Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: College Football Playoff Expansion

Re: College Football Playoff Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    No doubt about that. It just won't happen every year like in the basketball tournament. I would hope people wouldn't expect that.
    Right. But it's not just the upsets happening, it's the possibility of one happening.

Another thing to consider is if the playoffs expand, there's a possibility of on-campus games. I know northern teams have wanted the southern teams to play in their stadiums since all the bowl games are at neutral sites which are warm weather sites. If you're an tOSU fan, wouldn't you like to see someone like LSU or Miami come to Columbus in late November/early December?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (05-14-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I'm afraid those types of upsets would be far less common by just the nature of football. It takes a lot more top level players to be competitive with a top echelon program like Bama and Ohio State. In basketball you can have one big star like Larry Bird and upset just about anyone. IMO you would see a lot more 56-0 blowouts than Texas State beating Alabama in a mind blowing upset.
    First off...Indiana St. had a future NBA player next to Bird. Carl Nicks was his name in case anyone forgot. LOL

As far as the miss-matches go, I still think there would be upsets. I mean 'Bama, tOSU, and Clemson do lose games to conference foes in the regular season.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Right. But it's not just the upsets happening, it's the possibility of one happening.

Another thing to consider is if the playoffs expand, there's a possibility of on-campus games. I know northern teams have wanted the southern teams to play in their stadiums since all the bowl games are at neutral sites which are warm weather sites. If you're an tOSU fan, wouldn't you like to see someone like LSU or Miami come to Columbus in late November/early December?
    Absolutely...hell Purdue beat tOSU a couple years back.

As far as the Northern site possibility, are all the B1G stadiums completely set up to host a game in cold weather. I know it won't be the dead of winter but wonder about field conditions and such(restrooms facilities). But yeah, playing north of the Mason-Dixon line appeals to me.

I am good with the new proposal, but I still believe it is just another step to an even larger playoff at some point. The new proposal will basically take the bowl games not associated with the playoff from life support to a certain death (as far as interest). The best parts about the new proposal...

- Notre Dame will be at a disadvantage unless they join a conference being unable to get a bye.
    - Fairness....Top 6 conference champions which takes down a wall for Group of 5 teams since more than 1 can theoretically get in by winning their conference.
    - Maintains an advantage for the elite teams each year with the bye week.....or does it? Sometimes rest is good, other times rust is bad.
    - WVU and every other "very good" program now has a reasonable chance to make the playoffs during the better years.

I am really hoping it does not end up being the SEC West and the other best 5 or 6 teams each year.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Last year was weird, so if this had existed in 2019 these are the teams that would be in

Top 5 Conference Champs
    LSU 13-0
    Ohio State 13-0
    Clemson 13-0
    Oklahoma 12-1
    Oregon 11-2
    Memphis 12-1

At Large bids
    Georgie 11-2
    Baylor 11-2
    Wisconsin 10-3
    Florida 10-2
    Penn St 10-2
    Utah 11-2

This would have ND on the outside with a 10-2 record despite being ranked in front of Memphis, guarantee a final plan would have special rules in place for them and the other independents.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Last year was weird, so if this had existed in 2019 these are the teams that would be in

Top 5 Conference Champs
    LSU 13-0
    Ohio State 13-0
    Clemson 13-0
    Oklahoma 12-1
    Oregon 11-2
    Memphis 12-1

At Large bids
    Georgie 11-2
    Baylor 11-2
    Wisconsin 10-3
    Florida 10-2
    Penn St 10-2
    Utah 11-2

This would have ND on the outside with a 10-2 record despite being ranked in front of Memphis, guarantee a final plan would have special rules in place for them and the other independents.
    Who would demand the special rules? ND AD was one of the four parties that wrote the current proposal, and I do not think BYU has that kind of pull.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

College Football Playoff Expansion

I’m all for this and knew it was only a matter of time. The CFP is a ratings monster but has also significantly diminished the interest of all the other bowls. I thought they would first go to 6 or 8 so I am surprised by the jump to 12 but that just tells me they know they could take these 8 other teams and make a lot more $ with them in a playoff format versus some bowl game only those teams non casual fans will care about. I’m a die hard Florida Gator but even I’ve lost most interest in our bowl games.

