Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One last thread. Your favorite Reds home games you attended?

Re: One last thread. Your favorite Reds home games you attended?

July 1, 1973. I have talked about that a lot on here so most of you are probably bored to tears over it. Lots of reasons, it was an historic day for the Reds as they started huge comeback to win the NL West. It was also banner day. I had little banner/poster made and got to walk on the field between games. Also got a HR ball that Davey Lopes hitting the first game of the DH. Most of my family at the time attended and that has made it even more special over the years as some of them have passed on. Al in all it one of the best days of my childhood.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (05-09-2021),goreds2 (05-09-2021),KeefeCato (05-09-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Opening Day, 1961. Beautiful sunny afternoon, sat behind the plate, O'Toole went all the way beating the Cubs in less than two hours, 7-1. Pinson got three hits, Robinson and Post both went deep. All the buzz before the game was about who would be the second baseman that year; starter there for the game was Jim Baumer, an older guy who'd had only minimal MLB time. Unfortunately Baumer didn't work out and the Reds responded by trading Bailey to the Giants for Don Blasingame. It was a great start to a great season.

5. Likes:

Bob Sheed (05-09-2021),goreds2 (05-09-2021),KeefeCato (05-09-2021)

1990 World Series game 1 Eric the Red homer in 1st inning and that's all the Reds needed with Rijo on the mound.

1975 World Series game 5 Tony Perez breaks an world series at bat streak without a hit by leaving the park twice.

1969 Opening game, 100th anniversary coins given to all entering Crosley field. Pete Rose and Bobby Tolan lead off season with back to back homers off of Don Drysdale. Reds lose 3-2 though to put a damper on the day.

May 13th 1980, Ray Knight hit two homers in one inning, one being a grand slam.

October 11th 1970. World Series 2nd game, Reds get 4-0 lead and lose to Orioles 6-5 after losing a 3-0 lead the day before. Had to have a transistor radio with us because taking place up state was the very first game ever between the Browns and Bengals.

7. Likes:

goreds2 (05-09-2021),KeefeCato (05-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Oh. yes, Chapman's first game was something.
    I was at that one. I was in awe watching him warm up.

9. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    1990 World Series game 1 Eric the Red homer in 1st inning and that's all the Reds needed with Rijo on the mound.

1975 World Series game 5 Tony Perez breaks an world series at bat streak without a hit by leaving the park twice.

1969 Opening game, 100th anniversary coins given to all entering Crosley field. Pete Rose and Bobby Tolan lead off season with back to back homers off of Don Drysdale. Reds lose 3-2 though to put a damper on the day.

May 13th 1980, Ray Knight hit two homers in one inning, one being a grand slam.

October 11th 1970. World Series 2nd game, Reds get 4-0 lead and lose to Orioles 6-5 after losing a 3-0 lead the day before. Had to have a transistor radio with us because taking place up state was the very first game ever between the Browns and Bengals.
    Great games all of them. I remember 75 80 90. Even remember where I was and what I was doing oddly enough when Knight hit the HRs. I was in a Jones boys retail store. No idea if those were just local to my area or all over the place. They no longer exist. They always piped the game over the store speakers.
    Last edited by KeefeCato; 05-09-2021 at 03:05 PM.

11. Likes:

goreds2 (05-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I was at that one. I was in awe watching him warm up.
    I saw Chapmans first game too, but mine was a great story of cosmic timing.

We were heading home to KY that day from a trip to PA. No real plans to stop in Cincy, but I saw that Chapman was being called up so we left early to make it by game time.

Thankfully he got in. Brewers wasn’t it?

I was actually worried a ticket was going to be hard to come by. Quite a thrill to see the 100 and seeing that potential for the first time in the show.

13. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Best in person. Votto walk off homer on Pete Rose night against the pirates in 2010
    I was there for that one. It’s up there, but doesn’t get to the level of the Dunn walk-off grand slam against the Indians. That game was crazy, and the only reason any Reds fans stayed was because it was a fireworks night. The place went nuts. Awesome experience.

