Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: College Football Playoff Expansion

Re: College Football Playoff Expansion

The 32-team tournament would just be the bowl games by a different name - maybe a few extra games in quantity, but not really more meaningful.

I kind of like having so many bowl games spread out over different times, days and weeks - some fun TV at the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    What if a second tier post season tournament was created (like the NIT or the Europa League) and that replaced bowl games?

So 8 team national championship tournament and then a 32 team December of Football tournament? Obviously it adds a lot of games potentially which adds safety issues and guys might just opt out, but it seems like a decent solution to balancing making the national championship hard to get into, the regular season meaningful and getting rid of meaningless bowl games but still having a post season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

What if a second tier post season tournament was created (like the NIT or the Europa League) and that replaced bowl games?

So 8 team national championship tournament and then a 32 team December of Football tournament? Obviously it adds a lot of games potentially which adds safety issues and guys might just opt out, but it seems like a decent solution to balancing making the national championship hard to get into, the regular season meaningful and getting rid of meaningless bowl games but still having a post season.
    I think it is worthy of a discussion. I just know right now we all gather and are interested in the 2 playoff games...they are exciting even when we complain about it being the same teams. Also, most of us barely watch more than a quarter at most of any other bowl unless our team is playing. In contrast, we are all glued to our screens at home or work for about 16 hours per day that first Thursday and Friday of the NCAA tournament.

As someone that grew up in Southern WV and was a "secondary fan" of Marshall, the D1-AA playoffs were freakin awesome!
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Would having a 32 team or even a 16 team "play-off" force Notre Dame to join a conference?
    Maybe, maybe not....just my personal opinion but I am so over being concerned about where Notre Dame fits into the picture. I still do not get why all of college football still feels the need to make special accommodations for them. I am a little bias as I have negative feelings for them because I watched them for years "use" the Big East when they could have joined and truly solidified the conference. It is clear they belong in the Big10 geographically, but I assume they would prefer the ACC.....just join or don't, but I would be done with all of the special accommodations.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

5. Likes:

Chip R (05-14-2021)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Maybe, maybe not....just my personal opinion but I am so over being concerned about where Notre Dame fits into the picture. I still do not get why all of college football still feels the need to make special accommodations for them. I am a little bias as I have negative feelings for them because I watched them for years "use" the Big East when they could have joined and truly solidified the conference. It is clear they belong in the Big10 geographically, but I assume they would prefer the ACC.....just join or don't, but I would be done with all of the special accommodations.
    I highly doubt ND will join the B1G. AND if they do, they will have to get used to losing 3-4 games every year. LOL

I highly doubt ND will join the B1G. AND if they do, they will have to get used to losing 3-4 games every year. LOL
    I think they would go ACC if they had to choose because they would think they could hang at the top of the conference most years. I would not shocked if one day they regret not joining the Big East which would have gave them better geography than the ACC and the best path to a playoff/BCS/etc.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I think they would go ACC if they had to choose because they would think they could hang at the top of the conference most years. I would not shocked if one day they regret not joining the Big East which would have gave them better geography than the ACC and the best path to a playoff/BCS/etc.
    Well if the B1G can kick those Cornholers out...then I would welcome the Irish to the conference. Their happy arsz's can take IU's spot in the East and the Hoosiers will gratefully take Nebraska's spot in the West.

Well if the B1G can kick those Cornholers out...then I would welcome the Irish to the conference. Their happy arsz's can take IU's spot in the East and the Hoosiers will gratefully take Nebraska's spot in the West.
    If we are kicking people out Rutgers is absolutely first on that list.

If we are kicking people out Rutgers is absolutely first on that list.
    There is a chance that Nebraska could choose to leave. Doubtful, but at some point they may feel it is best for the program to rejoin the Big12 (or whatever conference the Oklahoma schools, Kansas schools, etc. are part of at the time)....just as kind of a reset. Rutgers would fight to the death to remain in the Big10. Also, there are some positive signs from Rutgers....there is a chance they could climb up to the middle of the conference in the near future. Their recruiting is clearly on the uptick.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

11. Likes:

Assembly Hall (05-14-2021)

There is a chance that Nebraska could choose to leave. Doubtful, but at some point they may feel it is best for the program to rejoin the Big12 (or whatever conference the Oklahoma schools, Kansas schools, etc. are part of at the time)....just as kind of a reset. Rutgers would fight to the death to remain in the Big10. Also, there are some positive signs from Rutgers....there is a chance they could climb up to the middle of the conference in the near future. Their recruiting is clearly on the uptick.
    If there was a big realignment or some attempt to make all conferences 16 teams or something, I could see Nebraska leaving. But they aren’t just going to leave the big ten for the big 12.