Then you have the entire issue of players opting out of their bowl games. I’m sure that helped move the needle significantly as well.

I read an article on ESPN where an SEC AD said the SEC pushed for the 12 team model.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 06-11-2021 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post

Top 5 Conference Champs
    LSU 13-0
    Ohio State 13-0
    Clemson 13-0
    Oklahoma 12-1
    Oregon 11-2
    Memphis 12-1

At Large bids
    Georgie 11-2
    Baylor 11-2
    Wisconsin 10-3
    Florida 10-2
    Penn St 10-2
    Utah 11-2

CBS posted an article showing how the 12 team format wouldve looked every year since the CFP started

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...seven-seasons/

Notre Dame wouldve been 5th last year. Oregon would have been left out as both Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina were ranked higher and won their conference championships - along with the top 4 of Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Oklahoma.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 06-11-2021 at 07:44 AM.

An important note, one reason ND signed off on the current model was because the 4 teams that are awarded a bye will have to play an additional game (Conference Championship). Notre Dame can only join the ACC if they choose to join a conference before 2036.....I think they will evaluate their position after a few years under the new format.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Who would demand the special rules? ND AD was one of the four parties that wrote the current proposal, and I do not think BYU has that kind of pull.
    The TV Networks would want those special stips cause ND the brand by itself would bring more eyeballs than most schools (or so that's popular thought process). I'm just waiting for ESPN to get their hands on this and try and make a case the SEC is a meat grinder and 6 teams from the SEC would deserve to get in over everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    I’m all for this and knew it was only a matter of time. The CFP is a ratings monster but has also significantly diminished the interest of all the other bowls. I thought they would first go to 6 or 8 so I am surprised by the jump to 12 but that just tells me they know they could take these 8 other teams and make a lot more $ with them in a playoff format versus some bowl game only those teams non casual fans will care about. I’m a die hard Florida Gator but even I’ve lost most interest in our bowl games.

Then you have the entire issue of players opting out of their bowl games. I’m sure that helped move the needle significantly as well.

I read an article on ESPN where an SEC AD said the SEC pushed for the 12 team model.
    Actually, the CFP TV ratings have been falling fast. Last year was the least watched championship game since 1999, in part because it's the same teams every year. I'm guessing the falling ratings are the major driver in the renewed expansion interest.

TV ratings source - https://www.buckeyextra.com/story/fo...ow/6649726002/
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

15. Likes:

Chip R (06-15-2021),RedTeamGo! (06-11-2021),Revering4Blue (06-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Actually, the CFP TV ratings have been falling fast. Last year was the least watched championship game since 1999, in part because it's the same teams every year. I'm guessing the falling ratings are the major driver in the renewed expansion interest.

TV ratings source - https://www.buckeyextra.com/story/fo...ow/6649726002/
    I could see this as well. I'd venture to say 95+% of the country has developed Alabama-Clemson-sometimes Ohio State fatigue at this point.

While they did go from their constant mid-20s to 19 the semis were along the lines of normal (except for the inaugural year and the 4th year).
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 06-11-2021 at 10:03 AM.

17. Likes:

Chip R (06-15-2021)

I am ok with this proposal. I would have liked to see them go best 8 teams regardless. I don't think a Group of 5 should get an auto bid because I just don't think they are good enough.....

The one positive of increasing the field is you have the chance to get a championship caliber team in the mix who had a slip up or was coming on after a slow start. OSU and OU have all had teams in the past who were capable of causing some serious damage but were left out because they lost a game they just couldn't or had a slow start.

In most seasons there aren't 4 championship level teams, the 4th seed in many years has been destroyed in the first game. I do think this gives teams like PSU, Florida, Michigan a chance to stay relevant when they just can't seem to get over the hump.

The idea of a game being played in Happy Valley between PSU and Florida in late Dec sounds awesome.

One final change, play the title game on a Sat night.

19. Likes:

Chip R (06-15-2021),Rojo Rijo (06-11-2021)

The reason for 12 teams is to get as many SEC teams in as possible. The B1G and Pac 12 were not a part of developing this. They need to play hardball to make sure no more than two teams per conference get in. College football is already in danger of becoming a regional sport. The goal for expanding the playoffs should be to expand the game nationally, not for Greg Sankey to get what he wants.

Turn Off Ads?