Griffey’s first game as a Red was memorable, too. The stadium shook when he came up for his first AB. Game itself was forgettable. Went back the next night for the quasi-continuation. It snowed.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

15. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Great games all of them. I remember 75 80 90. Even remember where I was and what I was doing oddly enough when Knight hit the HRs. I was in a Jones boys retail store. No idea if those were just local to my area or all over the place. They no longer exist. They always piped the game over the store speakers.
    The Knight game was one I will always remember. My parents got 4 tickets lower deck behind home plate from family friends and gave it to me to take friends of my choice for my birthday. One of the guys I brought, drunk from the bar we met at, wound up getting into a fight with the people in front of us and we got relocated to left field upper deck lol. Still kind of embarrassed about it as those family friends never, EVER offered us their season tickets ever again.

17. Likes:

the game that dallas williams got a hit

Johnny Bench night. September 17, 1983.

20. Likes:

goreds2 (05-10-2021),KeefeCato (05-09-2021)

Lots of doubleheaders when I was a kid growing up in Huntington WV. I don’t remember the details but spent lots of time getting autographs of the BRM. Since then, my favorite was 2019 opening day - the 150th celebration. It’s kind of a big deal to get to a game since I live in Arizona. I do however get to watch them in spring training.

22. Likes:

goreds2 (05-10-2021),KeefeCato (05-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    Lots of doubleheaders when I was a kid growing up in Huntington WV. I don’t remember the details but spent lots of time getting autographs of the BRM. Since then, my favorite was 2019 opening day - the 150th celebration. It’s kind of a big deal to get to a game since I live in Arizona. I do however get to watch them in spring training.
    I am not far from Huntington. Sadly what used to be a great little town is now a mess with drugs. I guess you could say that about most places now. But it seems worse than most.

24. Likes:

RiverfrontRed (05-10-2021)

They call me "chef"

I live in California (apologies) so I have only been to GABP for 3 games in 2013 against the Diamondbacks. It was during their playoff push so it was a great time. I recall them being 2.5 games behind the Cardinals at the time. Other than that, I’ve watched all my Reds games in San Diego, LA, and Anaheim (again, apologies).

26. Likes:

goreds2 (05-10-2021),KeefeCato (05-10-2021)

A three way tie between Games 1 and 2 of the 1990 World Series and Game 6 of the 1990 NLCS.

ED 1st inning home run set the stage for the rest of the series, and Game 2 won in a wild fashion with pinch runner Billy Bates scoring the winning walkoff run on a Joe Oliver base hit. Game 6 of the NLCS was probably the loudest I remember, particularly with Glenn Braggs home run saving catch (off Carmelo Martinez’s bat) and of course the Nasty Boys shutting it down to clinch the pennant. I was in 4th grade at the time, and my dad told me “Drink it all in, you may never see anything like this for a long, long time- maybe even your whole life.”

30 years later he’s been correct so far.
    Go BLUE!!!

28. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-10-2021),KeefeCato (05-10-2021)

Most memorable regular season games I attended probably also a three-way tie-

May 9, 2003 Jose Guillen hit a walkoff extra innings home run to straightaway center to make a 5 game winning streak where three were epic comebacks and The Bounce was invented.

June 22, 1990 Home plate umpire Terry Tata changes his mind, first calling Eric Davis safe at a Bottom of the 9th play at the plate for the winning run and then calling him out. Reds and Lou Pinella lost their mind, and would go on to lose the game in extra innings but played the game under protest.

July 5, 1987 Ron Oester gets taken out at second base on a hard slide by Mookie Wilson and tears his ACL. I was six years old at the time and legitimately thought he died. My brother and I came hole and made and sent cards to him in the hospital. Funny to think now it was *just* a torn ACL, but it created a real impression on me.
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-10-2021 at 11:48 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

30. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-10-2021),HokieRed (05-10-2021),KeefeCato (05-10-2021)

Turn Off Ads?