Schiano is recruiting better, but the middle of the conference is the absolute ceiling for them.

If there was a big realignment or some attempt to make all conferences 16 teams or something, I could see Nebraska leaving. But they aren’t just going to leave the big ten for the big 12.

Schiano is recruiting better, but the middle of the conference is the absolute ceiling for them.
    I assume you claim that because of the money? I agree it is doubtful, but if they continue to not be competitive and feel the move would allow them to return to a higher level of football (winning more)....for whatever reasons, they are a school that I could see taking the financial hit if not massive. They have one of the best and loyal fan bases in college football, and I get the feeling they are not fans of the Big10 (mostly because they are not winning). Have to keep in mind, for years Nebraska lived off of recruiting in Texas and Big12 country...and it has been more difficult to grab the best in that region when they are no longer playing in that region.

Fwiw, I think you and I perceive the quality of the Big10 a little different.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I assume you claim that because of the money? I agree it is doubtful, but if they continue to not be competitive and feel the move would allow them to return to a higher level of football (winning more)....for whatever reasons, they are a school that I could see taking the financial hit if not massive. They have one of the best and loyal fan bases in college football, and I get the feeling they are not fans of the Big10 (mostly because they are not winning). Have to keep in mind, for years Nebraska lived off of recruiting in Texas and Big12 country...and it has been more difficult to grab the best in that region when they are no longer playing in that region.

Fwiw, I think you and I perceive the quality of the Big10 a little different.
    Mostly money. The revenue of the Big 10 and Big 12 are massively different, like nearly double. I’m sure they want to win more, but I’m not sure the conference move has much if anything to do with it. The recruiting argument probably has some merit, but they’ve always had to recruit nationally and I really don’t like playing a couple times in Texas was as big of a deal as some make it out to be. If it was then schedule non conference games in Texas, there’s like 16 schools, I’m sure they’ll take your call. I do wish they were better though. I went to the OSU game there a couple years ago and you can really see how that would be a terrifying place to play if the team was good.

I’m not sure quality really matters. Quality in college football ebbs and flows and it’s pretty hard to say the Big 12 is any better than the Big 10. I know you’re a WVU guy, but I honestly don’t care about college conference superiority conversations. They are kinda boring and are a weird side effect of the BCS era.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I like this. I'm tired of this "we need to be more inclusive". I can understand that from the aspect of giving smaller programs a shot. But other then that, it dilutes the steam too much IMO.

Making the play-offs/post-season should be tough, and still considered special, showcase of the elite that particular year. It's not the NBA(lol).
    A lot of people will claim that. They say they don't want the playoffs to be diluted. But that's the beauty of the basketball tournament. People are watching that 1st round to see the underdog schools knock off the favorites. A lot of people will struggle to remember who won the championship in such and such a year but they remember the upsets. And I think people are getting turned off watching Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson in the playoffs every season. And maybe after a bigger playoff they will still be there. But a lesser team could sneak through and become the sentimental favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    A lot of people will claim that. They say they don't want the playoffs to be diluted. But that's the beauty of the basketball tournament. People are watching that 1st round to see the underdog schools knock off the favorites. A lot of people will struggle to remember who won the championship in such and such a year but they remember the upsets. And I think people are getting turned off watching Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson in the playoffs every season. And maybe after a bigger playoff they will still be there. But a lesser team could sneak through and become the sentimental favorite.
    I'm afraid those types of upsets would be far less common by just the nature of football. It takes a lot more top level players to be competitive with a top echelon program like Bama and Ohio State. In basketball you can have one big star like Larry Bird and upset just about anyone. IMO you would see a lot more 56-0 blowouts than Texas State beating Alabama in a mind blowing upset.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I'm afraid those types of upsets would be far less common by just the nature of football. It takes a lot more top level players to be competitive with a top echelon program like Bama and Ohio State. In basketball you can have one big star like Larry Bird and upset just about anyone. IMO you would see a lot more 56-0 blowouts than Texas State beating Alabama in a mind blowing upset.
    The odds will be less for sure since the football tournament will be anywhere from a quarter to an eighth smaller than the basketball tournament. Fewer teams mean fewer upsets. So when the upsets actually happen, they will be more special.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The odds will be less for sure since the football tournament will be anywhere from a quarter to an eighth smaller than the basketball tournament. Fewer teams mean fewer upsets. So when the upsets actually happen, they will be more special.
    No doubt about that. It just won't happen every year like in the basketball tournament. I would hope people wouldn't expect that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

19. Likes:

Chip R (05-14-2021)

Turn Off Ads?