Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: College Football Playoff Expansion

Re: College Football Playoff Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    So now we are going to watch all the debate and grief about what #13 team gets unfairly left out. Yawn.
    I agree, but the stakes are so much lower at that point. It's like the complaining about the bubble NCAA Tournament teams. Yeah, some teams get screwed, but who really cares, because ALL of the truly deserving teams get in. Same thing here. Someone probably gets "screwed", but that wasn't a contender anyway. #5 and #6 might actually be contenders.

2. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (06-11-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Are they going to integrate these games into existing bowls or is it a completely separately hosted thing?
    They are going to play Round 1 on higher seed home field, and then incorporate the bowls into the quarterfinals and semifinals. Then as it is now, the National Championship game will be a neutral stand alone game.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I will say the one element that I think could be a weakness in the current proposal (that I tried to account for in my plan on page 1) is the impact on the loser of the conference championship game. Is there a scenario where for example....Alabama wins the SEC West and Florida wins the SEC East over Georgia by a tiebreaker. Then Alabama hammers Florida in the conference championship game and the committee punishes Florida in the rankings to where they do not get in while Georgia is ranked high enough to get an at large bid. Something just does not sit well with me in that type of situation because in the example, Florida is punished for playing in the conference championship game while Georgia is rewarded for missing the conference championship game.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The 2010 VaTech team went undefeated through the ACC. The 2011 Georgia team won 10 games in a row and won the SEC east. The 2009 Boise State team beat #3 TCU in the Fiesta Bowl. They started the season by beating Oregon...who won the Pac 12.

It's kind of silly to think those three Boise State teams didn't belong in a 12 team playoff.
    Boise would have gotten a shot in a 12 team playoff. UCF would have gotten a shot a few years ago when they "claimed" a National Championship. However, I don't think they would have been able to do much, nor do I think a spot should be saved for the best G5 school who may be outside the top 15 or so.

Give me the best 12 teams and have at it. If Boise is good enough, they will get their chance.

Turn Off Ads?