERA+ of 120. If he's not injured, he's in the rotation. I'd get a quick IL stay if he needs some recalibration. Yet bullpen? Hell no.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    It's not like he's a one-hit wonder like a Tony Cingrani, going into this season he'd made 90 MLB starts and has a 3.62 ERA. I know you're not the guys biggest fan but c'mon.
    It's guilt by association. Castillo's wearing a Reds uniform.

9. Likes:

Cursh14 (05-12-2021),Old school 1983 (05-10-2021),Tom Servo (05-09-2021)

If they insist on letting a close division slip away from them by June 15th (again), then might I suggest a pitching coach change? I fail to see the wisdom in letting a guy pile up 13-15 starts with mid-6 ERA with zero adjustments. He needs another pitch.

He is making absolutely no adjustments. He’s pitching the very same way each time out and getting hammered or walking the universe.

If they insist on letting a close division slip away from them by June 15th (again), then might I suggest a pitching coach change? I fail to see the wisdom in letting a guy pile up 13-15 starts with mid-6 ERA with zero adjustments. He needs another pitch.

He is making absolutely no adjustments. He’s pitching the very same way each time out and getting hammered or walking the universe.
    He's literally been a good pitcher for four seasons.

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-10-2021),traderumor (05-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He's literally been a good pitcher for four seasons.
    He’s not K-ing anyone, he’s walking too many (though to be fair, everyone but Miley is walking too many), giving up too many homers and can’t pitch through the 5th most games. He looks shaken. Let him see some success out of the pen.

It’s possible he’s hurt, but if not he can’t be confident right now.

He’s not K-ing anyone, he’s walking too many (though to be fair, everyone but Miley is walking too many), giving up too many homers and can’t pitch through the 5th most games. He looks shaken. Let him see some success out of the pen.

It’s possible he’s hurt, but if not he can’t be confident right now.
    I've been watching baseball for more than a minute. Top pitchers/players go through rough patches.

Among MLB starters, Castillo is dead last in ERA. Among the very bottom in K/9 despite that being his calling card. And he labors through his innings (17.94 P/IP—good for 5th worst).

Among MLB starters, Castillo is dead last in ERA. Among the very bottom in K/9 despite that being his calling card. And he labors through his innings (17.94 P/IP—good for 5th worst).
    What’s concerning is that there’s never been a pitcher that has started a season poorly that has ever bounced back and had a good year. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Herd View Post
    What’s concerning is that there’s never been a pitcher that has started a season poorly that has ever bounced back and had a good year. Ever.
    Yes you’re right! Because the Reds can afford to be 7-8 games back at the All-Star Break! They’re like the Yankees or the Dodgers in that way. They’re chock full of 10 game win streaks.

I don’t know about you: I’d rather just lose every 5th game and watch Antone hold a 6 run lead in Mahle’s starts.

18. Likes:

Mitri (05-09-2021)

Jeff Hoffman is in the rotation and you’re going to claim more Luis Castillo starts are going to cause the division to slip away from the Reds? Ludicrous.

FWIW, while he has definitely struggled. He’s got a 4.75 ERA outside of opening day. Hard to hold a rough performance in that kind of weather against anyone.

Castillo opened the season in similar fashion in 2018. He got things going and finished the year like his usual self.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 05-09-2021 at 06:13 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

20. Likes:

M2 (05-09-2021),mth123 (05-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Jeff Hoffman is in the rotation and you’re going to claim more Luis Castillo starts are going to cause the division to slip away from the Reds? Ludicrous.

FWIW, while he has definitely struggled. He’s got a 4.75 ERA outside of opening day. Hard to hold a rough performance in that kind of weather against anyone.

Castillo opened the season in similar fashion in 2018. He got things going and finished the year like his usual self.
    In Hoffman’s defense, he’s keeping the Reds in games for the most part. And I fully expect that when he goes full JDL, they’ll replace him.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 05-09-2021 at 06:27 PM.

In Hoffman’s defense, he’s keeping the Reds in games for the most part. And I fully expect that when he goes full JDL, they’ll replace him.
    With whom?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?