Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Oakland A's to explore relocation possibilities

Re: Oakland A's to explore relocation possibilities

Outside of the box idea...Albuquerque. It's the 32nd biggest city in the country and Netflix has just moved the vast majority of their production there. It's on the up and up and it would be the only pro team there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Austin/San Antonio is the other domestic location that makes the most sense to me...
    Austin's a terrible market for a Pro Sports team.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Nashville will have a team from either Oakland, St. Pete, or expansion within ten years. This will do nothing but hurt the Reds long term but it will probably happen.
    I was in Nashville over the weekend. We hadn’t been there for a couple years and the growth and new construction that has occurred is just incredible.

I’d think Austin TX would be on the list too.

"So Fla Red"

Tampa and Orlando are growing like crazy. Drop the Rays in NE Tampa (17) or Orlando (23). No way MLB is abandoning those fast growing markets. Both Orlando and Tampa have added over 500K to their respective metro area since 2010. You will soon have two top 15 markets within an hour of each other

All of FL is simply exploding with growth and corporate relocations. I mean you can actually get real corporate and finance jobs down here now...

The Lighting have been a smashing success since Day 1
    The Bucs I hear are doing well

It's an overall MLB and terrible stadium/location issue with the Rays. Also the AL East doesn't make any sense for the Rays given Tampa Bay is largely a midwest, blue collar area and history. Separating the Rays from the Big Daddy Tampa Yankees would have helped develop more of a local following.

6. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-13-2021),Phoenix2 (05-13-2021),RedsRocker (05-16-2021),Revering4Blue (05-12-2021)

Oakland A's to explore relocation possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Before Charles Finley ended up moving the A's to Oakland, he signed an agreement to move them to Louisville. They would have become the Kentucky Athletics.

It got shut down by the owners.
    I read that the other day. I couldn’t remember what year they went from KC to Oakland and had to look it up.

They could have become the KY Colonels or Louisville Sluggers also from what I read.

As for Nashville, yes its a booming town but between the Titans and Predators don’t see how this market could also support an MLB team as well.
    Last edited by SomeCallMeTim; 05-12-2021 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Outside of the box idea...Albuquerque. It's the 32nd biggest city in the country and Netflix has just moved the vast majority of their production there. It's on the up and up and it would be the only pro team there.
    The Albuquerque Walterwhites.

Breaking Bats at a stadium near you...

9. Likes:

Chip R (05-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Move them to Portland, make them a NL team and and move AZ to the AL
    2 years ago they were at the top of MLB's list to move or start a franchise. That has changed. New financial partner for the baseball group, with an very exciting location option.

Convincing the Portland public to help subsidize will be ugly. Convincing any team to move here with the current state of homelessness, violence, police hatred etc. may be even tougher.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

11. Likes:

Phoenix2 (05-13-2021),RedCanuck (05-16-2021),RedsRocker (05-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    2 years ago they were at the top of MLB's list to move or start a franchise. That has changed. New financial partner for the baseball group, with an very exciting location option.

Convincing the Portland public to help subsidize will be ugly. Convincing any team to move here with the current state of homelessness, violence, police hatred etc. may be even tougher.
    They are in Oakland though, have you been there lately? Same thing

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-13-2021)

Reds being the 1st MLB team, their big red machine history and their overall legacy makes it seem virtually impossible they would ever move. I just don't ever see it. It would be like the Packers leaving Green Bay. Just never happening.

15. Likes:

RedsRocker (05-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Reds being the 1st MLB team, their big red machine history and their overall legacy makes it seem virtually impossible they would ever move. I just don't ever see it. It would be like the Packers leaving Green Bay. Just never happening.
    Except it did almost happen.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    The Braves are the oldest continuous organization in baseball and they have moved twice, really three times if you count their recent flight to the suburbs.

History moves right along with the team.
    Go Gators!

18. Likes:

Chip R (05-14-2021)

Being from Lake City I would love this to happen!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vic715 View Post
    Being from Lake City I would love this to happen!!!
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Just so you know that everyone thinks they could be in the game.......

Attachment 17248
    Being from Lake City I would love to see this!!!
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Austin's a terrible market for a Pro Sports team.
    Depends on the sport. I suspect it will do great with soccer and could be sneaky great for football. Baseball's probably a stretch at the moment, but in 10 years both the Austin and San Antonio MSAs are going to be as big as Denver is right now, and they're basically the same TV market.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Tampa and Orlando are growing like crazy. Drop the Rays in NE Tampa (17) or Orlando (23). No way MLB is abandoning those fast growing markets. Both Orlando and Tampa have added over 500K to their respective metro area since 2010. You will soon have two top 15 markets within an hour of each other

All of FL is simply exploding with growth and corporate relocations. I mean you can actually get real corporate and finance jobs down here now...

The Lighting have been a smashing success since Day 1
    The Bucs I hear are doing well

It's an overall MLB and terrible stadium/location issue with the Rays. Also the AL East doesn't make any sense for the Rays given Tampa Bay is largely a midwest, blue collar area and history. Separating the Rays from the Big Daddy Tampa Yankees would have helped develop more of a local following.
    Agree. MLB may have gone to Tampa too early but given these populations shifts there is no way they leave now.

Turn Off Ads?